The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BFgoodrich rivals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I've tried for the last two days to get to the bottom of this and even BFgoodrich themselves couldn't answer this, and actually pawned me off on a speed shop that's a dealer, who told me to call tire rack... And lets just say I don't think I'll be buying these from them after how answered my question.

I am looking at running the rival on my boss, which I plan to start auto-x'ing, but I also DD the car.

Here's the impossible question, will I have a problem with heat cycling the rival out? They seem to be the only tire that's not a R-compound that is in the size I want (295/35/18).

Thanks
Kody

cosm3os said:
No. Street tires don't heat cycle out.
It sure seems like my Hankook RS3's did after about 30 heat cycles and driving to and from the track. Mine probably have less than 4,000 miles on them and plenty of tread left.

Ok maybe I should've stated this question a little better. Would I risk heat cycling them out within the life of the tire itself? If that makes sense? I drive the car pretty hard all the time. My current NT05's have about 10,000 miles on them and are have about quarter tread left and that's with no track time on them.

I've thought about the toyo R8's as they have that size but the general consensus is they heat cycle out in about 3,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
kody said:
Ok maybe I should've stated this question a little better. Would I risk heat cycling them out within the life of the tire itself? If that makes sense? I drive the car pretty hard all the time. My current NT05's have about 10,000 miles on them and are have about quarter tread left and that's with no track time on them.

I've thought about the toyo R8's as they have that size but the general consensus is they heat cycle out in about 3,000 miles.

Kody
If you can heat cycle a set of tires on the street you are driving way too dangerously. Occassional back roads or mountain road fun doesn't put the sustained loading and temperature build into the tires to cause chemical change in the rubber like race and track driving will. Street compounds are more tolerant of operating temperature range than racing slicks or R Compound treaded tires. 10000 miles on NT05's is pretty good with their 60 Treadwear rating.

I by no means drive the car hard enough to heat cycle them out on the streets. I plan on auto-x'ing the car and want a tire I can keep on at all times till I can get a set of track only wheels and tires.

And also my NT05's are not the R's and have a 200 tread wear rating if I remember correctly.

Are you looking for tire fitment on the stock wheels? If so no Rivals will fit. Depending if you drive in the rain a lot I'd look at Michelin PSS or for drier conditions look at the new Yokohama AD08 R. Any autocross or track driving is going to shorten their street life. Too many variables to be more specific than that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=735WR8GFR&tab=Specs

Sorry these are going on cortex 18x10.5 enkei's.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I went with the BFG Sport Comp's on the stock wheels for the street and also have had them on the track. noticeable difference from my NT01's but the aren't too bad and they were reasonably priced

NFSBOSS said:
It sure seems like my Hankook RS3's did after about 30 heat cycles and driving to and from the track. Mine probably have less than 4,000 miles on them and plenty of tread left.

My RS3s appeared to heat cycle out after 8 days or 30ish heat cycles as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel