Big Crash At The Ring: Must Watch!

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Nov 13, 2017.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

2. WinterSucks

WinterSucks TMO Addict

That is crazy. Too bad his car was immediately wrecked even though he was the only one who appears to belong on a track.

Grant 302 and VoodooBoss like this.
  3. BigTaco

BigTaco TMO Addict

4. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $265,852 Moderator

That guy probably saved a few lives. I've always wondered how they stop or slow the cars after an accident. Now I know they just can't and don't.

5. yotah1

yotah1 TMO Advanced

There's a few things to talk about in that video...

First off, this is not during a trackday, so there's less safety as it's considered tourist driving, meaning the rules are the same as an open toll road.
    Now, the Nurburgring has setup more yellow lights all around the track as well as track marshalls almost every kilometer, but these guys ar epretty much doing this for free just because they love the place and want to help keep it running. It's been like that for years and is the only way the Nordschleife can survive financially. Now, there should be a marshall in that corner, but it was late sunday evening, and although the track was still open, my friends who were there all said the marshall was already gone. That didn't help.

Second thing : the yellow lights are super far ahead of this section, and apparently weren't ON fast enough to prevent the "after" crashes with all the cars getting down there at full speed. The entry to this corner, with a GT3 or a good M3, is around 200 kph at the braking point, and it's after a blind left corner!

Third thing : that guy saved lives by running up along the track, on the safe side of the catchfence, not like the idiot at the end of the video... but he also created a second crash zone by stopping in one of the only safety zones where cars could slow down and avoid the crashed cars. No wonder his car got smashed by the GT3 RS (a friend of mine by the way, and not really a newbie at the Ring ...).

Fourth, the E36 got rear ended by the Audi TT because it was really in the wrong place at the wrong time. He couldn't really help more than what the others were already doing, but stopped anyway and created an even worse situation for anybody arriving flatout on the scene :(. For info, the Audi TT driver was airlifted to the hospital with a severe head trauma (despite the full cage, bucket, harness and helmet) and spent a week in coma. He woke up apparently this week, remembering everything and without any severe consequences from his crash, pretty lucky guy. The other guy who ended up in the hospital was the E36 driver, that you can see flying over the armco at 1'50" in the video because he just got out of his car when the TT hit the E36, and he was thrown up in the air and landed outside the track. Broken leg and a change of pants from what I heard. I don't even call that luck anymore, he should have played the lottery that day!

That's the entire story, with 14 cars damaged, 6 apparently are write offs (including the GT3 RS which was hit 4 times!), 2 injured but on the path to full recovery, and an insurance nightmare now...

I'm just glad my 4 friends involved in it got out unscathed and it's only the cars that got damaged.

Safety is getting better there, but it still is a freaking dangerous place and there's one thing I always have in the back of my head every time I crossed that "start line" from the parking lot : this might very well be the last one.

6. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Anthony, thanks for adding that detailed info on the crash. If I ever drive any tracks in Europe Spa and not the Ring is at the top of my list.

Mad Hatter and Grant 302 like this.
  7. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $265,852 Moderator

Thanks for the inside scoop and background info, yotah.

8. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I wonder what caused the initial wreck that led to this mayhem. A spin out, I would guess, not that it mattered much during what happened the short time that followed.

9. yotah1

yotah1 TMO Advanced

A 997 GT3 RS spilled its entire coolant fluid on the track, due to a poor seal on the cooling system of the RS engines, a known fault on 911s for the past 10-12 years, without any recall for it...

VoodooBoss, I can understand, and Spa is very challenging when you have horsepower (not so much when you're under 300hp...) but the Nurburgring has an aura, a feeling that is hard to describe. And in all honesty, I would go back anyway just for the ambiance around the track :)

VoodooBoss likes this.
  10. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Spilled fluid on the track would certainly explain why the cars coming up to the scene spun wildly while trying to avoid it. A dry road is your best friend..after that all bets are off!

11. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

lots of tracks have banned anti freeze and require something like a "water wetter" instead. Anti freeze on pavement is like ice, mix some oil with it and forget it.

Mad Hatter and Grant 302 like this.