The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best place to buy slicks? New or used the best option?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Where is the best place to buy slicks? What is more cost effective...used heat cycled slicks or a brand new set like hoosier is selling now for $200 a tire?

I am starting to go through tires pretty quick and I need to find the most economical way to purchase tires. I've been on slicks now for a while and I don't want to go back to street tires. I am willing to go to an R Comp tire but nothing less than 100 tread wear. I like to go fast and keep up with the Porsches and Vettes in my not so expensive Boss :)

Is the extra money in buying a new slick worth it in longevity? An example is I am currently looking at getting 4 take off tires for $520...same tire as I can get brand new from Hoosier for $815. Will the extra money I might be spending in more frequent tire changes nullify the savings in a used tire? I have never run new slicks so I don't know how much longer they will last in comparison. How long can I expect them to last? I'm not running square so I can only rotate side to side.

Lots of questions and a little scatter brained but let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks again

Adam

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
http://gttrackdays.com/sell/

Do that and get your setup down then move up to fresh stuff when you are ready. Can get 5 sets of P-Zero slicks to your door for around $3100. I would typically get 8-9 very consistent, usable sessions out of these before they cord.

Does the $520 cover shipping? I bet it does not, or they are not 75% to full rubber tires.

Hoosiers are $200 per tire with a $15 shipping charge regardless of quantity. The best deal is if you order more than one set.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The problem with gttrackdays is they charge $30 shipping per tire. When they charge $115 per tire with $30 in shipping that's only $55 per tire less than a brand new slick from Hoosier.

Tulsa, OK
jbracingtires.net. Their website SUCKS but give John a call at the listed number on the site and he will get you hooked up. I buy my Pirelli 305/645/18 slicks from him and they get to my door for $500ish a set. Tons of tread life.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
roadhouse said:
jbracingtires.net. Their website SUCKS but give John a call at the listed number on the site and he will get you hooked up. I buy my Pirelli 305/645/18 slicks from him and they get to my door for $500ish a set. Tons of tread life.

Are you on SVE Drifts…I can't tell from your picture but looks like it. How do you like them and how do they fit front and rear. I just ordered a set. $145 a wheel, can't beat that.

Tulsa, OK
Flyboygsxr said:
Are you on SVE Drifts…I can't tell from your picture but looks like it. How do you like them and how do they fit front and rear. I just ordered a set. $145 a wheel, can't beat that.

Yes, I'm running Drifts and they fit great. These 305s really measure more like a 285 so they fit a 10" wheel nicely. Yup can't beat the price

I use the 18x10 SVE drift wheel too on all 4 wheels... no complaints about the wheels after 10 track days.

roadhouse said:

How much grip will these have vs. a new set of NT01 tires? I ask because I assume you can get a lot more runs out of those NT01 vs. a pure slick.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I'm on NT01's right now and the grip and characteristics of the tire are completely different. The NT01's aren't bad and might last a little longer but the grip and consistency is no where near a slick.

If you are on NASA forums, there is a guy who regularly sells 275/35/R18 Continental take-offs for cheap. I got a set for $322 shipped. Haven't driven on them yet but he claims they only have 2-3 heat cycles. http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=129821

Z1 Motorsport has them even cheaper at $288 shipped but they have "several" heat cycles: http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_83127&products_id=8320

TMO Supporting Vendors