The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

better than a tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This mourning I went to start the boss and it was covered in frost. I let it warm up as I do not believe in using a scraper. The temperature was +2 C or for our American friends about 35 F. This cool air sure makes a difference in the way the BOSS responds. 2nd gear is hilarious as it will go up in smoke just by depressing the pedal at anything above 2000 rpm. I know the tires are not up to snuff in the cooler air so they break loose very easily. Try hitting it in fourth at 5500 and on an uphill sweeper that says 90 kph and see what happens. I guarantee there will be a huge grin on your face as the rest of traffic freaks out. Who needs a super charger when you got cool air like we had today. Our drag strip is closing this weekend for the season but for the first time Street legals will be run Saturday Oct. 07 so should be interesting plus our new 1.7 mile road course is opening in the spring. If I survive the winter I will have to somehow convince the wife that we really do need new rubber and pads so come spring will be one the first to set a track record. Not that it would last very long.

Be careful up there. I notice decreased traction with the stock Pirelli's starting in the mid 50's.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I think Ford recommends not running the P-Zero's when the temps drop below 40F. Don't drive it under freezing on these tires or you are begging to lose traction and wreck your Boss.

I did a track day at 50 degrees American with a damp track, it was a bit hairy with the TC off playing tag with my friend's GT3RS. Even in the dry parts of the track traction was an issue with any real throttle, and I got a lot of wheel hop. You will have a hoot ;D

The tires are ok in cold weather, its just the same in the rain. Slow down and no jabbing on the go pedal if you don't want to be sideways.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
Yeah you like that huh well do a supercharger and it will do that at all temps ;D
could just buy the hardest cheapest tires from pep boys and do it year round as well lol....or get some spare tires from the junk yard and spin the tires just by breathing on the gas pedal lol

I would love to find a spare rim (Just 1) and put a tire on it and put it in the "Spare Area" in the trunk... sure the "Fix a Flat" stuff works if you have a small hole, but if you blow a sidewall out, no amount of Fix-a-Flat is going to work...

I haven't noticed in decrease in traction yet due to air temp, but then again, i don't drive the BOSS in rain or snow... I have my V6 mustang for that, but even it looses traction in rain and in colder weather (it has 20" Nitto 555's).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
rpm3dinc said:
I would love to find a spare rim (Just 1) and put a tire on it and put it in the "Spare Area" in the trunk... sure the "Fix a Flat" stuff works if you have a small hole, but if you blow a sidewall out, no amount of Fix-a-Flat is going to

Won't fit.

Tried placing 19" 255 wheel/tire from daughters V6 performance package in truck. Too big for the truck well.

45F I believe is the recommended lower temperature limit. Had a lot of mornings close to that in the Boston area. Toss in some puddles, wet leaves and fog. Well...perhaps my DD BOSS will soon become my 9 month DD and one of the other salt cars will get the call.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
TMSBOSS said:
rpm3dinc said:
I would love to find a spare rim (Just 1) and put a tire on it and put it in the "Spare Area" in the trunk... sure the "Fix a Flat" stuff works if you have a small hole, but if you blow a sidewall out, no amount of Fix-a-Flat is going to

Won't fit.

Tried placing 19" 255 wheel/tire from daughters V6 performance package in truck. Too big for the truck well.

I recall reading a big thread on the perfect fit spare tire & rim (almost, it raises the rear cover a bit but negligible amount) on either TMS or AFM. Google search and you will find it, if you can't I'll edit this post. later

ace72ace said:
I recall reading a big thread on the perfect fit spare tire & rim (almost, it raises the rear cover a bit but negligible amount) on either TMS or AFM. Google search and you will find it, if you can't I'll edit this post. later
There was one on TMS and the guy had the wheel and tire option to order from Tirerack if I remember correctly. If I find the link I'll post it unless you beat me to it.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Wish I had the part number to post. Overseas again.

To order my kit I called the parts department and they found a kit with tire, jack lug wrench and a few other items like instructions for the jack plastic bumper to protect the trunk mat. Also included was the wing bolt to hold down the jack and othersh----stuff.

Have not attempted to install on front of BOSS With Brembo. You may have to put the spare on the rear and move rear tire to front incase of a front flat. Not Sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors