The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Bad Habit Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Lots of fun stuff coming and the only thing I would suggest is getting a second set of rims and some track tires, since tires are the #1 mod to go fast , other than seat time. Welcome to a group of Mustang Maniacs who enjoy using their Steeds as intended!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
This is the Build Thread for Bad Habit. Reply below.
Well got all the track goodies installed.
20220325_163948.jpg
FR magnaride kit
BMR stuffs
MGW shift kit
Hawk+ pads

Alignment specs (still on the staggered PS4s):
Front Camber: -2.25 Degrees
Front Toe: 0 Degrees
Rear Camber: -1.8 Degrees
Rear Toe: .10 Degrees Toe In

Not much of an opportunity to test it out due to weather but increased road feel, responsiveness, and stability / tightness is readily apparent. Shift kit makes it feel like a different trans altogether. There is 0.0 play in the shifter. At first I thought it was too tight but it's growing on me fast and I assume it'll loosen up just a little. You can just slam home 2nd or 3rd, no hesitation and minimal pitch in Sport+. Immediately noticed I didn't have to modulate / ease the clutch out for that split second w 2nd gear anymore. Haven't tried track mode yet, was too worried about the summer tires and cold temps. Steering is more communicative in general but will need to assess in some proper twisties. Aesthetically speaking, the stance and reduced wheel gap is 😎😎😎

Negatives are way way more road noise especially on the highway and it's a bit twitchy w road imperfections. Assume a lot of the tire noise and twitchiness is from the negative camber. Ride itself in normal is stiffer but not harsh at all. Definitely not the comfortable cruiser in normal mode like it was but still very livable. With the MGW shifter you can hear and feel the action which I don't mind as of now.

Verdict: probably should have sucked it up last year for a 350 or a Mach 1, or a GT and modded that instead 😆 BUT BESIDES THAT extremely impressed so far. Feels way more sports car than sporty muscle grand tourer. And the Bullitt is still the best looking S550 😎

Couple of random pics:

Rear sway and diff bushings
20220325_173829.jpg
BMR toe links
20220325_175314.jpg
Front sway that must not have been fun to install
20220325_175510.jpg
Rear ride height
20220325_164300.jpg

20220325_173916.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Got a bit more seat time today, will need more this weekend to use my rear and ears to figure out if there's an issue. There's a thunk from the exhaust / subframe / differential when driving over undulations or dips in the road at even low speeds. Not potholes but big frost heaves. Originally thought it was the exhaust but it's too inconsistent. Tentatively think it's when the suspension is unbalanced w/ 1 wheel down. Might just be how it is with the added stiffness. Search "thunk" in a mustang forum and you'll get a week of reading. I know the bushings were clocked with the suspension weighted. Also want to figure out if the low howl at highway speeds is tire noise or gear whine from the diff. Will try varying speeds, loading and unloading trans, etc.

Thoughts welcome on how to sus out any gremlins.

Really digging the MGW shifter. Feeling / hearing the gear load up is quite satisfying. Still getting used to how short the throws are - accidently dropped it into 4th today looking for 2nd and got to re-program the left leg to match the quicker shift. Ride height is perfect, still don't need to worry about reasonable driveway approaches but the body control is much improved.

Post wash vanity pic b/c if nothing else, I hated seeing that rear wheel gap.

20220329_144150.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Apex VS-5RS 19x10 in satin black + GY F1s 285s all around going on tomorrow for designated track shoes. Can't wait to try them out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Got a bit more seat time today, will need more this weekend to use my rear and ears to figure out if there's an issue. There's a thunk from the exhaust / subframe / differential when driving over undulations or dips in the road at even low speeds. Not potholes but big frost heaves. Originally thought it was the exhaust but it's too inconsistent. Tentatively think it's when the suspension is unbalanced w/ 1 wheel down. Might just be how it is with the added stiffness. Search "thunk" in a mustang forum and you'll get a week of reading. I know the bushings were clocked with the suspension weighted. Also want to figure out if the low howl at highway speeds is tire noise or gear whine from the diff. Will try varying speeds, loading and unloading trans, etc.

Thoughts welcome on how to sus out any gremlins.

Really digging the MGW shifter. Feeling / hearing the gear load up is quite satisfying. Still getting used to how short the throws are - accidently dropped it into 4th today looking for 2nd and got to re-program the left leg to match the quicker shift. Ride height is perfect, still don't need to worry about reasonable driveway approaches but the body control is much improved.

Post wash vanity pic b/c if nothing else, I hated seeing that rear wheel gap.

View attachment 74003
This post is a little old, but just noticed it…Did you ever find the “thunk”? I don’t see the clamps that keep your rear anti-roll bar from sliding to the side. This could allow your rear end links to hit the frame if the bar isn’t centered.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
This post is a little old, but just noticed it…Did you ever find the “thunk”? I don’t see the clamps that keep your rear anti-roll bar from sliding to the side. This could allow your rear end links to hit the frame if the bar isn’t centered.
I will check that thank you! But everything seemed to resolve itself after 2 weeks Bushings were just tight at first. It's an incredible set up although now I get one hell of a squeek over uneven pavement at parking lot speeds, not even sure if it's related. Gonna try greasing the back seats.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Wrenching season is in full swing. Unfortunately only been able to do 30min to and hour here and there so progress is slow. Hit list for April in no particular order:
  • DSS aluminum driveshaft
  • Steeda clutch assist spring
  • Transmission fluid swap to Syncro Shift 2
  • Oil change to 5w-40 full synthetic
  • Schroff quickfit pro install
  • 93 and e85 tune from Tuning by James
  • Splash / rock guard install
  • Brake fluid flush
  • Thorough wheel cleaning

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Progress on the driveshaft install has been slow but managed to get the exhaust off solo without too much trouble. Tomorrow going to try and bang out the rest.

Real happy I sprung for some jacking rails last year. Makes setting the car up properly on jacks so much easier.

20230413_182437.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Seeing all your " Band " posts I do believe you must be an old rocker like me --- of course we are both old enough to be sitting in rockers , ha.

Love seeing all the upgrades to the Bullitt TDL and you need to consider bringing it down to Hastings, Nebraska for the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup in September ( check out www.racemph.com ).

Whoops, I forgot the registration for the event is going up this weekend , I had my dates mixed up, so check that website next week!!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TDL ----- Baaaddd financially is almost always the case with those afflicted with " Trackraticus " since the minute we think we are done we find out there is some new trick. I can't add up how many times I bought a new set of tires just to find out there was a " New and Improved " set just out , and everyone else had them. Part of the reason I stay glued to tire changes religiously , but then of course some times the " Baddd Finances " compromise my desires as the item I want is at a " Gold Standard " and I have Bronze or even Copper money to spend, ha!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Update: took 2 hours to get the shaft out after unbolting both ends bc the trans mount is locktited. Got 1 bolt out and just yanked after probably nearly frying my cordless impact gun. Onwards!20230414_121500.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel