The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Big Dave Whitworth kills it at the last SCCA Solo National Tour of 2022!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dateline : December 2-4, 2022

The Red Hills Region of the SCCA hosted the last " National Tour " for autocrossers at Spence Field ( old WWII base ) in Moultrie , Georgia this past weekend , and Dave Whitworth absolutely demolished the highly competitive CAM-C field. Now Dave has plenty of great runs over the years but this win was a showcase for him and the new Bridgestone RE71RSs! Dave and his wife Liz travel all over the US , since their company ( Solo Performance Specialties ) gives Coneheads on site support for National Tour events , along with the National Championships and many Divisional events. For Dave and Liz this means they often test new products and especially tires , and Dave showed up in Moultrie with a set of the new Bridgestones, but.......................in tiny 295/18s!! Friday was open for practice and after using both the A052 ( 315 ) Yokes and the Bridgerocks , Dave decided to go with the RE71RSs as they seemed to be running a bit quicker -- to his surprise. I was fortunate enough to announce the 3rd heat in which Dave was running and it was dynamic to see the Big Black S197 just hook everywhere and allow him to put all the power down. He was running times that would have put him at the head of Classes that are almost always ahead of CAM-C and it was a testament to his driving skill along with proof the new Bridgestones will be a hot ticket again in 2023. The pavement , aged concrete over 80 years old, is similar to the grip at the Nationals site in Lincoln, Nebraska , so take note Mustang Coneheads, you now have another choice. I will predict, if there is a RE71RS coming out in 315 sizes , that will be a monster rubber donut to contend with for the other brands, but we all know there is a continual change with compounding so stay tuned ------- that is the reason this Forum is so key, it has way more up to date info than most other sites ! Since this Forum is dedicated to Trackrats the focus is highly pertinent to the bulk of the members here. Congrats to DaveW, it was a great win, it was fun to watch and even more fun to announce.

In related news, the Whitworth family lived on the podium, since wife, Liz, claimed the Silver Medal in C -Prepared Ladies with the same car ------ yes, she trophied in C-Prepared running a CAM-C machine. Lastly my son, Ryan, bumped his EVO 9 into a faster Class, lead the Class both Saturday and Sunday during certain runs, and finally fell to a modified ZR1 Vette on that driver's final run. That was still good for second place which garnered him a new A7 Hoosier ( Blacksheep would be proud, ha ).

soloperformance.com

Not to toot my own horn, but I also won overall index for the event. :) Event coverage from SCCA is getting skipped over/ignored because of the flag controversy.

Congrats Dave! Was this on 295's bridgstones?

Yes. 295 on 18x12 wheels. They are kind of stanced. PHotos below show one mounted and one compared to a Yok on the same wheel. It is hard to judge on 9 runs on them, but my initial take away is that they don't offer a huge increase in lateral or longitudinal grip over the Yokohama but the Bridgestone seems to tolerate sliding and heat a little better which makes it easier to drive at the limit.

DaveW

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0091.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The index win was super huge !! This event may have a slightly lower participant count than events earlier in the year, ( read warmer ) but the number of past " National Champions " was above scale. DaveW not only had a magnificent drive he did it in the CAM-C Class which many autocrossers know is a very difficult Class to ever secure the " Top " Index at any event. It was more fun for me to announce Dave's times, as realizing this I was able to convey the enthusiasm over the Microphone , simply because it was apparent that he was on the edge and fasssssssssstttt !!

Top of the heap, a Black S197 , and member of TMO !! We all be proud!!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors