The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Backroads s550 racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I need some advice..

I’m in the search for a set of coilovers for my s550 gt. My driving habits include some weekend tracking, and a whole bunch of backroads canyon driving.

I want something that wont break the bank but also performs at a high level.

Thanks for the help!!
(Here’s a picture before wheels and tires)

5EAB0B4D-291B-49DF-BB08-C9501021C448.jpeg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Henry

Welcome to the site!!

It would be helpful if you could qualify the statement "Won't break the Bank".

A set of Kona adjustable are a good starting point. JRI, MCS, Penske and others make coilovers which start at a few grand and go to OMG, I bought my first car for less.

Do you have a budget, desire for spending??

It may be helpful to look at a few of the sponsor sites and get an idea of capability and cost. Cortex, Vorshlag and Optimum support this site as sponsors only because they provide what most members want and need.

Again, welcome to the site. Enjoy the ride.

Henry

Welcome to the site!!

It would be helpful if you could qualify the statement "Won't break the Bank".

A set of Kona adjustable are a good starting point. JRI, MCS, Penske and others make coilovers which start at a few grand and go to OMG, I bought my first car for less.

Do you have a budget, desire for spending??

It may be helpful to look at a few of the sponsor sites and get an idea of capability and cost. Cortex, Vorshlag and Optimum support this site as sponsors only because they provide what most members want and need.

Again, welcome to the site. Enjoy the ride.
I’ve been highly considering the frpp pack from ford, I’m new to the tracking scene and just want a base to start at, I don’t know how to configure or setup coilovers, along with the fact that I would need to improve a lot as a driver to know what to change. Budget wise is probably around 2500 with some flexibility. I’m very new to suspension upgrades and modern car upgrades, I really have no idea what I’m doing

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Henry

That's a smart way to start. Ford likely has spend time and money on making a balanced system which is relatively affordable. Unfortunately, a Ford dealers part department is not the place to buy these parts. I usually google the part number and see what pops up.

Again, welcome to the site.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Welcome Henry, I saw your post over in the FB group. A lot of tension over there that usually doesn't spill over in here.

I'm hoping you'll create a vehicle profile so we can see what you have done to the car and give a little background info on it. That will help others get an idea of where you're at before they start tossing out recommendations.

Before you go upgrading, how long have you had the car? How many track events have you done with it? What are the characteristics you want to change with the suspension upgrades? Everyone knows the basics of what these types of upgrades do, but what have you found to be less than ideal with the way the car handles now?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good info from Luda and TMS and the quickest trick to faster times on track or through the canyons are tire .............simple, yet usually well viewed after more hp, exhaust work, brakes , suspension,etc. , when it is the single fastest item to help you go quickly. Check out Apex for rims, and the TireRack link for tires ,and then go right to Vorshlag for you camber plates and KNS or Optimum Performance for you brake pads.

Yeh , this sounds like a Sponsor site ad, but it is just a simple ballad of what one really needs to do to go fact on track when one starts, because the problem we all have is trying to get folks to knot spend a zillion dollars in horsepower and other items before they ever attack the handling issues which are so important!

PS -- of course to be fast it helps if you start with the correct color ---- never mind it seems you already did!!!!!

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Is this the one -- M-FR3A-M8A -- https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3A-M8A

Ford Marketing Intern said:
Track Handling Pack Includes:

I started my 2019GT off with that very same kit, so I'll abstain from the voting. That said, if you wait for the right time, people do coupons and don't entirely pay attention, so you could get it for just a touch over 1000, which for springs, struts, shocks, bearings, adjustable front (so beefy!) and rear swaybars isn't half bad. You get a little lower, you get a little handling, and if you're doing your first AutoX's or HPDE's, it'll do pretty good while you get your bearings and learn your car's tendencies. Not everything in that is garbage either, as I think the FRPP Front Swaybar is one of the best s550 offerings.

That, and the Oxford Clan ain't nothin to f' wit.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I would like to cast my vote for the Ford track shocks paired with BMR SP083 springs. This combo has been used by many people with great success. I'm actually getting this exact set from a member on this site (Alessandro) who used them to take first place in Muscle Cup. I dare to say it's one of the best setups without going full coilovers.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I would like to cast my vote for the Ford track shocks paired with BMR SP083 springs. This combo has been used by many people with great success. I'm actually getting this exact set from a member on this site (Alessandro) who used them to take first place in Muscle Cup. I dare to say it's one of the best setups without going full coilovers.
That's a strong endorsement. When you say "best setup without going full coilovers" - which coilovers would you consider a step up from this combo? For those who might not know what you meant. :)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
That's a strong endorsement. When you say "best setup without going full coilovers" - which coilovers would you consider a step up from this combo? For those who might not know what you meant. :)
I would say any of the usual suspects: Cortex-JRI, Ridetech, MCS, Ohlins, I'm curious how the KW V3s would do but I know their S550 kit comes with progressive springs which I try to steer away from for track performance.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have the FR3 track kit on my car. I love it. I've been accused of being a fanbois. That's OK. That kit is very streetable and is very well balanced on track, the car has no bad habits whatsoever.

It's not coilovers, but in my view that can be a big plus to people who are just starting out because Ford has done all the heavy lifting on figuring that out. There's a lot to learn before you can really start to take advantage of setting up adjustable shocks.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Haha! You witnessed the direct effect of my lack of understanding anti-squat with a dust filled interior. Luckily, we have some very experienced help here on TMO to further the education!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel