The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Barry 2005 NASA NE Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the csf big aluminium radiator ..
The black o ees on my 05 are 19s and the are off a later s550 mustang ..I have Apex EC7s in 18 x 11 for my race wheels ..I'll be selling the 19s shorrly ..
Barry
You still need to look at that article on cooling. It's more than just the rad.

Aussiebj

An Aussie living in the States
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Long Island NY

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No mention of whether you are considering running in NASA or SCCA, but do pay attention to the rules and where you want to run. For instance, running 18x11s like I did, put me into ST2 at the time , though you would likely be in ST3 with the 4.6. In fact it could go into ST4 ( NASA ) with 18.9s and also into American Sedan ( SCCA ) with certain specifics for both groups.

Just bringing this up as I have seen a couple of guys at the track who made a bunch of cool changes only to find there was no real Class for them to run in where they could be competitive, and in one case the gentleman needed to redo his entire roll cage ( there are specific mounting procedures and tube thicknesses ).

I think the easiest places to make it eligible would be in ST4, American Iron, or America Sedan where smaller wheels and tires are required, and Apex makes plenty of smaller 18s, ha. You would be able to sell the 18x11s in no time and overall those Classes will be the least expensive to run over the years.

You might also look into Spec Mustang in NASA as one more option.

Aussiebj

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Long Island NY
No mention of whether you are considering running in NASA or SCCA, but do pay attention to the rules and where you want to run. For instance, running 18x11s like I did, put me into ST2 at the time , though you would likely be in ST3 with the 4.6. In fact it could go into ST4 ( NASA ) with 18.9s and also into American Sedan ( SCCA ) with certain specifics for both groups.

Just bringing this up as I have seen a couple of guys at the track who made a bunch of cool changes only to find there was no real Class for them to run in where they could be competitive, and in one case the gentleman needed to redo his entire roll cage ( there are specific mounting procedures and tube thicknesses ).

I think the easiest places to make it eligible would be in ST4, American Iron, or America Sedan where smaller wheels and tires are required, and Apex makes plenty of smaller 18s, ha. You would be able to sell the 18x11s in no time and overall those Classes will be the least expensive to run over the years.

Ill be running in GTS 3 where there is only a power to weight restriction .. ST3 or American Iron .. with NASA NE....Last 2 years I ran a e36BMW in GTS 2 and won the 2022 Championship so I always wanted to race a mustang .. call me crazy , Yes I read and looked at all the classes the car could fit in ......GTS would restrict me from running in a National event but as long as I complete the necessary number of races in a class i fit in I can still make the Nationals at Pitt Race this year... I need to weigh and Dyno her before I really decide on Classing at this point..

Aussiebj

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Long Island NY

Bill I added pics of the current state in the build section I think.....Oh and thanks for the inteserst and info..
Barry

TMO Supporting Vendors