The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bilstein or Koni Yellow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This has probably been asked before, most likely by me.

Which shock/strut would be a better choice?

I am generally a set it and forget it type of person. The more adjustments I have the better the chance of messing something up.

I'm leaning toward the Bilsteins for that reason. If they are more comparable to the Koni Reds which may be close to what we have already, I'd go with the Yellows.

Yellow. You can easily buy one damper if for some reason one got damaged. Lots of Mustang owners using them with great success. Why mess with a known good upgrade? A single adjuster is a good thing and you'll learn quickly how to use them.

I would go with the Yellows also, never used Bilsteins but IMO if I am paying 800 for something I can't adjust then I don't want to buy it. Also I don't know what springs you have but if they are comparable to the P springs you may want something stiffer at least with the Koni's.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
2012Boss302 said:
This has probably been asked before, most likely by me.

Which shock/strut would be a better choice?

I am generally a set it and forget it type of person. The more adjustments I have the better the chance of messing something up.

I'm leaning toward the Bilsteins for that reason. If they are more comparable to the Koni Reds which may be close to what we have already, I'd go with the Yellows.

I have the Bilsteins , I'm running them with K springs and Vorshlag camber plates. The car is transformed. I highly recommend them. If you have not read the Vorshlag piece on the Mustang suspension you should. http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559
I would guess the Konis are a great up grade as well , but I went with the Bilsteins based on Vorshlags input.

I'm the weird guy with the tokico D-spec they work very great. I run them 5 turns out and start at 2 turns as my base line at the track. I also heard strange adjustable shocks/struts are the tits aswell.

Track50h said:
I'm the weird guy with the tokico D-spec they work very great. I run them 5 turns out and start at 2 turns as my base line at the track. I also heard strange adjustable shocks/struts are the tits aswell.
You're not alone. A lot of us have the D-specs and they work well too. (FRPP M-18000-C) I've also had single adjustable Koni Yellows on coilovers and was happy with them.

Is the sale on Koni right now significant enough to bother buying a set and storing for a year or more? The other day I noticed I could slightly wiggle one of the rear pistons ??? No leak though...

WinterSucks said:
Is the sale on Koni right now significant enough to bother buying a set and storing for a year or more? The other day I noticed I could slightly wiggle one of the rear pistons ??? No leak though...

If it is the same sale I cashed in on they were right around 600.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:

Maybe, but they go on sale every year. So I doubt it would be worth tying up the cash for that long.

TMO Supporting Vendors