The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Black Dust on Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi
New to the site and find it very helpful. Got a rr 2012 last week.live on Cape Cod and with off and on wether have only driven it a few times. Question is after I have used it and wipe it down with a Micro cloth the cloth has a substantial amount of black dust and it comes from all over the car. I think it brake dust? I have never had this with any other car. Anyone else have this? Does anyone know about dust covers for the rotors?
Thanks
Mike

I noticed this too ----- especially on the black wheels. It may be the performance friction compound brake pads. It seems to have lessened a bit after almost 600 miles....

My guess is that this is brake dust, Mike. I had a BMW 550i that did this also. It was really bad. If you drove the car over 10 miles you could wipe your finger on any side or back and it would come away black. I just got used to misting the car with detailing spray a couple times a week to hold it at bay.

Installing rotor shields will most likely hamper brake cooling - something you may not want to do especially if you ever have the car on a track.

-J

it could be rail dust too. that stuff gets all over the cars in shipment, a good claying will get it off. mine had black spots on the lower section of the body that was rail dust. it only had 20ish mile son it when i got it.

I was looking at my car today and it does seem to have brake dust on it. Aggressive pads often dust heavily, and bedding won't do much on them. If you are really concerned about it, you could try switching pads. I don't recall off hand what pads don't dust much, as I put Hawk Blues on pretty much everything ;D You could try calling Hawk or EBC and asking what will fit that will not dust much, but if you are going to track it you are probably stuck with dusty pads.

Yea, it's brake dust. My BMW's were notorious for this as most are. When you have aggressive pads they will dust badly. I clean my wheels pretty much after every other drive. Also as far as I remember, ford has had serious brake dust up front on all their vehicles. If you drive these cars for more than a few days without cleaning, you will see a pretty good buildup of brake dust on the wheels and on the areas behind the wheels.

I have a PW Boss and I noticed the fine black dust very soon after delivery. I have about 3,600 miles and it still shows up aft of each tire and on the rear of the car. I thought it was just a combo of road grit, tire wear and brake dust. I bought a Califirnia Car Duster and it works great. I dust it everynight and then put the cover on.

Hambone said:
I have a PW Boss and I noticed the fine black dust very soon after delivery. I have about 3,600 miles and it still shows up aft of each tire and on the rear of the car. I thought it was just a combo of road grit, tire wear and brake dust. I bought a Califirnia Car Duster and it works great. I dust it everynight and then put the cover on.

do you notice if the duster scratches the stripes or the vinyl at all?

I have not noticed anything new that I have caused. The dealer had waxed the car and I could see a few swirl marks on the hood. I try to use the duster lightly. What I have found is if you try to wipe the dust off it just piles up as you wipe as if it had a static charge. The duster is good because it has wax on it so it picks it up fairly easy. I am definately not the pickiest guy on this site but I do love a clean well maintained car and do all the washing myself.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Did you guys have the Simoniz GlassCoat applied to your cars? I was given a bottle by my dealer when I bought my Boss (normally the dealer applies it as an official Simoniz reseller and they change $300). I did notice that the process made the car very electrostatic and the paint picked up more dust (from brakes or otherwise) for a while after I first did the application.

cali-NT54 said:
Hambone said:

I use the California Car Duster also and it does not cause any scratches. I either wash my car after every drive or dust it off with the CCD and then use Meguiars Ultimate Detailer and I have been very happy with the results.

Hambone said:
I have not noticed anything new that I have caused. The dealer had waxed the car and I could see a few swirl marks on the hood. I try to use the duster lightly. What I have found is if you try to wipe the dust off it just piles up as you wipe as if it had a static charge. The duster is good because it has wax on it so it picks it up fairly easy. I am definately not the pickiest guy on this site but I do love a clean well maintained car and do all the washing myself.
MrGT5oh said:
cali-NT54 said:
Hambone said:

I use the California Car Duster also and it does not cause any scratches. I either wash my car after every drive or dust it off with the CCD and then use Meguiars Ultimate Detailer and I have been very happy with the results.

Thank you, I think i will go get one then

MA
Bossjm said:
Hi
New to the site and find it very helpful. Got a rr 2012 last week.live on Cape Cod and with off and on wether have only driven it a few times. Question is after I have used it and wipe it down with a Micro cloth the cloth has a substantial amount of black dust and it comes from all over the car. I think it brake dust? I have never had this with any other car. Anyone else have this? Does anyone know about dust covers for the rotors?
Thanks
Mike

Congrats on the car!

I noticed your from the Cape. I live about 30 minutes from the Cape Cod Canal, north side. There was a RR Boss at Rodman Ford a while back when I bought my car. This wouldn't happen to be the car you bought, would it??? If it is, I actually test drove it, hard. ::)

MA
Hambone said:
SVT1 that is just not right Dude! You may as well told him you slept with his wife!

HAHA!!! I know, when I read that back I kind of thought along those lines too. Oops.

When I bought my PW Boss, I actually went and test drove a RR one at a local Ford dealer. There were only 3 in New England at that time. So, I do the credit app and essentially agree to buy the car, before they let me test drive it.

So on the test drive I wanted to make sure I'd have no regrets so I let her rip pretty hard through 1-3 gears, leaving a surprising amount of rubber in my wake. Afterall, I did just agree to buy the car, right?

So I get them to accept 1,000 under sticker. Great, this is going fantastic I thought!

Go to sign the papers and come to learn they marked it up 12k!!!! They never revealed that! Since the car was literally right off the delivery truck, they hadn't put their ADM sticker on it yet. I was mad as heck! As I'm walking out, they try to tell me they'll cut 1,000 more off the ADM!! The next day I bought my PW Boss at another dealership an hour away for sticker over the phone.

I was tempted to go back to Rodman Ford and show them my car but figured I probably cared alot more than they did so why bother...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel