The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Base radio removal/ install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A while back I got something on the display screen of the radio that pretty much destroyed it. I was hopeful that just the cover of the display could be replaced, but turns out the entire radio unit needs to be switched. I have the part ordered, and am trying to avoid a stupid labor cost to have it replaced. I assume the radio slides out rather easily and the switch should be painless. But ill be honest in saying that I have never taken a radio out of a car much less my mustang. Anyone else ever done it? Any tips or pointers would be helpful.

Search youtube and I'm sure you'll find a video on the removal. I've had the console out and there are some screws at the bottom of the front panel that you remove and it should come out pretty easily.

I removed mine -- the most difficult part was removing the antenna lead. It's a really firm push fit. There are a couple of photos half way down this post that might help:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9109.msg132436#msg132436

Black boss....thanks for the tip. The switch wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. but I have to ask....after plugging in the new display, I noticed on start up is now says "Mustang" and between the radio displace on the left and outside temperature display there is a heavy dashed line that splits the two. I don't recall either on the unit I removed, and see that your display says Mustang GT. Yours is a boss, correct?

Shaun12 said:
Black boss....thanks for the tip. The switch wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. but I have to ask....after plugging in the new display, I noticed on start up is now says "Mustang" and between the radio displace on the left and outside temperature display there is a heavy dashed line that splits the two. I don't recall either on the unit I removed, and see that your display says Mustang GT. Yours is a boss, correct?

Yea, I have a Boss -- My display changed to Mustang GT, when I removed the Audio unit....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel