The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Beware, new scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
You post a WTB thread. A member PMs you saying they know someone who has what you need and put you in contact with them. Their contact offers you a good deal and asks for a friends/family PayPal payment, that’s the only way they’ll do it.

Don’t go through with this. Make a normal payment or move on. Better yet, just move on. Report the user to a moderator.

If you know of other scams like this, reply and give details of what to look out for. We’re not looking for people to call out bad experiences with others, we mean scams.

Also, if you receive a PM like this, add me to the conversation so I can see it (look for the "Invite More" link in the right column).

Last edited:
Yep, ran into the same thing here. User sent me a PM, said to send an email to a Gmail address. Sent the email, details were fishy and they couldn't answer details about what they had. Everybody stay smart out there and never send money via friends and family.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I do not think anyone on this Forum would have an issue with folks having to have a set number of posts ( whether 100 or 250 ) before they can list something for sale , etc. Many Forums require a fee to post items for Sale, or have actual paid membership, and since TMO has such a great reputation for being friendly, tech savvy and super helpful , I think we all want it to stay safe.

Double0Fox has a good suggestion and it might be worth a Poll to see what others think? This might help LudaChris set up parameters to protect the site and the members?!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Chris-

I recommend changing this rule:

“Please provide photos when possible”

To include posting pictures with the member’s Forum Name and Date written on something included with the parts.

It proves the person has the parts and that they did not steal the pic from elsewhere.

I do NOT recommend posting phone numbers in the listing. That should be done via PM.

Many other sites have minimum post number requirements for classified post or PM functions. 5 or 10 is typical.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Chris-

I recommend changing this rule:

“Please provide photos when possible”

To include posting pictures with the member’s Forum Name and Date written on something included with the parts.

It proves the person has the parts and that they did not steal the pic from elsewhere.

I do NOT recommend posting phone numbers in the listing. That should be done via PM.

Many other sites have minimum post number requirements for classified post or PM functions. 5 or 10 is typical.
Agreed, this is a good idea. However the issue the OP raised was that of new members reaching out to those of us posting WTB listings. This recently happened to me twice in a week from 2 "different " members using nearly identical language.... hmmmm.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel