The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Big Brake Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
When I went to Boss Track Attack I think their cars had a Big Brake Kits. Can't remember what brand they were using. I've seen many posts with people changing rotors & pads but can't recall seeing anyone upgrade the calipers. Found this kit from Stop Tech and they say no need to change the master cylinder or the proportioning valve.

http://www.stoptech.com/Search/Product-Details/83---334---6800---72/2012/Ford/Mustang/Boss-302-or-GT,-optional-Brembo-Frt-Perf-Brk-Pkg/BigBrakeKit

Has anyone upgraded to this kit and will the stock wheels fit? What other kits/calipers have people tried?

Cheers!

Sesshomurai

I just did a 'quick change' to race pads on the stock brembo's (which are great btw). There's a how-to for it on the site. Easy because I didn't have to remove the calipers.
The brakes in your link wouldn't allow for that by their design - the top of the caliper is not open like on the brembos. You'd have to remove the calipers, which is a pain, especially at the track. Just an observation.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Boomerstoys said:
When I went to Boss Track Attack I think their cars had a Big Brake Kits. Can't remember what brand they were using. I've seen many posts with people changing rotors & pads but can't recall seeing anyone upgrade the calipers. Found this kit from Stop Tech and they say no need to change the master cylinder or the proportioning valve.

http://www.stoptech.com/Search/Product-Details/83---334---6800---72/2012/Ford/Mustang/Boss-302-or-GT,-optional-Brembo-Frt-Perf-Brk-Pkg/BigBrakeKit

Has anyone upgraded to this kit and will the stock wheels fit? What other kits/calipers have people tried?

Cheers!

We have these on our Roush Trak Pak race cars (in the 355x32mm rotor size aka 14"), they work very well but the race pads are $475+ per set. I'd look into the 4-piston setups (ST40, ST40 Trophy) they have; also try to stay in the 355mm rotor size if you intend to run 18" wheels for track days; 18" wheels won't clear the 380mm kits.

I have conflicting info on the BTA car brakes. I've heard they changed so all their class cars have the same brakes not because they had any issues. Then last week I was at Laguna Seca and ran into one of the guys that works at MMP and whom I met at BTA. He said the calipers are stock. I'd like to see a photo of the "upgraded" calipers. I think the stock brakes are fine for 99% of us as long as you're using race pads with DOT4 fluid, SS brake lines and the brake cooling kit.

Yesterday I talked to a Ford Racing engineer at Sonoma during the World Challenge race. I heard a rumor that FR was working on a Boss upgrade package but he didn't confirm that. He did say the 2013 GT500 brake setup would be an upgrade. Not from a stopping power perspective but from a cooling perspective. The GT500 uses 15" rotors on the front and 13" in the rear. The upgrade part is larger rotors and swept pad area to better dissipate heat. FYI the Boss 302 S/R race cars come stock with our rear calipers and rotors with race pads. The WC series allows cars to run different brake setups and the Rehagan car I was looking at had 13" rear rotors with stock calipers. It also had Stoptech front calipers as did about half the WC cars there.

IMG_1559.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
We have these on our Roush Trak Pak race cars (in the 355x32mm rotor size aka 14"), they work very well but the race pads are $475+ per set. I'd look into the 4-piston setups (ST40, ST40 Trophy) they have; also try to stay in the 355mm rotor size if you intend to run 18" wheels for track days; 18" wheels won't clear the 380mm kits.
I was told the BBS 18" wheels will clear the GT500 15" rotors and six piston calipers.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
I was told the BBS 18" wheels will clear the GT500 15" rotors and six piston calipers.

Not sure about that specific wheel but most won't.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel