The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best Tactics for getting under MSRP ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to see what some of your guys ideas or tactics were who got under MSRP on the car? I live in Phoenix and have been looking around for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet and want the dealer to give me a about a 1000 more for my trade then they offered the first time. They low balled me and they know it.

Thanks

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Getting under MSRP will be really tough, like you said in your post...just try to sqeeze more out of the trade.

It wasn't too hard to get under MSRP for me, until I told them I had a trade and most really lowballed me on it. After about 30 different dealers, I found one off of another forum that gave me a great trade-in price and the deal I wanted on a Boss. He was located about 850 miles away and even met me half way to swap vehicles. To top it all off, he threw in the TracKey for free. Moral of the story, your deal is out there, just keep looking. But remember to be patient.

Some thoughts..........

I know this may not go over to well…….but being a loyal long term customer is not a “tactic” but is a good start. Most dealers keep records, if you have a dealer that you’ve bought Fords from go to that dealer first.

If that dealer doesn’t have an allocation or a car, then make an appointment with someone at the dealership, not a “floor whore”; go with someone from internet sales, one of the GM etc.

Now when you talk to the guys at the dealership let them know you drive a Ford and you normally by from “XXX Dealer” and because they wouldn’t deal or they don’t have a car you would consider moving a future purchases to his dealer and working with him on all future sales……..

If you don’t currently drive Fords, let him know and say this is the first Ford you’ve considered, you’re sick of this and that with Brand X and want to form a relationship with this dealer and Ford by jumping from Brand X.

Go in with a friendly attitude, not him vs me, know that the MSRP is, know what the invoice price is, know if they have dealer fees, some dealers even if they sell at invoice will still charge those fees.

After I retired I worked at a local dealership that I had bought cars from in the past so that this one as gospel; if you have an attitude, don’t except a happy salesman……. You’ll reap what you sow, even if you don’t get what you want today leave your name, number and say call me.

Also go midmonth, call him/her a week later and ask have you given my offer any thought? Offer a couple hundred more to sweeten the deal if no then thanks for your time…………….call me back next week if you reconsider.

End of the moth is when they need to make quota so that one car may help………

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
As others stated there are deals out there, you just have to be patient and do your homework. Took me several weeks but was able to purchase mine for about $2,175 under the MSRP of $43,575. Knowing the dealer cost for the car $39,270 as well as the holdbacks were key. Sites like www.truecar.com are so useful, and IMO changes the game for consumers. These cars have huge profit margins!

Now keep in mind some dealers will not budge, depends on their volume and allocation of "specialty cars" as well as other factors. Dont know if you want a 2012 or 2013. You will definately get a better deal on a 2012. You also can always try to sell your "Trade" privately, not sure of your situation.

Hope this info helps. Keep in mind, everyday the car is on the lot it is costing the dealer $$$$ So if you can find the one you want and are really ready to buy and take immediately delivery, you have some leverage IMO. Dont even talk about the trade-in if you dont have to until you negotiate a price. Always deal with a GM and not an on the floor salesperson, even if you call them. Good Luck!

You really have to keep in touch with them over and over letting them know you are just waiting for them to make the deal. I went in a few times and walked out both times then called a time or two then started the email thing thet is what got them in the end. Go to several dealers close by and ask if they can get that particular car from the other dealer they will call them letting them know you are looking at other dealers.

Yeah I have been in sales and deal with people all day long so I would never try and play the bad guy. All I want is the deal to be fair and I have told them that. I know they are in the business to make money and I am a business man myself and I told them that. They are asking me now to order one since I want a Grabber Blue and all they have is a Laguna Seca.

Do a search and find the one you want then tell them to get it from that dealer they can trade the one they have for it. Did that when I bought my camaro ss

I can get you a car for $1k over invoice, hassle and haggle free. I am in Florida so you would either need to ship it or pick it up. I am not a Dealer but very close Friends with the owner of the Dealer I buy my cars from and this is the deal I worked out for anyone I refer on a Boss. They currently have a Yellow one in stock and a GHIG with all option on order that was supposed to be mine. The order can still be changed as it is a 4th quarter build. If interested just let me know and I can get you taken care of. This is only for a regular Boss, not an LS. I did get a great deal on the LS I just bought but it was there only one and he was not happy about selling it to me for what I paid, but he had to do it.

DadzBoss said:
I can get you a car for $1k over invoice, hassle and haggle free. I am in Florida so you would either need to ship it or pick it up. I am not a Dealer but very close Friends with the owner of the Dealer I buy my cars from and this is the deal I worked out for anyone I refer on a Boss. They currently have a Yellow one in stock and a GHIG with all option on order that was supposed to be mine. The order can still be changed as it is a 4th quarter build. If interested just let me know and I can get you taken care of. This is only for a regular Boss, not an LS. I did get a great deal on the LS I just bought but it was there only one and he was not happy about selling it to me for what I paid, but he had to do it.
That's a damn good price. Someone should jump on this. I now know why you have 4 Boss's.

I used Auto trader and set a search with key word Boss, Then once a week I would do a search to see if any slipped through the cracks.
I found one that said Premium GT ($43575) I knew that GTs weren't that premium. So I found the dealer website called them and it was indeed a Boss. I asked them their bottom dollar and to my shock they said about 3g under. I was there the next morning signing papers.

That's a damn good price. Someone should jump on this. I now know why you have 4 Boss's.
[/quote]

I did a little bit better on my own cars, but just a little. I think this is a fair price to pay for a limited production car. Ever since Ford officially announced that 13 will be it, they have been harder to get and even them doing a Dealer trade they have had to pay mark ups, so if this is the case, that additional mark up would be passed on to you, as was the case when they brought in my white one from another Dealer that charged them $500 over invoice. But as I said, they have a yellow one now (which they brought in from another Dealer but paid no additional mark up) and if you don't mind waiting for a 4th quarter build you can have the exact car you want ordered the way you want it. I have the offer out there to a bunch of people and no one has taken me up on it yet, so it is first come, first served. In addition, they have my GHIG which I traded in with 800 miles on it, it is lowered has a Barton Shifter and Baer drilled and slotted rotors. You can get this one for about what Invoice would be on a new one, but it already has $1k or so in upgrades including Track Key.

TMO Supporting Vendors