The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Battery Leaking= Overcharging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Found some wetness on battery blanket and then noticed the tray was wet also. Pulled batt and tray and found it wet and spilled out drain hole in bottom. Got everything cleaned with baking soda & washed and only lost some paint under the tray and some staining on the blue coil cover. The blanket was soaked so tossed it as well. Got replacement batt under warranty. At idle I'm seeing 14.2vdc. Seems a little high but not sure in its out of spec. I did run three 30 min track session last week but not sure if that's related. Suggestions? I may run it by dealer later in the week for a charging system check since its still under my after market warranty.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
14.2V seems a little high, if it never goes any lower. But I think track time is hard on the seals at the terminals and vents. Overcharging can make the problem worse if it is boiling the electrolyte.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, those are good charging specs, keeps the battery in the 12.6-12.8v when fully charged.

I found a small crack in my battery top case coming off of the neg terminal.

Track tyme, (TS), is hard on batteries due to the heat, so replace your battery insulator blanket.

Interesting opinions on batt blanket. Major distributor here in town for Motorcraft is of the opinion the blanket causes more issues buy keeping heat in.

Also anybody know where I can get a rt side blue coil cover? Mine is has some acid stains on it. Looks nasty

TMO Supporting Vendors