The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Better buy, Mach 1 or GT500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have seen the Car and Driver article and it is interesting, but we all know tracks change depending on the day, weather, humidity, heat, etc. I have watched GT 350s disappear down every straight I run on the two tracks my Mach has been on. I also know the speeds I achieved when I had a GT 350 and again, I was slower down the straights in the Mach. Now when it comes to stopping and cornering I find the two cars very similar, so Ford did take a lot of the wonderful GT350 DNA and transfer it over to the Mach 1. You must be very disciplined with the Mach 1 and keep the momentum up always, where a little lapse with the GT 350 is not overly detrimental. At both Heartland Motorsports Park and Motorsports Park Hastings the gearing on the Mach 1 ( limited by the 7500 redline ) means you will shift 2-4 more times per lap and we all know reducing shifts usually will help lower your track times - score benefit for the GT 350.

Both cars surprise their competitors and at the last event, though I was beaten by most of the Camaro ZL1 1LEs, I was able to fill their mirrors enough that I made a few nervous and they left the door open for me to pass. They had all bumped up to TTU , were running Pirelli slicks, so I hope in the future they drop down to TT1 with normal DOT rubber to see if I can hang even better --- cornering and stopping is the forte of the Mach 1 and GT 350!

Last edited:
Darn it, Bill - you are making me really want to spend money and get a Mach 1! I keep having dreams about ordering one in Eruption Green with Recaros, Handling package, Tremec and no other options. I would have to free up some space by selling something else (not my 350R!) but I'm not prepared to do that just yet. Sort of waiting to hear what the S650 specialty edition will be - if it's another Boss, then I am hooked.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One never knows what is coming from the Marketing Minds at the Blue Oval, could the S650 Specialty Edition be another run of the famed Mustang Ghia, vinyl landau top and all !!!

TMO Supporting Vendors