The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best Autox Tires with Treadwear of 200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The PZero's are shot and it's time to replace the rubber. I am an occasional autocrosser and track day guy with my 302 and I would like to get some sticky-ish rubber with Treadwear as close to 200(but not under) and mount them on the stock rims. The tires will be driven on the street 90% of their life.

I think the hot setup would be Hankook Ventus R-S3 or Dunlop Direzza II's, but they don't come in OEM size(10 mm narrower)

What alternate sizes on stock rims are you guys running?

PS-I don't want dedicated race rubber, I already have a race car for that purpose.

Thanks.

Jeff L
St. Joe, MI

FWIW the Direzza Z2 in a 245/275 width is the same tread width as the OE pirelli's in 255/285.
So with that in mind, you aren't losing any meaningful width. I went with Z2s for my P zero replacements. I look forward to using them very much :) I had the Z1 previously and there was no single characteristic that I found detracting from that tire. It suited the way I drove and they worked well for me. One thing I should mention though is that the Direzzas like less slip angle than other comparable tires (say, RS3). So your mileage may vary. One needs to be more precise with inputs on the Direzza.

If you are sticking with 19s, I'd say that is about your only option (other than upsizing to 265/295 in Advan AD08R or RE11).
My issue with RE11 is that you cannot flip them...and as for Advan, well they are just simply much more expensive for arguably not a huge difference in performance.

I will likely go with what boro92 said.
I have Direzza Z II on my honda fit, they are grip city! Having said that, the Boss is around 1100 Ib heavier than the Fit, so they might not be as grippy in comparison. Whatever I go with I will write a review.

Welcome to BMO. You want the best? If you live where there's a lot of rain then Michelin PSS, no rain then Yokohama AD08 R. Both come in 265/35/19 and 295/30/19.

NFSBOSS said:
Welcome to BMO. You want the best? If you live where there's a lot of rain then Michelin PSS, no rain then Yokohama AD08 R. Both come in 265/35/19 and 295/30/19.

Good call on the PSS. If it's primarily street use, I cannot think of a better tire.
The wicked rain performance of that tire makes it a very viable and practical all-round tire. They also work pretty well on the track to boot. If one is on more of a budget, I would absolutely not rule out BFG Comp 2's. Long wearing, good in the wet and also good for the occasional track day. Ultimately, neither the PSS nor the Comp 2 is a competitive street tire on the track. But they will hold their own, and the trade off in ultimate dry grip for the longevity + wet grip is hard to argue with for a car that sees 90% street use.

But if you want "the best" in street tire classes, you will need to look to the usual suspects...and the only ones that'll come close to the stock diameter/width is RE11, PSS, Z2, AD08R

boro92 said:
But if you want "the best" in street tire classes, you will need to look to the usual suspects...and the only ones that'll come close to the stock diameter/width is RE11, PSS, Z2, AD08R
I wouldn't get too hung up on stock sizes. Our cars need more rubber so wider is better in just about every instance. The shorter height isn't a big deal either unless you're driving on really rough roads or off road. Many of us are running the sizes I posted with no issues. In fact the PSS in that size are quieter, ride better and...oh...have more grip than the stock Pirelli's. ;D While the stock tires are not bad there are plenty of better options out there as you have listed. In theory the 295 wide rears do need a 10" wide wheel and that's what I have mine on.

NFSBOSS said:
I wouldn't get too hung up on stock sizes. Our cars need more rubber so wider is better in just about every instance. The shorter height isn't a big deal either unless you're driving on really rough roads or off road. Many of us are running the sizes I posted with no issues. In fact the PSS in that size are quieter, ride better and...oh...have more grip than the stock Pirelli's. ;D While the stock tires are not bad there are plenty of better options out there as you have listed. In theory the 295 wide rears do need a 10" wide wheel and that's what I have mine on.

Agreed on every count. However, if the tire is going to see 90% street time, going a smaller diameter is going to affect odo readings in a negative manner (even if it's 3 to 5%). So that is a factor (at least for me it would be!). As for me personally, I hear you on the tire size and gearing advantages of dropping a diameter. Unfortunately for one of the tracks I frequent most often, the gearing would be worse off if I drop diameter (more instances of banging rev limiter or short shifting) :( Thus that was never an option for me.

But yes, PSS for sure. That was on the top of my list until I discovered that tread width on the 275 Z2's did not differ from OE tire sizing :D One cannot go wrong with replacing the P zeros. The only way is up for the most part!

Good input guys. I talked with Luke at the Tire Rack and he suggested waiting until the BFG Rival comes out in 285-35-19 and 255-40-19. They're taking orders for them now, but not sure when they'll be available.

Think I might nurse my PZero's into May.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Luckymotorsports said:
Good input guys. I talked with Luke at the Tire Rack and he suggested waiting until the BFG Rival comes out in 285-35-19 and 255-40-19. They're taking orders for them now, but not sure when they'll be available.

Think I might nurse my PZero's into May.

Thanks again.

Jeff
You just made my day, I will wait then, but they better show up before June, my stock rubber can barely take 2 more track days...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel