The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best mods for my Boss ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am the proud new owner of a Kona blue Boss and have started with some minor mods. So far sound tube delete and gt500 mufflers. I want to get nxt hood struts , barton shifter bracket bushing , one piece driveshaft , jlt oil separator and maybe a jlt intake. This car is mostly for cruising and carshows. . Once out of warranty I plan on supercharging .

What do you guys think?

Skip the Barton shifter bracket and start with the Blowfish Racing shifter support bracket. I suspect this will improve the fell and shifting enough that you won't need any of the band aid fixes. To improve the feel and handling of your car install rear LCA's with poly bushings. The Ford Racing version work well. Next lower your car with Ford Racing T springs which will require relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. That should do it.

NFSBOSS said:
Skip the Barton shifter bracket and start with the Blowfish Racing shifter support bracket. I suspect this will improve the fell and shifting enough that you won't need any of the band aid fixes. To improve the feel and handling of your car install rear LCA's with poly bushings. The Ford Racing version work well. Next lower your car with Ford Racing T springs which will require relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. That should do it.

I was also planning on the uca to reduce hop and the blow fish racing bracket is sweet too. I will leave the springs alone as I've changed them in the past on my other cars. I don't want to change ride quality.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Boss mac said:
I am the proud new owner of a Kona blue Boss and have started with some minor mods. So far sound tube delete and gt500 mufflers. I want to get nxt hood struts , barton shifter bracket bushing , one piece driveshaft , jlt oil separator and maybe a jlt intake. This car is mostly for cruising and carshows. . Once out of warranty I plan on supercharging .

What do you guys think?

Boss Mac:
Congratulations on your new Kona Blue Boss 302 Mustang. The one piece driveshaft is a good upgrade on our cars. Improves weight transfer and there is a noticeable difference on WOT standing starts. Oil catch cans are important in reducing oil vapor consumption of our engines. JLT makes a good system that is an easy plug and play. I use the Peterson 302S/CJ system.

Insofar as the JLT intake, (CAI), I think this might require a Tune. Did you look at the AirAid PJ CF unit? No tune required and tested by 5.0 Magazine - June 2012 edition.

Next I would recommend that you remove the side exhaust restrictor plates and have your Ford Dealer install TrackKey,

All the Best with your new (to you), Boss 302,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Next I would recommend that you remove the side exhaust restrictor plates and have your Ford Dealer install TrackKey,

^So far, this made the biggest difference for me on the street. Track key changes the car's behavior enough to be noticeable, and makes the car sound more aggressive with the restrictor plates removed.

If going to shows, then lowering and replacing stock wheels will improve the stance of the car.

Boss mac said:
I was also planning on the uca to reduce hop and the blow fish racing bracket is sweet too. I will leave the springs alone as I've changed them in the past on my other cars. I don't want to change ride quality.

The FRPP M-5300-T BOSS lowering springs won't affect ride quality. One reason why they're a popular choice for lowering a mostly-street driven BOSS.

Any idea How would the FRPP Boss springs compare to the Steeda boss springs.? My car came with the Steeda springs. The ride seems OK biut I have not point of reference.

dabossinne said:
The FRPP M-5300-T BOSS lowering springs won't affect ride quality. One reason why they're a popular choice for lowering a mostly-street driven BOSS.

FRPP Boss springs keep the same ride as the stock springs, just lower. Steeda has much less nose dive on breaking with negligible change in front height. Also the more track worthy of the two. I have no experience with either, just what I've gathered from asking lots of questions concerning each. Still haven't made up my mind on what to get... ::)

Boss mac, congratulations! A great purchase you made.
My answer is the most boring one which is KEEP HER STOCK.
Why?
A) you are not tracking it, so no need to do shifter upgrade, brakes, fluids, tires...etc B) if you care about power, the stock car has plenty of it. C) if you are a handling type of guy, this car can pass porsches and more "nimble" cars on corners, of course, after developing balls of steel to control the car. D) when you modify an icon like a Boss 302 or Shelby GT500, she starts losing her OEM appeal and hence resale value. Almost always people and auctions who buy those legends they want them stock. And at the end of the day, your car is mostly for cruising and carshows.

Again, congratulations!

13Boss#3328 said:
Boss mac, congratulations! A great purchase you made.
My answer is the most boring one which is KEEP HER STOCK.
Why?
A) you are not tracking it, so no need to do shifter upgrade, brakes, fluids, tires...etc B) if you care about power, the stock car has plenty of it. C) if you are a handling type of guy, this car can pass porsches and more "nimble" cars on corners, of course, after developing balls of steel to control the car. D) when you modify an icon like a Boss 302 or Shelby GT500, she starts losing her OEM appeal and hence resale value. Almost always people and auctions who buy those legends they want them stock. And at the end of the day, your car is mostly for cruising and carshows.

Again, congratulations!

There is a lot of truth there on all counts, but that is why I'm keeping all the stock items, and will only sell the aftermarket stuff. As an added bonus, my stock shocks and other stock items won't wear as I'm beating the crap out of my aftermarket stuff. The stock stuff will go back on for resale, if I could ever bear to part with Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors