The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best Track day ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The title is dripping with sarcasm.

Come to find out the tracks around here require you ride with an instructor before turning you loose on a track. Makes perfect sense but I thought I could use a radio and how an instructor in the tower etc keep an eye on me. (My track car now is a one seater.)

Wrong, I ended up taking my Kia Soul to the track for my evaluation. It actually turned out not be as bad as I thought once I got the tire temps correct and realized you could turn off traction control. If anybody has been to CMP at Kershaw, we finally started going through the Kink at 85mph+ in the Kia. Not sure it the hairs would stand up anymore than there were doing that.

Luckily I got cleared to run my next time in DE solo. I don't think the tires on the Kia could stand another 30 minute session.

Also, only 2 other cars out on the track most of the day. A high $ porsche and an M3. They lapped me once every 30 minutes when we were turning the Hamsters loose!!!!!

The porsche was a DE like me. The M3 looked like he was scooting. I asked him what lap times he was running and he said in 1:50's in the morning when the track cool. A little slower at the end of the day. He looked like he was running on treaded tires. My instructor I think he said he runs low 1:40's in his Z06 on Hoosier's.

I think the karts there were running in the 1:30's. I didn't take my camera but wish I would have afterwards.

Of course, who know's they may not have been pushing it all day.

Anyway, I was actually surprised with the Kia. I wouldn't want to waste another day in it but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

If anybody lives near Kershaw, I went on a Fri. There was an open wheel class and our class. The open wheel class had 3 cars and our class started out with 4 but one guy left early. The second guy left about lunch so there was just 2 of us.

Ran 30 minutes sessions and waited 30 minutes. On a 2.23 mile track I think I ran somewhere around 100 to 120 miles and I didn't stay for my last two sessions.

Fun track and I don't think you could have asked for much more track time. I hope it's that way the next time I go in my actual car.

GA
frosty said:
Fun track and I don't think you could have asked for much more track time. I hope it's that way the next time I go in my actual car.

CMP is a great track. I have more track time on that one than any other. The Carolina Regional Mustang Club holds a weekend every year the 1st weekend in June for under $300. NASA-SE weekends are under $300 too.

TMO Supporting Vendors