The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bedding pads vs. seasoing rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't they essentially accomplish the same thing in the end? By that I mean, if I spend the time to bed my new pads, the rotors are being worked. So after the bedding is complete, do I need to come back in a few days and still "season" the rotors? I did see the thread about seasoning rotors, but didn't look super hard. forgive me.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Bedding and burnishing are the process of mechanically matching the pad to the rotor and creating/adding the transfer layer. Some rotor seasoning will occur during this process, but is better done over several days of lighter braking. IMO preferably before the bedding/burnishing is done. The seasoning of a rotor is thermal cycling of the rotor to relieve internals stresses from the casting process where the stresses are created during the initial cooling and creation of a new surface shape via the face machining.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
to add to grant's post, bedding also degasses the pads to prevent cracking...unless you use pre-bed pads, which have already been degassed.

TMO Supporting Vendors