The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Black GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks like some loverly Apex rims, and we know you have a Barton shifter, but we just can't let you off that easy , ha. Here's your TMO nosy member's list:

1. What suspension?
2. What brand of tires and size?
3. Whose Cold Air Intake?
3. What brake pads are you using?
4. What brand of headers?
5. Which exhaust system are you using and is it catback?
6. Are you still using the rubber valve stem covers?
7. Do you have belts in the car or do you just hold on for dear life?
8. ..... and lastly, we bet you have a black 8 ball shift knob.

Enquiring minds want to know , cuz we have nothing else to do right now.

I am just helping you out as there are quite a few 4.6 Devotees on this site and they would have been a lot harder on your list than this old fart from Kneebrasskey, ha.

Last edited:
Bay Area
Looks like some loverly Apex rims, and we know you have a Barton shifter, but we just can't let you off that easy , ha. Here's your TMO nosy member's list:

1. What suspension?
5. Which exhaust system are you using and is it cutback?

I am just helping you out as there are quite a few 4.6 Devotees on this site and they would have been a lot harder on your list than this old fart from Kneebrasskey, ha.

oh Lord @Bill Pemberton if you’re asking questions like this you’re gonna be a terror once you retire. Hahaha. Just messing man. But your list of questions and statement did make me LOL.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tim is from Phoenixville, PA., land of the Aquilante Family, where Blacksheep 1's new car is still hiding, and you just know Tim is likely being secretive until he meets other TMO members on track. Conspiracing Theorists just follow the clues;

1. His first name is Tim, that is MIT backwards, so he is probably an Engineer.
2. He calls his car Black Magic ------hmmm, we know the Wizards of Phoenixville are the folks at Phoenix Performance.
3. His last name is Dickinson, which means he is the son of Dickens , as in, " Faster than the Dickens!"
4. He already knows it's best to have Apex rims!
5. His car number is 22 and I heard that is a quick number.

............and lastly we know those 4.6 3V guys always talk about being down on power , but Tim never even mentioned that!!!

Fess up, Timothy!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
Tim is from Phoenixville, PA., land of the Aquilante Family, where Blacksheep 1's new car is still hiding, and you just know Tim is likely being secretive until he meets other TMO members on track. Conspiracing Theorists just follow the clues;

1. His first name is Tim, that is MIT backwards, so he is probably an Engineer.
2. He calls his car Black Magic ------hmmm, we know the Wizards of Phoenixville are the folks at Phoenix Performance.
3. His last name is Dickinson, which means he is the son of Dickens , as in, " Faster than the Dickens!"
4. He already knows it's best to have Apex rims!
5. His car number is 22 and I heard that is a quick number.

............and lastly we know those 4.6 3V guys always talk about being down on power , but Tim never even mentioned that!!!

Fess up, Timothy!
Lol! Yes, I am from Phoenixville and yes the guys over at Phoenix Performance are doing most of the work now. I have update the mods to date with more detail. Last summer was my first track day and i got the bug! All of these mods were from the past year. I think after a performance brake kit, i will just drive it for a while before i do anything else....lol, wishful thinking.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
See Conspriracing Theorists, that Ole Black Magic has wound it's spell -- the Wizards at Phoenix Performance are assisting with the mods. So now you have to ask yourself are Blacksheep 1 and Black Magic related ? Cars worked on and built at the same place and both have "Black" in their Forum Names.

Don't be too doubtful , look at my previous clairvoyant deduction and see if this too may not make some sense?

PS - TW from Phoenixville, going to give your revised build sheet a B, but an A for effort since you are a newcomer. Welcome to TMO and we all will follow and celebrate in your progress!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
See Conspriracing Theorists, that Ole Black Magic has wound it's spell -- the Wizards at Phoenix Performance are assisting with the mods. So now you have to ask yourself are Blacksheep 1 and Black Magic related ? Cars worked on and built at the same place and both have "Black" in their Forum Names.

Don't be too doubtful , look at my previous clairvoyant deduction and see if this too may not make some sense?

PS - TW from Phoenixville, going to give your revised build sheet a B, but an A for effort since you are a newcomer. Welcome to TMO and we all will follow and celebrate in your progress!!!
B? Lol! Thanks Bill. I’ll keep working on it and try and bring that grade up.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA

1. What suspension?
5. Which exhaust system are you using and is it catback?

I went back and updated all the mods in a little more detail. Now i just need to decide if i should get a 6 piston Brake kit or if a 4 piston setup is enough. Any advice?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You have Phoenix right down the road and Blacksheep 1 is on here, but my first reaction would be a 4 piston is more than sufficient ,especially with a good set of race pads and ----------------------brake duct work. That, imho, is almost more important than moving to the upgraded brakes as keeping your current system cooled means an upgraded rotor , super aggressive pads, will show a marked improvement. Good move, because you will want that setup even when going upmarket with your brakes. ( 4 pistons would be enough I would think)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
You have Phoenix right down the road and Blacksheep 1 is on here, but my first reaction would be a 4 piston is more than sufficient ,especially with a good set of race pads and ----------------------brake duct work. That, imho, is almost more important than moving to the upgraded brakes as keeping your current system cooled means an upgraded rotor , super aggressive pads, will show a marked improvement. Good move, because you will want that setup even when going upmarket with your brakes. ( 4 pistons would be enough I would think)
Yes, that is what they want to do too. I’ve had a few people tell me that i need the 6 piston setup. Those guys race with 4 so I think thats what i will do.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Reach out in a conversation to Blacksheep 1, if he does not see your thread , I am sure you guys will become friends with both of your Phoenix connections ---- and his connections are huge!!!

Plenty of us will chime in here and don't ever worry about asking questions , etc. -- we are sincere in welcoming those with the same passion we all have for racing Mustangs ( drags, autocross, time trials, HPDE, road racing ).

You have to remember many guys will tell you to do something because that is what they got talked into doing, yet as you noted Phoenix is using a 4 piston set-up. This is one of those situations where you are talking to one of the most respected racing Teams in SCCA ( ever ) and there really is no need to question their thoughts, methods or systems. You are right there in Aquilanteville and listening to your friend Bubba Bigger Brakes, who is mid pack in the novice group during HPDEs means you maybe should take the advice of the Phoenix Stangstuds!!!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Phoenixville PA
Reach out in a conversation to Blacksheep 1, if he does not see your thread , as I am sure you guys will become friends with both of your Phoenix connections ---- and his connections are huge!!!

Plenty of us will chime in here and don't ever worry about asking questions , etc. -- we are sincere in welcoming those with the same passion we all have for racing Mustangs ( drags, autocross, time trials, HPDE, road racing ).

You have to remember many guys will tell you to do something because that is what they got talked into doing, yet as you noted Phoenix is using a 4 piston set-up. This is one of those situations where you are talking to one of the most respected racing Teams in SCCA ( ever ) and there really is no need to question their thoughts, methods or systems. You are right there in Aquilanteville and listening to your friend Bubba Bigger Brakes, who is mid pack in the novice group during HPDEs means you maybe should take the advice of the Phoenix Stangstuds!!!
Right on!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Tim,

You may want to read Vorshlag's S197 5.0L thread. It is quite long and detailed. He is a competitive racer and used the Brembo 4-piston brakes almost the entire time. He updated it recently and the last page has his current views on brakes. While he upgraded to custom brakes, his comment is:

"We do sell an S197 brake upgrade kit using the 4 piston Brembo calipers, Centric 14" rotors, and a variety of G-LOC brake pads - and we will continue to sell this. Why? Because for 90% of the HPDE drivers and even some of the dedicated race car S197 Mustangs these can work well (with brake cooling), and they are a damn bit better than the 12" or 13" 2-piston front brakes on base or earlier S197s. Its when the weights are high, the power is up there, and the grip levels are ratcheted up where these start to lose effectiveness."

Based on you having a 4.6 the 4-pistons should be sufficient. I also recommend titanium backing plates for the pads.

I would recommend reading his earlier posts in that thread on brakes and brake cooling. He sells an outstanding ducted rotor backing plate with 3" oval ducts. It not only provide great cooling but it also protects the tie rod ends from rotor heat.

I'm in the Philly area too. Perhaps I'll see you at Pocono or NJMP.

TMO Supporting Vendors