The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bank 2, Sensor 1 Access

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted here... mostly because life got in the way and I stopped tracking the mustang. But now all those track miles are showing their wear and tear.

I have to replace the driver side, upstream A/F sensor, i.e. bank 2, sensor 1. However, I'm having a hard time accessing the driver side sensor. From the top, the master cylinder and the steering shaft are in the way. From the bottom, there's minimal clearance to rotate the sensor with an o2 sensor socket and combination of extensions and a universal joint. Preferably, I'd like to accomplish this sensor replacement with no, or minimal, removal of other components, because almost everything is rusted shot down there, but if I have to remove other components, I will.

One possible method I see from the bottom is by hitting the 3/8" extension with a hammer, while the extension is attached to the o2 sensor socket with a universal joint. However, without a lift, I have minimal clearance to swing a hammer.

fyi, I was able to replace the passenger side, upstream A/F sensor with minimal effort from the top by removing the battery and the battery tray.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

yep, it's a PITA
I use one of these, a long extension and the flex head ratchet. It is still a PITA. I put the O2 socket on the sensor, feed the long extension up to it, then break it loose that way, Then you have to do the thing where it's"wrench loose, finger tight" song and dance and eventually get it to where you can unscrew it by hand. Feeding the new one up also sucks, get it started, hopefully run it almost all the way down with your fingers, then use the socket to tighten it.
I'm not positive this is the right size, but I think it is.

Last edited:
yep, it's a PITA
I use one of these, a long extension and the flex head ratchet. It is still a PITA. I put the O2 socket on the sensor, feed the long extension up to it, then break it loose that way, The you have to do the thing where it's"wrench loose, finger tight" song and dance and eventually get it to where you can unscrew it by hand. Feeding the new one up also sucks, get it started, ho[efully run it almost all the way down with your fingers, then use the socket to tighten it.
I'm not positive this si the right size, but I think it is.

Thanks for the info!
I figured clearance was my issue. I have a similar o2 socket, but it doesnt have that 6 point wrench-end, so I was very limited on positioning the socket on the sensor and the wrench. Hoping the new 12 point sockets I ordered will give me enough adjustability to get the clearance and positioning I need.

Also, 22mm (7/8") is the correct size.

Last edited:
Quick update.
I ended up attempting replacing the sensor a couple of more times with no luck. Broke one of the new tools in the process, so I decided to take it to a shop.
Turns out the sensor was seized in there pretty good. Took the shop 3hrs to remove it... they ended up using a torch and an air hammer to get it to budge.

20230409_205756.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors