The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BFG g-Force Rival Track Use Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rival is already out in many sizes and should be available in 18" 275/35 and 295/35 sizes in a few weeks. I plan on ordering a set but it might not be until late Summer until I need them. These new tires look to be very promising with potentially more grip and longer wear than the Hankook RS-3 many of us are using. Not to mention wider. ;D If anyone buys a set please post up your impressions of them.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/sports-performance-tires/g-force-rival/tire-details

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=735WR8GFR&tab=Specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=935WR8GFR&tab=Specs

tire-g-force-rival-hero.png

isrboss

These are all over my radar after I wear out my RE11's. I'm sure these will be every bit the bad ass tire to drive to, track, drive home tire. Just need more sizes, and since I have plenty of RE11 tread left, I'm in no hurry.

Ordered a pair of 295/35-18's. I want to see how these will fit up front, then decide to either use them in the back with 275/35-18's in front, or use them up front with 315/30-18's in the back. Got 3 days scheduled for Watkins Glen at the end of Jun, but now they are estimating that they won't ship until the first week of July. I'll check back in and report how they fit and how they work on the track after I get a chance to run them.

I have had these installed on my vehicle last week and plan to test them out very soon. I went with 275/35/18 in the front and 295/35/18 in the rear.

Along with the tires, I put them on 18x9.5 Enkei's, and 18x10.5 Enkei's. And to balance the car better I installed the Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

After this was all completed I noticed the left rear sits out further than the right rear and when I called to ask about it I was told they all do that. Is this correct? It's not a great amount but enough to expose the tire outside the rear fender slightly.

I will write up my thoughts/opinions of the g-force rivals when I get a chance or after my track day at the end of the month!

I'm considering the rivals as well, my only concern is that the 275/35 up front has a greater than 5% speed diff compared to the stock tire size.

as for the wheel sticking out, did you replace the stock panhard bar with an adjustable one? if not, that may be the reason why the wheel is sticking out. as the car gets lowered, the non-adjustable stock panhard bar pushed the axle more towards the driver side.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SUPRMN said:
I have had these installed on my vehicle last week and plan to test them out very soon. I went with 275/35/18 in the front and 295/35/18 in the rear.

Along with the tires, I put them on 18x9.5 Enkei's, and 18x10.5 Enkei's. And to balance the car better I installed the Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

After this was all completed I noticed the left rear sits out further than the right rear and when I called to ask about it I was told they all do that. Is this correct? It's not a great amount but enough to expose the tire outside the rear fender slightly.

They all do do that if you do not install an adjustable panhard bar. I went with the FRPP bushed version. Nice piece.

I will write up my thoughts/opinions of the g-force rivals when I get a chance or after my track day at the end of the month!

F.D. Sako said:
I'm considering the rivals as well, my only concern is that the 275/35 up front has a greater than 5% speed diff compared to the stock tire size.

as for the wheel sticking out, did you replace the stock panhard bar with an adjustable one? if not, that may be the reason why the wheel is sticking out. as the car gets lowered, the non-adjustable stock panhard bar pushed the axle more towards the driver side.

I did not replace the stock panhard bar. For right now I will see how things go as is but may look into a few changes like swaybar and panhard bar in the future. Right now just making small changes so I know what works or what I like/dislike.

Last thing I want to do is make a dozen changes and not be certain as to what causes a problem or a dislike in handling/performance. JMO

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SUPRMN said:
I did not replace the stock panhard bar. For right now I will see how things go as is but may look into a few changes like swaybar and panhard bar in the future. Right now just making small changes so I know what works or what I like/dislike.

Last thing I want to do is make a dozen changes and not be certain as to what causes a problem or a dislike in handling/performance. JMO

Fully understand a deliberate rational approach....although my wife has her doubts!! ;D

A PHB is about the only way to center up the rear diff unless you jump to a Watts Link system. Having a stock bar will do no harm. This is definitely an item which could be added later. Several sources often run sales on suspension items. Could be a way to save a few bucks.

I'm still looking for feedback on these tires, especially compared to the Kook RS-3's. I found this below on a Bimmer forum.

" I had been running RS-3's since the beginning of last season so I believe I can give you the answers you and others are looking for.

Car:

E36 328i
2600# w/o driver
245/40/17 BFG Rival(Current)
3 Time attack events(4 hours total track time)

Size comparison vs Hankook RS-3's:

The Rivals fit a bit wider than the RS-3, the 245/40/17 BFG Rival fits exactly like the first set of 255/40/17 Hankook RS-3's I used at the beginning of last year. I moved to a 245/40/17 RS-3 later in the season and it was a perfect fit on my 8.5" wide K1's. I assume a 235 RIval would be equaivalent to a 245 RS-3.

Wear comparison vs Hankook RS-3:

Whoever said these tires wear like "Iron" obviously didn't push their tires to the absolute max because after 3 time attack events(about 1.5 hours track time each event), they wear identical to how my RS-3's did - maybe even a little worse. Having said that, they definitely wear more evenly than the RS-3, especially up front, which is nice! I had very slight chunking on the outer edge of my fronts but that was because I was searching for the optimal pressures and went a little too low(33 hot).

Dry performance vs Hankook RS-3:

Without a doubt in mind, they are the better tire in cooler temps(10-15C ambient) - they only take half a lap to come in and remain consistent for 20 minute sessions. Now, up the temps(20-30C) and its a completely different animal. I found them to get greasy rather quickly so they certainly reward smooth inputs and ultra smooth throttle application, but let me tell you, these tires will let you get away with murder - tire murder that is! The earlier reports of these tires being VERY forgiving at the limits is accurate to say the least. Although they got extremely greasy, I could still feel the tires lose grip gradually at the limit allowing me to easily manage some rather big "moments". Also, according to my times, they did not seem to lose much from earlier to later runs - 3/10ths to be exact(ambient 15C vs 28C). I guess what I am saying is that these tires may scare the crap out of you when it gets hot out, but they still seem to perform quite well on the time sheets! I give a very slight edge to the Rival over the RS-3.

Wet performance vs Hankook RS-3:

During my first time attack event with these tires, it just happened to rain...just my luck. I must say that these tires faired quite well in these conditions(no standing water though) and certainly offered more grip than the RS-3 ever had. In fact, this lead me into a false sense of security and I quickly learned that, although good, they are not quite Hoosier wet good... needless to say I looped it. So, they may not be the best wet tire out there but they are MUCH better than the RS-3!

Pressures vs Hankook RS-3:

With the RS-3 I would run in the 36-38psi Hot window and so far the Rivals are liking anywhere form 37-41psi Hot(after 3 events of testing). I had read that some people said 32psi Hot is good but I tested that this past weekend and at 2600#, the tires roll over far too much and cause sidewall damage. I will be doing some more testing in a couple weeks though as I feel like I am not quite where I need to be... "

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1981265-You-re-thinking-it-I-m-thinking-it-so-here-it-is-I-need-tires-RS3-ZII-Rival/page2

Nice find. Interesting to hear that they are better in the wet than RS3.
RS3 is clearly not known for wet performane, but I expected the Rivals to be more like RT615s in the wet :)

Guys just jumping in with an update. I ended up cancelling the 295 Rivals I had on order since I fired a tire at the Glen and had another event coming up before the Rivals would ship. Had to get something quick and ended up picking up a set of Nitto NT01 in 275/35-18 and 305/35-18. Still interested in hearing how people like the Rivals as I may got to them after my Nitto's wear out.

Hermes said:
Guys just jumping in with an update. I ended up cancelling the 295 Rivals I had on order since I fired a tire at the Glen and had another event coming up before the Rivals would ship. Had to get something quick and ended up picking up a set of Nitto NT01 in 275/35-18 and 305/35-18. Still interested in hearing how people like the Rivals as I may got to them after my Nitto's wear out.

Does that tire size clear the brake ducts at full lock?

TMO Supporting Vendors