The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bent Axels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone bent their axels? I've never even heard of bent axels unless they were bent from a crash. I've seen twisted axels and broken / snappped axels. I ask because my dealer is teling me I have bent axels. It's hard for me to believe. Do our cars have 28 spline axels?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Are you leaking any fluid? I have a bad axle seal on the driver's side that is seeping some oil. I'll be taking the car into the dealership soon.

Oh yeah ... happens a lot from my understanding. More so in drag racing then road racing but I have even heard of it happening when you are on the street. Sucks to see that it happened to you, hopefully the dealer will be covering it.

I believe these are the ones for the Boss?
http://www.moserengineering.com/axles/ford-axles/ford-car-axles/2005-2013-mustang/8-8-ford-31-spline-fits-2005-and-newer-mustang-5-lug-w-abs-adapter.html

Cobra700 said:
I believe these are the ones for the Boss?
http://www.moserengineering.com/axles/ford-axles/ford-car-axles/2005-2013-mustang/8-8-ford-31-spline-fits-2005-and-newer-mustang-5-lug-w-abs-adapter.html

Thanks for the link. I just spoke to Moser. They confirmed that those are the correct axels. They said the Moser axels are 30% stronger than stock. Now I have to see if the dealer will install those if I buy them. I might just take it to a speed shop so I can have the housing jigged and welded while I'm at it.

MA
unless they have the axles on hand, Im not sure there is a way to determine country of origin other than what is printed on the label on the box.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I would go with stock axles for replacement, aftermarket axles and read disc brake setups are very sensitive to axle length to prevent end play and brake pad kick back. Some aftermarket axles are not within Ford specified lengths and that does cause pad knock back which will cause that low pedal fell when you hit the brakes.
Verify lengths if you are ordering aftermarkets. Also they should check the axle housing itself for straightness, they send a long machinists fixture rod through the differential and check the runout at the bearing bores at the ends of the axle tubes. If the housing is bent it will flex the axle and kill the bearings. A GOOD driveline shop will know what to check for, Ford dealer service will probably just change the axles and hop for the best, ask them to check the housing see what they say.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel