The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Badger - 2011 S197 Gen3 Swap Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
The ports using the mini plugs are also undersize, so to properly tap them for a 1/4" plug would require them to be drilled out.
That sounds like a hassle to have to drill the ports out. Definitely a job best suited for such a time an engine build when the heads have to be removed. MMR’s website says they’re working on a version for the 2018+ cars, but I don’t see how they can make it an easy install if the ports need to be drilled.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Big step forward: Car is starting again!
I am looking to solve two issues:

• Need a good 2nd ground spot on the block. The rear port does not exist on my heads.
  • Solve starter shorting on its heat shield.

The heat shield on the starter keeps shorting with the contacts. Peeling the shield back further solved the issue temporarily. I need to find a proper solution for this though. How did you resolve this issues on your cars?
IMB_nB3WSv.gif
(Orange is an optional trigger cable that came with the starter and not is connected)
IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_6363.jpeg

Other progress:
Interior is back in for test fitting. Looks boring but a sight I have not seen in a year.
D96138F4-0BD4-4CB1-8EAC-5B18A1BABCC8.jpeg

Merging an S550 ECU bracket with an S197 bracket and test fitting it. Will need a proper redo but works fine as a placeholder.
8CBD50FE-D57F-4DCA-B29A-C234469B2B0E.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Fluidyone 3-row 3-pass installed.
I am currently using the gt500 fan and shroud but looking to improve upon this.
D985B3AB-FFD6-4937-9513-5FF3BB58077B.jpeg

Installed a water temp sender for good measure. The tapes purpose is to keep the sleeve from fraying further.
4823E375-A002-420B-9FE2-A7DD76A8F8D8.jpeg

Dash wiring has been uncluttered, cleaned and hooked up. The OEM Ford connector on the control pack came broken and was also fixed. Now the car starts with the press of a button!
The panel itself will be redone.
54D8E63E-88D2-4997-B801-864674ACF53C.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Fluidyone 3-row 3-pass installed.
I am currently using the gt500 fan and shroud but looking to improve upon this.
View attachment 82533

Installed a water temp sender for good measure. The tapes purpose is to keep the sleeve from fraying further.
View attachment 82536

Dash wiring has been uncluttered, cleaned and hooked up. The OEM Ford connector on the control pack came broken and was also fixed. Now the car starts with the press of a button!
The panel itself will be redone.
View attachment 82535
Glad to see you’re back on it - looking great! What event are you looking at for the shakedown?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Glad to see you’re back on it - looking great! What event are you looking at for the shakedown?
The earliest event I can make it to, hah. Having a solid pace right now but still have to figure out how to mount the giant oil cooler and the ducting. Granted, its winter the car will likely be fine without the ducting. Eyeballing the SV one, but cant make any promises. I still need a tune, alignment, make sure ABS and new brakes all work properly as well. Lots of small factors that might as well not be an issue but certainly have potential to throw a wrench into plans.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Going to replace the rats nest of 10 deutsch connectors in the foot space with some HD30 Series bulk head pass-throughs.
Nice kit from mavenspeed.com btw. comes with backing plates, wrapped in a microfiber towel, drill stencils, pin out chart and even a pen for it. Nothing crazy but nice to see since many shops treat it as fire and forget.
3261B16D-D82D-4860-AD3B-5A6A57F0DBB2.jpeg

Art and crafts ducting is in progress. Needless to say, the Setrab 960 is a bit hefty.
C10B8D84-6FF5-4887-B561-6A95327379A0.jpeg

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Going to replace the rats nest of 10 deutsch connectors in the foot space with some HD30 Series bulk head pass-throughs.
Nice kit from mavenspeed.com btw. comes with backing plates, wrapped in a microfiber towel, drill stencils, pin out chart and even a pen for it. Nothing crazy but nice to see since many shops treat it as fire and forget.
View attachment 82570

Art and crafts ducting is in progress. Needless to say, the Setrab 960 is a bit hefty.
View attachment 82569
That Mavenspeed bulkhead pass through kit is very nice! I saw one on a FBO 65 Cadillac with an LS swap in it at a car show a few months ago.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Epic build! ... it leaves me feeling like a complete gen3 build is a little too much for the likes of me. Don't feel up to all that electrical work. But you will end up with a great motor in the end.

Thanks man! The electronics are not has bad as they look but are certainly time consuming. All it is is removing the cables of things you don't need anymore and not loose track. With a labeler it really aint that bad. If you don't need ABS or light its even easier.
The control pack takes care of the engine part just fine.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
The car has not overheated once since the install. This sadly is due to me being busy in life than the actual part doing its work on a running car. So no feedback on that unfortunately.

I am jogging my memory on this. IIRC it had single use plugs that needed to be pulled
I also still need to find a spot for the ground strap as I am unable to reach the stock location at this point. I will post here once I have figures it out.

I got ported gen3 heads. These are the exact ones:
FYI, I found a spot to relocate the ground strap from the rear of the driver’s side head. I moved it to the top left transmission bolt which has a stud on it. Worked out perfectly. Thought I’d share that info. with you since you were also looking to relocate yours.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
FYI, I found a spot to relocate the ground strap from the rear of the driver’s side head. I moved it to the top left transmission bolt which has a stud on it. Worked out perfectly. Thought I’d share that info. with you since you were also looking to relocate yours.
Good call and thanks for sharing! I will check that out.

This is looking great! Have you figured out how to make the S197 ABS module standalone, or are you still using CAN?

Well, kinda. I still have the Gen1 ECU in the car as well on top of the Gen3 control pack. I am using it solely as a "chassis ECU" to run ABS/Speed Sensors and chassis related controls such as lights, windows and HVAC.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Some updates from the last weekends.

Worked a bunch on an Cardboard Assisted Designs to block out the ducting. The oil cooler is separately ducted with a curve blended as as smooth as it fits.
1179B9F9-519B-4624-A7F3-B32EA35A7987.jpeg

Added a big Spal fan. 5.4lbs vs the 7.6lbs of the GT500 fan and shroud and should be a lot less restrictive.
151A7221-5BC8-484C-A0B6-A08B2784BA19.jpeg

Then I looked into leaning the radiator. Two cuts and two holes and I got close to 10° of lean. Not bad for little effort.
027E525C-B38A-40BA-AEB5-52BBEBFB969A.jpeg
D2D25051-32D1-4B49-8771-A96F4878E0EC.jpeg

But after mulling on it for a bit I decided to go for the full 30° lean before doing the final construction on the ducting.
I am getting the lower bracket rewelded in a 30° angle this week.
E8A66723-EFDA-45C3-95F3-F4C4348671C3.jpeg

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 30* lean is looking great, man. Please provide more pictures as you go--I am likely to do the same over the summer, and also move my oil cooler behind the radiator (and add a fan pack).

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
While waiting for parts and welds I started practicing some basic metal fab work.
The ECU brackets seemed to be a perfect test subject. Not the prettiest but certainly functional and very entertaining to make.

Gen3 Control pack in the engine bay. 0.4lbs, 3lbs down from the old one:
F9C7680D-AC01-4137-A6CC-A4CBDBC5361E.jpeg
IMG_1118.jpeg
58BCAE03-A52E-4688-B5B6-386B0A6F8B53.jpeg

Gen1 ECU inside the dash:
EDB0C731-7BFD-41B3-80EA-8D378C4D94AC.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Loving the dimple-die work and rolled edges. Great for weight savings and strength. Do you have that equipment in-house?
Yep, its just some dimple dies, 8" vice metal brakes and and Eastwood sheet metal brake. Do not get the later, its junk. Came dirty, chipped and the handle already snapped off.

The folded edges add so much strength. Pretty obvious, but still fun to see when you work on it your self and you see a wobbly piece of aluminum turn into a pretty sturdy bracket.

TMO Supporting Vendors