The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best rear spoiler for downforce w/o going to a full wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to add a little bit of rear downforce from my factory GT spoiler w/o going all the way to the g-stream or AJ Hartman Racing huge full wing.

I came across this on the Roush Performance Continental Tire 2013 race car and it looks to have just the right amount of down force and drag without looking too crazy.

spoiler.jpg

anyone know where to purchase this wing? Is it more functional than the LS rear wing?

edit: I found it, its this wing however this is the newer version and the one on the Roush Performance Mustang above was the old 2009 version.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-ford-mustang-rear-wing-476-steeda-wing/

Sucks you can't purchase one in pre-painted Ingot Silver

Yes it's the Steeda 05-09 wing. I like it and yes, I installed it on my car. You need to make shims/adapters to install the wing on a 2010 and up. They can be purchased but they are really expensive last I knew. I made my own out of plastic. You also have to fill the existing spoiler holes too.

1001361p.jpg

1001362wn.jpg

1001363f.jpg

I've been debating the same even though I want the G-stream lol.
I narrowed it down to the Steeda wing and the Paul Brown wing.
Steeda:
45D9BD96-9A9B-4E61-8B44-DEC7C15A5D33.jpg

Paul Brown:
378EB4D6-76C1-4C91-BF00-604E9AA60A79.jpg

Theres the Boss Plus spoiler, works with existing mounting holes.
http://store.chicane23.com/body/boss-plus-rear-spoiler.html

Its basically like the GT/Cs wing on steroids.

Just some extra info on the Steeda/FR500C/302R wing:

As of October, Steeda had quit making them and supply was running short. CTSCC teams were having a hard time getting them, and were lobbying IMSA for a rule change to a wing that was more readily available. Last I knew, the GT500 wing was what was being proposed.

In addition to that, as already alluded to, Multimatic makes the required spacers for that wing but last I heard they run $100-ish.

I ended up going with a GT500 wing on mine. The decklid I had was already drilled for a GT500 wing, and if the wing was good enough for CTSCC teams, it's good enough for me. Honestly, it provided alot more confidence at Daytona compared to the skinny stock spoiler.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
RTR Aluminum spoiler? I have not felt any rear aero instability with it on track up to 153 mph. Has about 31 degree angle from level. Don't know what a GT 500 angle is. An airfoil wing will probably give a little downforce vs a spoiler but really needs to be higher off the deck like the G Stream to get enough clean air to produce. Spoiler breaks the turbulent flow off of the roof and rear deck as it separates from the body slowing the flow so the pressure on the upper surface (roof,decklid) is greater than the lower surface (underbody). This is relative because our car shape is very wing like and wants to lift at higher speed, I think I read 90 lbs at the rear at 100 mph, spoilers and small wings only reduce or at best neutralize this lift, a full size wing elevated into it's own airflow produces from 400-600 lbs of negative lift (down force). Tiger hood and splitter helps up front by smoothing and accelerating the underbody flow and relieving the underhood "packing" of air which will lift the
front.

Mustang4_6_14002_zpse868846b.jpg

Berol said:
Just some extra info on the Steeda/FR500C/302R wing:

As of October, Steeda had quit making them and supply was running short. CTSCC teams were having a hard time getting them, and were lobbying IMSA for a rule change to a wing that was more readily available. Last I knew, the GT500 wing was what was being proposed.

In addition to that, as already alluded to, Multimatic makes the required spacers for that wing but last I heard they run $100-ish.

I ended up going with a GT500 wing on mine. The decklid I had was already drilled for a GT500 wing, and if the wing was good enough for CTSCC teams, it's good enough for me. Honestly, it provided alot more confidence at Daytona compared to the skinny stock spoiler.

So the GT500 spoiler is actually functional? I have one on my car but figured with the roof line where it was there was just not really any way this spoiler is anything other than cosmetic. I would love to be wrong though and will look into this a bit more.

Voltwings said:
So the GT500 spoiler is actually functional? I have one on my car but figured with the roof line where it was there was just not really any way this spoiler is anything other than cosmetic. I would love to be wrong though and will look into this a bit more.

I don't have any hard numbers for downforce or lift.

I do know that running the stock spoiler at Daytona, the rear of the car felt like it wanted to dance all around coming off the banking at speed. After adding the GT500 wing, that sensation completely went away.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For an otherwise stock car, I would guess/predict the downforce/drag balance would be best on the newer '10-14 Steeda wing.

The thing that sets this wing apart from the others it that it makes use of the most flow available to this area. There are big vortices that roll off the C pillar, and that's about the cleanest attached flowing air you can get without a raised wing, as Steve notes. So the new Steeda wing uses a steeper angle of attack to make use of flow in this area.

I use a LS knockoff spoiler and vortex generators (I know, ricey)...but I've done way too much testing on it to ditch them. Without the VGs, most low wings do very little in the center.

Grant 302 said:
For an otherwise stock car, I would guess/predict the downforce/drag balance would be best on the newer '10-14 Steeda wing.

The thing that sets this wing apart from the others it that it makes use of the most flow available to this area. There are big vortices that roll off the C pillar, and that's about the cleanest attached flowing air you can get without a raised wing, as Steve notes. So the new Steeda wing uses a steeper angle of attack to make use of flow in this area.

I use a LS knockoff spoiler and vortex generators (I know, ricey)...but I've done way too much testing on it to ditch them. Without the VGs, most low wings do very little in the center.

Grant. Don't feel bad about the vortex generators. I use the agent 47 ones on my roof. :p

Grant 302

DGRacing said:
Grant. Don't feel bad about the vortex generators. I use the agent 47 ones on my roof. :p

Well, I'm only a *little* embarrassed to be seen with them on. :-[ With a water droplet test (not gonna use oil drops on my cars) the difference is obvious. Without the VGs, there would be zero attached flow in the center of the rear window and the rear deck and the stock low spoiler. And that was up to 70 mph. Crazy.

4 VGs:
12263207896_4aa0c8fcf7.jpg

6 VGs:
13040160025_0935acbddd.jpg

With the stock Boss 'rake' flow would stay attached to about the middle down the rear window. I'm pretty sure Ford did it that way on purpose.

And in my application the benefit is lower speed attachment on the rear wing extending the wings speed range. There's actually a wind tunnel outfit not far from me with "weekend warrior" rates I'm gonna use. It's like $900 for two hours and will probably get one or two others to split the time. My aim would be to get data on various configurations.

Grant 302

That's cool. Wish I has something like that local to me. Might do it the poor man's way and fully tuft the car on my next track day and let the track photographer do the job for me!

Off topic a little, but this shot also reminded me that I cut the fake vents on the rear of the GT valence too:
15546716344_85409f1962.jpg

Here's the place
http://a2wt.com/RaceCars.html

What I'll do is try to find two optimum configs. One for qualifying, one for race. Maybe a rain one too. Rear wing is adjustable and front splitter winglets. I might also test taping off the brake ducts or fog light deletes. Qualifying just needs one hero lap within the first 5.

I have hijacked this thread and I am sorry. :)

I think you'll be happiest with the Steeda wing, although mustangzilla uses a PWD style wing but it's pretty obtrusive.

FZmotrtl.jpg

I would copy this as much as possible, rumor is..well there's a lot of rumors but if it was mine it would look like this one...wink wink

uOMdpuBl.jpg

mYm8S0il.jpg

What I'll do is try to find two optimum configs. One for qualifying, one for race. Maybe a rain one too. Rear wing is adjustable and front splitter winglets. I might also test taping off the brake ducts or fog light deletes. Qualifying just needs one hero lap within the first 5.

better do it faster than that or your wasting tire

I have the 11-14 Steeda wing. It probably has more downforce than the 10 wing, and was designed to fit the trunk lid without additional parts. It is also less wide than the 10 model, to avoid antenna intrusion. Plus, it looks unique.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel