The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Baseline Dyno'd the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I took my Boss to my friends shop yesterday to get some numbers in bone stock form. I bought a 2011 GT w/ 6M & 3.73's last year and had it dyno'd bone stock so I was curious how much more the Boss would put out. The weather was pretty good for the GT at 72F and 26% humidity and it put out 379.96rwhp & 364.59rwtq SAE. I think it may have been one of the stronger ones and that was with only 470 miles on the clock. Now for the Boss the temp was 80F and 17% humidity and it put down 404.5rwhp & 349.74rwtq SAE. I'm pretty happy with the numbers especially since the curve for the Boss had not taken a dip yet even at the rev limiter which seemed to come on at 7400rpm. Also the Boss had the GT's torque curve covered from 2100 to 3500rpm & from 5600rpm on. The GT's horsepower peaked at 6400rpm and was on the way down by redline. Oh yeah 1600 miles on the Boss with the oil changed at 770 miles and 93 octane in the tank.

Great, thanks for posting. Did you have the exhaust discs removed? Removing them is supposed to be good for 3-5 hp.

5 DOT 0 said:
Great, thanks for posting. Did you have the exhaust discs removed? Removing them is supposed to be good for 3-5 hp.
Yes I did have the exhaust discs removed, but I still consider that stock. I really doubt it helps the horsepower much if any. I've got a Corsa sport axle back that I took off the GT before I traded it in for the Boss. I'm going to put it on the Boss but I don't really expect it to increase the horsepower much either. It was supposed to be good for 4hp and 7tq but I really bought it for the sound since the GT was sooooo quiet stock.

ArizonaGT said:
Great numbers, got a graph to post?
Let me work on that. I've got the graph for the Boss by itself and one with the GT and Boss together for comparsion. I'll take them to work and scan them so I can post them up.

GotCurvz I am curious what the dealer gave you for your GT when you traded it in. My dealer offered me 20000 and I have a base gt with 3.73 gears and 4500 miles.

Well this is interesting. Look at the hp and tq numbers here! http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/779666-stock-dyno.html

427 peak hp and 338 peak tq. I've seen modded cars not showing this much hp. Didn't that one from stiguy2006 show baseline hp at 360 on a Mustang dyno? Definitely makes that look fishy now. Looks like the discs are worth 4-5 hp. Don't Mustang dynos typically read lower than Dynojet? This doesn't say if it's SAE corrected or not. It would seem to indicate the 444 crank hp is a bit understated.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
427whp on a Mustang Dyno is really impressive, assuming the dyno is calibrated correctly. Curves look AWESOME, though! Power is still climbing hard all the way to redline!

Sorry, but I just don't believe it. I don't even know if I would have believed it if it was dynoed on a Dynojet let alone a Mustang dyno. It's not like we have seen a lot of dyno results posted but nothing close to this has been posted. ???

Dean#4AI said:
Sorry, but I just don't believe it. I don't even know if I would have believed it if it was dynoed on a Dynojet let alone a Mustang dyno. It's not like we have seen a lot of dyno results posted but nothing close to this has been posted. ???
I should just take mine in, but I would prefer to wait for TracKey and pull them side by side. Hopefully it will be available soon.

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
I should just take mine in, but I would prefer to wait for TracKey and pull them side by side. Hopefully it will be available soon.
I agree, you should dyno yours :)

BossJockey said:
Good numbers. What brand Dyno was that?
It was a Dynojet. I scanned the graph at work, but it's black & white and a little hard to read. I'm going to take pictures of the graphs and upload them to imageshack or something so I can post them up in color.

Dean#4AI said:
Yeah I don't believe those numbers either from a Mustang Dyno. I do believe that these cars are probably making 470hp+ at the crank though and the GT's are probably
making 440hp+ at the crank. Ford is just underrating them.

TMO Supporting Vendors