The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Beef up the MT82 or find a Tremec

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've heard of a couple cars, but they had blowers and sticky back tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have the sticky tires in 305 on all 4 corners, but not going the blower route. I love the idea of all that power, but for my purposes I am good with an intake swap and my existing exhaust upgrades.

More on topic, I would not spend any money on the MT-82. That includes shifters, shifter mounts, clutches, driveshafts, etcetera. The transmission is not durable under hard use regardless of what bandaids you throw at it.

Save your money and go straight to a Magnum or 6060 when the MT-82 fails.

Nobody that I know of has launched one in a s550 on a road course. Clutches have let go, but not the trans itself.

I will say that I have a shifter bracket and it helped a great deal. I shifted an MGW and it felt maybe 15% better than mine with just a $50 bracket installed.

Go with it until you need to upgrade, then send it on it's way. It'll probably live longer than you think.

My '82 in the Shelby is absolutely perfect. Shifts smooth as butter whether cold or hot. My only beef with going to the Tremec at some point is the loss of a gear. Yeah, yeah it's got 6 gears, but who the hell needs or wants 2 overdrives??? It's hard to beat the close ratios with 5th being 1 to 1. Why isn't the aftermarket stepping up? I'd rather have a 5 speed with NO OD, than a 6 speed with 2.

Nobody that I know of has launched one in a s550 on a road course. Clutches have let go, but not the trans itself.

I will say that I have a shifter bracket and it helped a great deal. I shifted an MGW and it felt maybe 15% better than mine with just a $50 bracket installed.

Go with it until you need to upgrade, then send it on it's way. It'll probably live longer than you think.
What's the go with the shifter brackets? Are they aimed at increasing the reliability of the transmission under heavy use conditions or simply designed to aid in shifting gears easier? I anticipated a lot of dissatisfaction with the MT82 shifter while I was waiting for my car to arrive (based on countless negative forum reviews) but can honestly say I haven't had a single issue with it. I have spent the past few years operating cable driven shifters in rear and mid engines cars, so the MT82 feels like a breeze by comparison. With that in mind, is there any need to upgrade the shifter for longevity of the transmission?

What's the go with the shifter brackets? Are they aimed at increasing the reliability of the transmission under heavy use conditions or simply designed to aid in shifting gears easier? I anticipated a lot of dissatisfaction with the MT82 shifter while I was waiting for my car to arrive (based on countless negative forum reviews) but can honestly say I haven't had a single issue with it. I have spent the past few years operating cable driven shifters in rear and mid engines cars, so the MT82 feels like a breeze by comparison. With that in mind, is there any need to upgrade the shifter for longevity of the transmission?

It's 100% for the shifter action. It moves the shifter from body mounted to trans mounted which firms up the shifting nicely.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel