The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Battery relocation kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know Ford put the battery as close to the firewall as possible, but has anyone relocated the battery to the trunk? This mod is as old as the hills to improve weight distribution and put some weight over the right rear wheel for traction, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Gonna drop a 429 in your Boss? :eek: 'Cause if you're not, there really isn't a reason for doing it, other than having an oversized engine. But if you do decide to do this mod, post 'em pics here.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would think all you would need is a batt relocation kit from steeda or UPR etc. and since there is no spare tire you can remove the fix a flat kit and mount it there. I have seen a few articles in the mags on them doing it on the 11+ GT's. MMFF project car (AMSOIL GT) has the battery moved I think.

LikeABoss said:
Gonna drop a 429 in your Boss? :eek: 'Cause if you're not, there really isn't a reason for doing it, other than having an oversized engine. But if you do decide to do this mod, post 'em pics here.

?????

Moving the battery to the trunk is one of the easiest and best ways to improve the F/R weight distribution in *any* car, and has been done for decades. You would be hard pressed to find a front engined, rear drive race car that does not have the battery over the passenger rear wheel. Depending on the size of the battery and where it was originally, you can change the F/R weight distribution by 1-2% just by putting the battery over the passenger rear wheel, while improving rear traction at the same time.

The spare tire well is an intriguing idea, but the center is not optimal and it is likely the battery is too tall to fit there.

With today's technology and light weight batteries, I think the rear location option is slowly disappearing. Why gain the weight of 1O wire front to back and ground issues when you can simply drop in a Braille?

Jason

TMO Supporting Vendors