The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

B302LS Torsen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

...I have been having some issues with my Torsen unit of late and ran across this post which references communications from Torsen (the company tech rep) as follows in blue ital. text:

Finally got a response from Torsen today Bill, you'll be interested. He's saying to go with the higher-priced 2.7 bias Torsen T2R used in the BOSS Laguna (and also the BOSS R). Here's his response:

---

The unit found in the current BOSS Mustang would work best for your vehicles.
That particular unit was designed to be more robust because of the Laguna
requirements. Will you be running slicks or street legal slicks on you cars? [edit: bold is mine]
The reason for the question is that the Torsen needs to slip in order to
function properly. Slicks tend to prolong the point of slipping so much so that
the impact torque sent through the Torsen to the other tire is of a larger
magnitude than what the unit was designed for in the first place. Enough of
these high torque spikes and the unit will prematurely fail.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen!

Here is the actual link: http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?4777-Torsen-T2R-Recommendations...

- I especially am interested to hear from those who run race or DOT slicks (Gary??)

Also, what is the preferred lube for these units:

- OEM; Redline?? (& which flavor) and any others.

Thanks in advance for any replies

gremlinsteve said:
have you recorded any specific temps that your diff is seeing after a track day or during the runs?

DID NOT THINK TO, BUT YOU'RE RIGHT, SHOULD HAVE SHOT IT WITH THE INFRARED..
- Hopefully not to reoccur, however.

cloud9 said:
First I have heard of that. I am using OEM fluids and changed after 4 track hours then every 12 hours after that. So far so good.

Gary, ..on the Conti slicks??

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:
First I have heard of that. I am using OEM fluids and changed after 4a track hours then every 124 hours after that. So far so good.

Yes but I am not convinced they have as much grip as an R6 and lots of guys are running those.

Here is an email I sent to Torsen Tech. Supp. earlier today.
- Does any have info on the T2-R unit with 4.0 bias (item #2 below in my email to Torsen TS)??

Hello,
I am contacting you for information about 2 Torsen T2-R units:

1. Ford P/N: M-4204-MB (as used on the Ford Boss 302 Laguna Seca) – 2.7 bias
2. Ford P/N: M-4204-T31H (as used on the Ford Mustang FR500S) – 4.0 bias

- I have a 2012 Ford Boss 302 Laguna Seca which I compete in (NASA TTS time trial) with 305x645x18 Hoosier R100 race slicks.

Here are my questions:
A. Which of the 2 Torsen units listed above will be the most robust for my application?
o Any explanation that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
B. Can RedLine Lightweight Shockproof oil be used in these units?
See: <<http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=8>>
o Or can you please make a lubrication recommendation for severe duty use?

Thank you very much in advance for your earliest possible response.
Sincerely,

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:
First I have heard of that. I am using OEM fluids and changed after 4a track hours then every 124 hours after that. So far so good.

Yes but I am not convinced they have as much grip as an R6 and lots of guys are running those.

Well, here is a reply (on Stangs United Board) from Torsen that concerns me:

The unit found in the current BOSS Mustang would work best for your vehicles.
That particular unit was designed to be more robust because of the Laguna
requirements. Will you be running slicks or street legal slicks on you cars?
The reason for the question is that the Torsen needs to slip in order to
function properly. Slicks tend to prolong the point of slipping so much so that
the impact torque sent through the Torsen to the other tire is of a larger
magnitude than what the unit was designed for in the first place. Enough of
these high torque spikes and the unit will prematurely fail.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm waiting to hear what their response to your question is, but I believe the response that you posted above is related to drag racing applications, not road course applications.

ArizonaGT said:
I'm waiting to hear what their response to your question is, but I believe the response that you posted above is related to drag racing applications, not road course applications.

I hope you're right.
What continues to nibble at me in the quote is the reference to "the other tire," which seems to imply uneven torque distribution, i.e., tight cornering situations.
Hope I'm wrong.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I've run the car hard on the stock tires, NT01s, and R6s so far over 15 hours of track time without issue, changing the fluid at the recommended intervals.

Car currently has 10k miles on it.

ArizonaGT said:
I've run the car hard on the stock tires, NT01s, and R6s so far over 15 hours of track time without issue, changing the fluid at the recommended intervals.

Car currently has 10k miles on it.

Must be my bad.

How about Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil in these units.. - Anyone?

lbp said:
How about Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil in these units.. - Anyone?
That's what I'm using with no friction modifier.

PeteInCT said:
As you already know, I'm runing Redline Lightweight Shockproof also w/JLT reservior.

..I think there is something wrong with the driveshaft or setup.

PeteInCT said:
As you already know, I'm runing Redline Lightweight Shockproof also w/JLT reservior.

I am running the Red Line light weight also in my LS. I have however add the Cortex watts link and like the performance and hook up very well.

jim woodruff said:
PeteInCT said:

I am running the Red Line light weight also in my LS. I have however add the Cortex watts link and like the performance and hook up very well.

Cool.. I also have Filip's setup with dropped ball joints, bump steer, etc.
Do you run an aluminum drive shaft?
- Did you have any issues with pinion angle?
& what is your front/rear ride height (as per Cortex measurement points)?
Many thanks,
Lee.

can you guys running these differant gear lubes take a temp after your runs. might help some of us out. i am real curious what temp these 8.8 rears are getting up to

gremlinsteve said:
can you guys running these differant gear lubes take a temp after your runs. might help some of us out. i am real curious what temp these 8.8 rears are getting up to

..Hot enough to sizzle H20 & EGG, HOT DOG, etc.
- Hopefully not to be repeated.

For the past 10 years I've pumped over 500 hp through a Porsche (audi designed) transaxle that was developed back in the day originally for a 247 hp engine, so here we are 30 years later: better for design, but none-the-better for execution. - Actually the original Gleason (now Torsen) diff was designed in 1958.
....amazing what you can learn on the Internet ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors