The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bahrain F1 race yesterday... wow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Just watched the video. OMG!!!

Went through steel barriers. Car on fire. Looks like something no one would survive. Then he stands up and jumps out of the car.

Fantastic work by engineers on this one. Saved his life.

Last edited:
We let them race, but we try and keep them as safe as we can..."we" being all the safety people involved. If this happened 20 yrs ealier, the result may have been different...Thank God for modern technology, which is still evolving...................

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
We let them race, but we try and keep them as safe as we can..."we" being all the safety people involved. If this happened 20 yrs ealier, the result may have been different...Thank God for modern technology, which is still evolving...................
Hell, just 4 years ago it likely would have been different - take a look at the halo damage:

En_-fO9XIAAux1c?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Doubt he would have survived that impact to the head.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Saw it as well and I'm amazed. Lance Stroll got turned upside down and walked way as well. The Halo received well deserved credit for saving lives.

Yeah.. well I watched Stroll to struggle to get out of that car with the halo and I'm still not sold on it. with regards to the Haas car, a decent barrier would've prevented that, as it was the halo probably did save his life in this instance. He's extremely fortunate that his lower extremities were not severely damaged in the impact or he would not have been able to get out of that car.. or what was left of it. The fire suits that are mandatory today are fantastic and we can all thank Bill Simpson for doing a lot of the pioneering in that and helmet design, basically forcing the industry to improve.
The first kart race I ran at Daytona, a kart lost it in turn 1, the kart went backward towards the armco, which was then a single panel even though they race motorcycles there for years. His kart pierced the haybales, backwards, the armco rail caught the back of his helmet (a laydown kart) and peeled the driver out of the kart, impaling him on the steering column, he was DRT.. dead right there. Daytona finally twin railed all the armco after that because of the karters and the bike guys raising hell (I think a bike guy had his leg amputated about the same time going under the single rail). Armco really has no place on a modern race track.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel