The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blend vs full synthetic

Do you use the recommended blend or a full synthetic?

• 5w30 Blend

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 5w30 Full synthetic

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Other (please state in comments)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 5w50 full synthetic

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 5w50 blend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Gen3 coyote people: do you use the 5w30 synth blend as per the manual, or 5w30 full synthetic, or something else entirely?

I'm unsure what was recommended in prior coyote gens for track use but curious all the same (blend vs full synthetic).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I only use Full Synthetic and I believe most folks who track will be using 5-50W Full Synthetic for track use. I have used that in my past three Bosses, but I am going to try using 5-30W Full Synthetic in my Mach 1, since I change it after two race weekends. Will test sometime in the future to see how the 5-30W holds up, since so far the car is running cool on a road course, at speed , on hot days. Will shall see............

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Any specific reason people opt for the thicker stuff over what the manual recommends (eg- modded engine)? I don't know jack but I'd think Ford wouldn't have skimped on recommending a higher weight oil for track work. It's not like they're paying for it. Would an unnecessarily high weight oil actually be harmful bc engine has to push thru a marginally thicker fluid every cycle multiplied by xxxx rpms for magnitude?

Any specific reason people opt for the thicker stuff over what the manual recommends (eg- modded engine)? I don't know jack but I'd think Ford wouldn't have skimped on recommending a higher weight oil for track work. It's not like they're paying for it. Would an unnecessarily high weight oil actually be harmful bc engine has to push thru a marginally thicker fluid every cycle multiplied by xxxx rpms for magnitude?
This is only my opinion, and I'm not an engineer, but I'm thinking the lessor weights have something to do with mileage and ultimate performance. I can neither confirm or deny this but there has been rumors for over 5 years of cars running zero oil pressure engines, this is not that uncommon and is done elsewhere, and on some short tracks, I'm not sure that I'm game to try it, (unless superbeater loses oil pressure at some point, which is a very real possibility) but smaller cars have been doing this for quite awhile, the engine in the Suzuki Samurai for example, uses staged orifices in the main caps so that a minimum amount of oil is sent through the crank bearings. I think in most people's minds that a slightly higher weight oil is used for "insurance" , I'm not sure that is legit.. a higher weight oil would tend to give an artificially higher oil pressure, not necessarily better lubrication.. but that is the way I see it.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I called Ford's tech line about this. The guy I talked to said what the manual asks for is fine (5W20), if you are following Ford's guidelines for track use as laid out in the owner's manual. He's probably right.
But since I don't exactly follow their guidelines, I run 5W30 just for insurance, as BS1 said above, probably not needed as long as you are controlling heat effectively, which I am.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Ford has recommended 5w50 for track use in a number of model year coyotes so that’s what I run. Full synthetic.
Yeah I should of added, 2020 Bullitt but same manual. Says 5w20 street / 5w30 track synth blend.
This is only my opinion, and I'm not an engineer, but I'm thinking the lessor weights have something to do with mileage and ultimate performance. I can neither confirm or deny this but there has been rumors for over 5 years of cars running zero oil pressure engines, this is not that uncommon and is done elsewhere, and on some short tracks, I'm not sure that I'm game to try it, (unless superbeater loses oil pressure at some point, which is a very real possibility) but smaller cars have been doing this for quite awhile, the engine in the Suzuki Samurai for example, uses staged orifices in the main caps so that a minimum amount of oil is sent through the crank bearings. I think in most people's minds that a slightly higher weight oil is used for "insurance" , I'm not sure that is legit.. a higher weight oil would tend to give an artificially higher oil pressure, not necessarily better lubrication.. but that is the way I see it.
And TIL about the Suzuki Samurai's orifices! I actually almost bid on one of these a few months ago. Such a silly vehicle.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
BS1 you may not be an Engineer , but I know a few years back a good friend of mine ( Engineer for a Major Automotive Corp. ) said performance, mileage , and startup were the reason for lower oil weights just as you mentioned. They really push synthetic blends or synthetics to the public also and it has a lot to do with start up --- the bane of EPA emission testing. So the answer my fellow well aged friend, is , you be right!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Start up. If you have had your mustang stores for more than a few weeks. It’s good practice to let oil pressure come up before it fires. Hold the gas to the floor and watch the oil gauge as you crank up the engine. As soon as the needle starts to move, showing oil pressure, release the pedal. She should start right up with oil under pressure at the bearings, cam and lifters. It’s best to have that ”Cushion” of oil in place before it fires.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I love edit button here because I can go back and correct when I am typing too fast or when " spellcheck " decides it thinks it knows what I was saying. I use it all the time and I appreciate Ludachris leaving it " On " constantly. I am pretty sure, TMS, that your don't frank up your motor, but thanks to Mr. Chris you can crank up the edit button -- spellcheck is so annoying!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Buddy of mine retired out of senior performance engineering mgmt role @ Bowling Green a few years back. Said multiple times that the industry trend to lighter oils - even in high output engines - is driven by OEMs needing to *appear to be* complying with CAFE requirements.

Said also that selling EVs won't change this trend significantly, since the CAFE targets will rise faster than the positive average fuel economy bump due to EV sales.

Worst part is that his predictions were made pre-2020.

TMO Supporting Vendors