The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
Just ordered a Steeda Tri-Ax today after driving with one in a friend's car this weekend, and knowing that he runs his car at least as hard as mine on the road course. $249 shipped. Let the games begin...

Not to sound like a jerk but you should have Manned up and bought the real thing MGW just compare what you get and look at why they change so many parts it is not for looks I guess you can always man up later and put that half shifter on ebay ;D No pun intended ::) Let the games begin...

thanks man and i would MORE than welcome you and anybody here to come by and visit and if you need your shifter installed by me personally i charge ZERO for this service!!!

regards
george

[/quote] Now that is an offer, damn you really are not out to make any money huh.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
Just ordered a Steeda Tri-Ax today after driving with one in a friend's car this weekend, and knowing that he runs his car at least as hard as mine on the road course. $249 shipped. Let the games begin...
did you get the rear bracket as well?

thanks man and i would MORE than welcome you and anybody here to come by and visit and if you need your shifter installed by me personally i charge ZERO for this service!!!

regards
george

George you wouldn't happen to be based out of Boston would you? maybe own a vacation home on the Vineyard or something? ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
boss2511 said:
ArizonaGT said:

I already have it installed on my car, it tightened things up a little with the stiffer bushing, but did not eliminate my issues. The car I drove w/ tri-ax had a very positive engagement, but had the stock bushing installed.

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
boss2511 said:
ArizonaGT said:

I already have it installed on my car, it tightened things up a little with the stiffer bushing, but did not eliminate my issues. The car I drove w/ tri-ax had a very positive engagement, but had the stock bushing installed.
I think you will be happy with the steeda shifter had one in my 96 Cobra for years it was much better than factory and they make quality stuff. I later installed a MGW shifter in that cobra and it was better in regards to NVH and smoothness the tri-ax just had a more "engaged" feeling like no mistaking if it was in gear. If money was an issue I would def go with the steeda and do that in stages rear bracket then shifter.

Installed the mgw today well the install went fine a second hand is the best way to do this. The shifter feels great I can understand the break in period spring do that but it is not to hard no big deal it is louder then stock for sure even with all of the added dampner but that is exactly what race car is. I will say my sone helped out I had him in the car when the stock shifter was moved around I was underneath the car the stock shifter does move alot around a quarter inch atleast pretty sad Ford but the mgw after installed I could not see any movement at all with the body ;D My actual opinion is---Ford should get off their as- and start getting these in their cars. ;D Thank you MGW great product 100% satisfied what a difference you are now on my great company list.

Jeep. Sounds like you're happy with your new MGW shifter. How long did it take to install? Did you raise the car up from the front or the back? Just curious as me & my son will be installing this ourselves also. Any tips or headaches we can learn from? Just wish I was close to Georgia so I could have George At MGW install for me.

I hope you all remember to please post any tips on the MGW install in the How To thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/mgw-mt82-shifter-install/

Maui
Rick,
When i get mine I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and tips. Hope it'spretty straight forward ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
I hope you all remember to please post any tips on the MGW install in the How To thread.

Justin

808Boss said:
Rick,
When i get mine I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and tips. Hope it'spretty straight forward ;D

5 DOT 0 said:

if you need more than the directions and videos to install the shifter....walk away from the tool box...

302BOB said:
Jeep. Sounds like you're happy with your new MGW shifter. How long did it take to install? Did you raise the car up from the front or the back? Just curious as me & my son will be installing this ourselves also. Any tips or headaches we can learn from? Just wish I was close to Georgia so I could have George At MGW install for me.

The directions are great from MGW just follow them step by step and you will have zero problems as far as I being happy YES the thing is great I love it more each time I drive the car it just does the fix on any shifter problems at all it really turns the car more towards a race car and I have been able to shift it much faster I never had a problem shifting with the stock shifter but now looking back the stock shifter is JUNK no camparison and I will say this with confidence the other shifters out there do not compare at all until they replace everything that MGW replaces they can not compare so dont waste your money on any other this is one of the great products to install on any mustang but the boss needs it for sure.

boss2511 said:
808Boss said:
Rick,

5 DOT 0 said:

if you need more than the directions and videos to install the shifter....walk away from the tool box...
I'm hoping that people installing their MGW will have additional tips that aren't in the instructions and videos.

I'm hoping that people installing their MGW will have additional tips that aren't in the instructions and videos.
[/quote]

No need it is a simple install. The only tip I can think of is follow directions ;D

Justin

jeepinocala said:

No need it is a simple install. The only tip I can think of is follow directions ;D
[/quote]+1 well maybe let the car cool for a few hours if you just drove it.

5 DOT 0 said:

It is always a good thing when people take on a new project and succeed, especially if they have never done it before. Even better is when they pass on the ups and downs for others here to learn ;D

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
2012YellowBoss said:
It is always a good thing when people take on a new project and succeed, especially if they have never done it before. Even better is when they pass on the ups and downs for others here to learn ;D
I could not have said this any better my self YellowBoss. Many times in life great joy comes from the journey and not necessarily from arriving at one's destination.

MMD

Maui
Finally got my MGW shifter!!! Took a good 5 weeks. Gonna try to install it this memorial day weekend... I also ended up getting my brake vent ducts and MRT Front Splitter...Gonna be a busy weekend of installing.. Can't decide what to do first...
Well thought I'd post an initial picture of my new shift ball, next to the old one. MGW is now offering a boss 302 shift ball...
544789_10150916659523704_580538703_9658002_177944397_n.jpg

So what do these shifters cost? I looked on the site and can't find a 2013 BOSS Shifter, is it the same as the GT500 shifter? Also couldn't find the BOSS knob either.

I don't have my BOSS yet, but with all the people that are getting the MGW Shifters for them, I might have to get one just so I don't feel I am missing something... LOL

Justin

rpm3dinc said:
So what do these shifters cost? I looked on the site and can't find a 2013 BOSS Shifter, is it the same as the GT500 shifter? Also couldn't find the BOSS knob either.

I don't have my BOSS yet, but with all the people that are getting the MGW Shifters for them, I might have to get one just so I don't feel I am missing something... LOL
the shifter is the same as the 11-12 GT or V6 . The GT500 has a tremec I believe. MT-82 Is in the V6, GT, Boss. http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

I don't see where to get that knob either cause I want it

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel