The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bay Area guys I'm going to be wrenching this Sunday the 11th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If anyone wants to come down to Morgan Hill (101 and Bailey) and do a little maint. or upgrades I'm going to be messing around with my car getting it ready for Vegas. This Sunday afternoon Mar 11. Either post up or send me a PM. There's room to work on maybe 6 cars or so. I'm just going to be putting some new pads on and removing the rear brake backing plates, but it'd be cool if someone wants to come down and change their oil, or trans, or diff fluid, or speakers. I've done all the above and can lend some help.

I guess all bets are off if it rains though. 30% chance as I write this... ::)

Will you be offering free wash and wax with each oil change? ;) Too far for me but sounds like fun.

5 DOT 0 said:
Will you be offering free wash and wax with each oil change? ;) Too far for me but sounds like fun.

Haha no but I will provide free non chlorinated lake water from the hose.

Fat Boss said:
What's an EQ? ???
Earthquake - yes...a unique experience for those who haven't had the pleasure. There was one in the Bay Area on Monday:
A shallow magnitude 4.0 earthquake was reported Monday morning a mile from El Cerrito, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 5:33 a.m. PST at a depth of 5 miles.

Fat Boss said:
If anyone wants to come down to Morgan Hill (101 and Bailey) and do a little maint. or upgrades I'm going to be messing around with my car getting it ready for Vegas. This Sunday afternoon Mar 11. Either post up or send me a PM. There's room to work on maybe 6 cars or so. I'm just going to be putting some new pads on and removing the rear brake backing plates, but it'd be cool if someone wants to come down and change their oil, or trans, or diff fluid, or speakers. I've done all the above and can lend some help.

I guess all bets are off if it rains though. 30% chance as I write this... ::)

New brake pads? How many miles do you have on the Boss? I would come just to hang out with fellow Boss members but Nor Cal is a bit far for this So Cal guy.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
New brake pads? How many miles do you have on the Boss? I would come just to hang out with fellow Boss members but Nor Cal is a bit far for this So Cal guy.

I have about 11,000 miles on it now. Plus one track day. I looked at them last night when I pulled the front wheels off for new tires and they look OK. I could probably get away with them but I really want to avoid any issues being 500 miles away from home next week at the track.

Ahh, earthquakes... The last real one in my area was a 5.0 and I didn't feel it. I was walking through the dark in my yard and could hear the sheds rattlin' but didn't notice the ground moving. ::)

Got the front pads replaced and the rear backing plates removed today. The rear pads were fine, and the fronts had used about 1/3 of their service life. Even remembered to mighty-vac some fluid from the reservoir prior to pushing the front pistons in. Nice to not overflow once in a while. I probably could have made it through the weekend and the two open track days but I didn't want to take that chance, so I popped the new OEM Brembo pads in the front.

The bedding procedure I use is 8 to 10 brakes from 60mph to 10mph starting easy and getting progressively harder. The last two or three were where the abs was engaging. I've had good success with this method. I especially like the part where you turn it off in 1st gear pulling into the driveway in order to avoid material transfer. ;)

Also spent a few seconds removing the umbilical cord. Thanks Kendall!

Unless you used the computer to open the ABS circuits while flushing the fluid, you should bleed the brakes again after forcing the ABS. On my track car, I do a flush when I change pads (unless I'm being lazy) and then bed them in, then kick on abs, then bleed again because the old fluid in the abs circuit will mix with the fresh one when it activates. Unless you didn't do the fluid. A quick bleed at least is cheap insurance before a track day.

CaliMR said:
then bleed again because the old fluid in the abs circuit will mix with the fresh one when it activates.

I don't know about other cars but the Ford setup does not work like this as far as I know. Fresh fluid will pass through the pump no matter if it is activated or not.

Andy, maybe Gary, John, Drew or anyone with more experience then me can say better but when bedding in the brakes I believe you want to get on them as hard as possible without setting off the ABS. Setting it off would be counter productive to the bedding process the way I have read it.

That is how I always understood it, which is why I would activate them later after they are bedded.

I thought in another thread people were talking about needing a high end code reader to be able to open the circuit for flushes, so I assumed it was like all my other cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors