The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI on my 2011 that had the MT 82. (we did the TSB) The dual clutch fluid is what Ford uses and it made difference. That car had a MGW which also made a significant improvement in the shifting. I wonder if the redline would be better than the dual clutch fluid ? It seems to be a well known and trusted product. Any body tried both of them or have any comparason info?

I Installed the MGW on the Boss yesterday and as expected much better. Worth while mod for the money. I also put the optionable heat shield on and very little increase in noise. I slipped off the rubber pad I was using to get the ball off and marked up the ball. (my cost is $86.00) Being that I have a body shop at my house I sanded out the marks preserving the white letters and will have to re clear it with PPG Deltron 2020. That's about a hour's worth of work but it should be good to go after that. Lesson learned be careful when taking the ball off.

I have installed two of these now so any central Florida guys need a hand drop me a line. (frame lift makes it a whole lot easier. Best tool I have ever bought)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I sent this to some members in a PM - sharing here:

OK - So lesson 1 - get a GOOD strap wrench.

I used a Rigid 31340 (home depot):
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench

It is not a rubber strap model like some others, which can't handle the torque that this one can. That said, the poly strap will slip on the shifter ball without some help. I took a small 10" x 10" section of rubber carpet padding (the stuff you put under carpets to prevent them from slipping on hardwood floors - like this http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Premium-Runner-Floor-Surfaces/dp/B0028RHDJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330604444&sr=8-2 ) and wrapped the shifter ball in it, then put the wrench strap around that. No heating, etc. Came off fairly easily, you just need to lean on it a bit at first to break the threadlock seal.

Thanks for the tips.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
regalt87 said:
FYI on my 2011 that had the MT 82. (we did the TSB) The dual clutch fluid is what Ford uses and it made difference. That car had a MGW which also made a significant improvement in the shifting. I wonder if the redline would be better than the dual clutch fluid ? It seems to be a well known and trusted product. Any body tried both of them or have any comparason info?

I Installed the MGW on the Boss yesterday and as expected much better. Worth while mod for the money. I also put the optionable heat shield on and very little increase in noise. I slipped off the rubber pad I was using to get the ball off and marked up the ball. (my cost is $86.00) Being that I have a body shop at my house I sanded out the marks preserving the white letters and will have to re clear it with PPG Deltron 2020. That's about a hour's worth of work but it should be good to go after that. Lesson learned be careful when taking the ball off.

I have installed two of these now so any central Florida guys need a hand drop me a line. (frame lift makes it a whole lot easier. Best tool I have ever bought)

I was concerned that I would mar the finish when I took the shifter ball off. I ordered a replacement for $50.00 with shipping. Shop around and you will beat the $86.00 list.

Thanks great tips. I sanded the marks out and then graduated to finer and finer paper. Taped off the numbers so to not sand through them. Last grit used was 2000 grit. It almost shines again. I ran out of time but I will sand with 2500 and it should buff back to a shine. Figured at this point I can't hurt it.

Edit: Yester day I had the dual clutch fluid TSB done and it shifts even better. A very worth while mod.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We have installed an insane number of MGW short throw shift kits in Vipers over the years and have done a decent amount in Mustangs. With the new Boss 302 , the car is close to perfect in many areas, IMHO, but the shift linkage is something to be desired. Having been affiliated with Hurst , and I don't think too many will argue that they aren't a quality company ( B&M is a subsidiary also ), yet we have never come across a short throw shift mechanism that is the equal to MGW, including theirs. Having driven a Boss with the system, the changes are beyond dramatic and for the track rat, it is, in my estimation, an absolute must.

With the 2nd largest Ford Store in the Nation and the 3rd largest Chrysler store , we get offered tons of products to try. We are not only sold on MGW , we soundly endorse it and as alot of folks have already mentioned , the customer service is superb.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1. I'm a believer - fully broken in now and it's lightyears beyond the stock shifter. Even if I didn't track the car and never had a problem with getting stuck between the gates, the feel is so different I actually enjoy driving the car even more.

Gary - Tell them to hurry up with that order ! ;D

PS: The LS is going 'under the knife' again Monday to try to squeeze out some more camber. -1.7 feels great but there should be more there....

I also have a mgw shifter kit on order I believe they are the best out there simply cause they replaced everything that has any problem no more stock stamped body I can not wait to bust some knuckles putting it in. what is with the clutch fluid change and the tranny fluid change?

I installed the mgw shifter today and I somehow missed the part were someone was supposed to help. It was simple enough with the exception of the boot, what a pain the butt. I almost felt as if I didn't do it right because it went together so easy. I guess dexterity helps but it was simple. As for the way it shifts now, I'm happy with it. I feel a little more connected to the car and it definitely did away with the rubbery feel. Reverse and 5-6 requires a little more effort but it's not a big deal, I'll need to drive it a little more and see after it's broken in. There wasn't any increase noise because I installed the heat shield too.

I believe a few of the most impotant parts are one including the heat shield and two being that when you install it to put it together loose have everything in the car loose then tighten it up this allows for the parts to align before being tightned so when finished there are no binding spots anywhere. I just need them to get their orders done:)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
06GT to 13LS said:
Ordered the MGW with heat shield. Let's see what gets here first, the shifter or my Q2 build LS that as of last week had no VIN/build date scheduled.
might be a close call lol. still waiting on my shifter to ship.

Sounds about right, 3-4 weeks. They don't keep them in stock. But they ship nextday air when it's finished. Very precise workmanship, worth the wait.

Justin

racered302 said:
Sounds about right, 3-4 weeks. They don't keep them in stock. But they ship nextday air when it's finished. Very precise workmanship, worth the wait.
yeah I placed my order March 14th. I thought it might be awhile but man they should really scale up cause not everyone will wait around and they will just go else where. I have had steeda, B&M and MGW shifters in the past and MGW is worth the wait.

Well they told me that they are building a lot of 100 of them this round? I did send them an email yesterday they said they are shipping out next week? I dont know when but the shifter is a nice one for sure and all of the others do not impress me on how they are built they all use the stock main body that to me is not worth changing then. The second mine arrives I will post ???

Justin

My friend has one in his 12 GT no question it is the way to go. there is just a little bit more trans noise in the interior but sounds like its all coming from the driveshaft. the shifts are so so so much better. if you order one and you dont like it trust me if the wait is this long you will have no problem getting your money back reselling cause I would buy a used one for the same price to get it now.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel