The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best tire alignment for oem boss suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys,

I need your help in setting up the best tire alignment for circuit course track.

I have a 2013 mustang boss 302 with oem wheels and suspension, unfrtunately here where i live the best tires i found is michelin pilot super sport front 255/40R19 and michelin ps22 285/35R19 rear.

Thanks,

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, I would get camber plates or at least camber bolts. With the stock suspension/wheels I put 275/35-19 tires front and back...
Front shocks on 5 and rears on 3. Camber is a must, wrecked a set of fronts in one track school with stock camber.....expensive!

You can go too -2 camber with out too much inner wear on the street.

I have 15.000km on my supersports with never less then -2.5 camber. Oh,,, toe at zero and all the caster you can get (approx 7 degrees)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Don't let a shop tell you they can adjust without camber plates or bolts. It can be done....sort of. They drill your shock towers in the hope of moving the top of the strut correctly.
Bolts may get you close. Plates are needed to get a good bit of camber.
Mad Hatters specs are what I run.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I run mine with -1.8 and 0 toe with no problems regarding wear. Will go to -2.0 next.

By the way, is there any problem with mounting the OEM fine pitch strut mount bolts with the bolt on the back side instead of the nut? I want to reverse the orientation of mine since I can't check if its torqued properly without disconnecting the brake ducts.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Don't let a shop tell you they can adjust without camber plates or bolts. It can be done....sort of. They drill your shock towers in the hope of moving the top of the strut correctly.
Bolts may get you close. Plates are needed to get a good bit of camber.
Mad Hatters specs are what I run.

Down here, the thing they do all the time is Hog the bolt holes and "TA DA" instant camber.... till you hit a curb etc....... Sorry sight to see a new strut hogged becuase they didn't want to get a camber plate or at least camber bolts

Last edited:

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I have a set of MM Camber plates and they have been great so far. They supposedly can go down to -2.7 with an aftermarket thinner strut or coils.

I tried running -1.8, -2.0 and now I'm at -2.3 (maxed with stock struts) and I'm finally getting even wear between street and track. I was also running Pilot Super Sports on the front. They are a great tire but have soft sidewalls, You'll be driving on the shoulder all the way around every turn so you need a decent amount of camber. If you are doing more than 2-4 track days a year and pushing the car, you'll chew the shoulders quickly.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Have the MM camber plates as well, I maxed out at -2.5 camber with coilovers... In the end, used camber bolts to get me too -3.5 and now bought a second set trying for -4 or -4.5.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Going to my alignment guy soon or when weather permits. With MM CC plates and Koni Yellows, he thinks he can take me from -2.0 to -3.0 but no more with my current set-up. I'll be happy for now if he can get me to -3.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Down here, the thing they do all the time is Hog the bolt holes and "TA DA" instant camber.... till you hit a curb etc....... Sorry sight to see a new strut hogged becuase they didn't want to get a camber plate or at least camber bolts
What you're telling me is that those folks are smart enough to know they need more negative camber and one way of getting it, without being sharp enough to include any means of positively locating the bolts in the big holes so that the cambers stay put.

A flat washer, a really tiny bit of welding, and a little filing . . .

Norm

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup,,, thats it.. Have seen about 3 brand new S550 come in to the shop I use to fix big ugly oveled out holes instead of a nice decent "Permenent fix" First big bump and the alignment is off.

Since my Cortex set up has the extended offset I did not want to bugger up a nice Coilover.... so thats why the double camber bolts and camber plate. Hope to sell them soon and upgrade!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel