The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Battery dead after 21,000 miles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had no idea the Boss used a lighter weight battery than the GT. Maybe that's why they have failed pre-maturely for some of us. I've always had good luck with Motorcraft batteries in my other Ford vehicles.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Batteries die of age and non use. AGM batteries fare a little better. Also get a battery tender, they keep current flowing through the plates and you will always have a fully charged battery. This also save alternators, when the battery is fully charged they don't have to work as hard.
Steve

voodoo child21 said:
Batteries die of age and non use. AGM batteries fare a little better. Also get a battery tender, they keep current flowing through the plates and you will always have a fully charged battery. This also save alternators, when the battery is fully charged they don't have to work as hard.
Steve

I have not purchased one yet but I have always intended on buying a CTEK charger/maintainer/de-sulfinator like the Multi 4.3.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Our OEM batteries have a hydrometer that should be checked with oil changes or regular maintenance. They are not sealed so electrolyte levels can be checked and topped off with distilled water. Fill to the bottom of the plastic tube.

I've topped off the electrolyte in the GT twice in nearly 6 years and the Boss once.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel