The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Badger - 2011 S197 Gen3 Swap Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Capaldi send over the FP350S Setrab 960 and it is truly massive. Weighs in at ~10lbs as well.
I am afraid mounting this might have to wait till after the shakedown. Happy for any mounting suggestions or recommendations for anyone who might have brackets for this.

My old Mishimoto for comparison:
A1D3BCBD-D7F7-4313-98D5-B76235ECF2C8.jpg
IMG_5428.jpeg

God that thing is huge. Didn't know they made 960's anymore, I only found 948's.

I'm in the middle of mounting my 948 now. I have two threaded bosses on the front passenger side of my radiator that the Setrab bracket fit nicely on with only a bit of filing. Mounted sideways for straighter plumbing runs. Doing -12 for lowest pressure drop. The fittings and hose are huge but I think will be worth it. If you use the Setrab sandwich plate it has M22 ports so you can do full -12 fittings and lines without any -10.

Also the nomex honeycomb is amazingly tough and light. Even just for protecting the cooler and radiator for this fab phase its saved a bunch of dings.

Ducting is going to be a pain but worth it. Was good for 30* lower CHT on my Ecoboost.

537D518A-718D-43FE-881B-E2CFB0166456.jpeg

8E1AA4A8-487A-4048-B63D-4C521EF54C5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
God that thing is huge. Didn't know they made 960's anymore, I only found 948's.

I'm in the middle of mounting my 948 now. I have two threaded bosses on the front passenger side of my radiator that the Setrab bracket fit nicely on with only a bit of filing. Mounted sideways for straighter plumbing runs. Doing -12 for lowest pressure drop. The fittings and hose are huge but I think will be worth it. If you use the Setrab sandwich plate it has M22 ports so you can do full -12 fittings and lines without any -10.

Also the nomex honeycomb is amazingly tough and light. Even just for protecting the cooler and radiator for this fab phase its saved a bunch of dings.

Ducting is going to be a pain but worth it. Was good for 30* lower CHT on my Ecoboost.

View attachment 71774

View attachment 71773

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures that is very helpful and gives me a good idea how to go about it. How many anchor points did you use for the cooler?
I got the Setrab plate as well to go -12 all around. Basically just like your setup but with 12 more rows. What thermostat are you going for?
IMG_5431.jpeg

Capaldi Racing has the 960 in stock. @ArizonaBOSS recommended going for this one while starting over.

Nice!

The cooler has two bolts on the left side bracket and one up at the core support for the right side. Was going to do a 4th bottom right but it seems solid enough with the three.

I went with the 180* thermostat.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Please re-read the NASA rules regarding Fuel Cells (how the in-car tank will be treated). You're going to need a bulkhead. The lines themselves do not need to be contained within the bulkhead (if they are braided stainless or better), but consider your own safety in the case that a fitting becomes compromised somehow, you don't want pressurized fuel spraying onto you or up into the driver's area in-general.

It's cheap insurance. @captdistraction has a number of photos in his thread of the containment "bulkhead" that we fabricobbled together in his garage that will meet the intent and needs.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Please re-read the NASA rules regarding Fuel Cells (how the in-car tank will be treated). You're going to need a bulkhead. The lines themselves do not need to be contained within the bulkhead (if they are braided stainless or better), but consider your own safety in the case that a fitting becomes compromised somehow, you don't want pressurized fuel spraying onto you or up into the driver's area in-general.

It's cheap insurance. @captdistraction has a number of photos in his thread of the containment "bulkhead" that we fabricobbled together in his garage that will meet the intent and needs.

Already done and ordered! I did some more reading up yesterday after an initial quick glance at the NASA ST rules did now show anything. I finally found it in the CCR - Club Codes & Regulations

1. There should be a solid bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and vent lines, from the driver compartment.

Edit:
@captdistraction got any pics of your bulkhead? Can't locate any in your thread and I think last time I've seen your car it wasn´t installed yet.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Just for reference, the SCCA rule books also usually have a general chapter on "Safety" for things like this, so it can be written/printed once and cover all the individual class/category allowance chapters.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Decided on a mounting spot for the surge tank: Back in the trunk.
The screws for the tail lights neatly take care of the relay and the fuse as well. Now I got to order all the missing fittings and route the rest.
2C8AFC12-B935-4064-A0ED-A857BB63460A.jpeg
AME 50-1200 E85 installed:
8B4DDDEC-D6CA-4C4B-A418-33D268B5819D.jpeg

Setting up the intake manifold with the Radium rails and return style fuel system:
IMG_5517.jpeg
IMG_5510.jpeg

2011 TB be gone, 2018 TB here we go:
IMG_5521.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There’s a little arc burn on the one door hinge but nothing bad at all looks good to me
Yeah there’s a little carbide precipitation but being what this is its probably inconsequential.

9CBB1D82-829C-4C4D-A88E-EFDC17D7637C.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Might wanna knock that little knob off there so it doesn’t end up In the motor.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nice work!

3845694B-A147-4020-82B9-E4933CEEC2E5.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Awesome, thx guys. Much appreciated! Sounds like good news to me and I will take care of that knob.

I test fitted the pan and it fit without major issues. I will have to get some clay and test the pick-up tube clearance next.
DC01C061-E6BB-4759-B561-20D330CBB8BE.jpeg

That said, the FP350S gasket does not fit a Gen3 without modifications. The FP350S gasket is actually the same part number as the gasket in the GT500 oil pan kit, go figure.
52E2CF98-7CF7-4175-B412-268CBF939816.jpeg

I ended using the gasket that I initially trimmed for the gen3 pickup for GT500 pan and it all came together without issues.
IMG_5573.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not mine sadly. That is what Chris did on his.
Yes I know, I’m on my iPad and it’s not post friendly as a desktop.

TMO Supporting Vendors