The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blend vs full synthetic

Do you use the recommended blend or a full synthetic?

• 5w30 Blend

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 5w30 Full synthetic

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Other (please state in comments)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 5w50 full synthetic

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 5w50 blend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy of mine retired out of senior performance engineering mgmt role @ Bowling Green a few years back. Said multiple times that the industry trend to lighter oils - even in high output engines - is driven by OEMs needing to *appear to be* complying with CAFE requirements.

Said also that selling EVs won't change this trend significantly, since the CAFE targets will rise faster than the positive average fuel economy bump due to EV sales.

Worst part is that his predictions were made pre-2020.
Ford is set to lay off 8THOUSAND employees by the end of the year, they are from the ICE plants, and according to them,those jobs won't be coming back as most of the EV stuff will be built offshore... nice
On top of this, the new EV F150 is over $100K and loaded range of 85 miles.
Thinner oil ain't gonna fix that.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
I wonder when the EV diggers and excavators are coming to dig up the Lithium to put and make batteries? what would their run and charging times be? Cause until this happens we still will be burning diesel and alot of it just to make little amount of lithium.
The whole EV vehicles and EV world is a good concept in coutries like europe where everything is so close to each other but deffinetly not here in Australia, you have to travel minimum of 9hrs 630Miles (1000km) from one major city to another currently.
Most of the EV vehicle do not have this kind of range, plus some of the remote areas that we go through here and road conditions are just not suitable for EV.

Just an example i have to travel 16hrs on the weekend to pick up my race car trailer from the builder and then same amount of time back to get home. The Ev truck will not have this kind of range and the stops i would have to make to charge the thing would add extra time to the total travel time.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

stsik_a4​

Agree. I biggest issue I have with the EV "Solution" is the one size fits all mentality. The greatest concentration of polutution is obviously located with population centers. The "solution" for these locations is to plug in for your commute. Average distance for their commute, under 100 miles. As you pointed out, this does not work for for folks living and working outside the cities. We will get the Bill because we are all in this together....right. Then we will also get the bill for the solution we have to have separte from the collective.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
When they first came out with "synthetic blend" I had 2 questions: "What's the blend ratio?" and "Why are you trying to charge almost as much as for full synthetic?" I never actually got a clear answer for either question...

Dino oil molecules are widely varying in size and synthetics are designed to be more consistent in size meaning the load pressure is spread far more evenly across a bearing surface and thus reduces wear... but this will actually also increase heat transfer/absorption so it will make the synthetic run slightly warmer in most cases.

Former 15+ year master mechanic (retired)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Really great info, Russ, and welcome to another Mach 1 owner. Are you running the Mach in F Street autocrossing or do you have plans for upgrades to CAMC or another Class?

Back in the day, the " blends" were for engines that were run more locally, the full syns were more for heavy abuse or highway miles. I'm sure, by now, the formula has been improved but I've run blends until a couple of years ago, now everything is full syn, even my 196K mile F150. All the stuff at Phoenix got Mobil1, not sure about Kohr, Iassume all their Ford stuff is full syn.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Really great info, Russ, and welcome to another Mach 1 owner. Are you running the Mach in F Street autocrossing or do you have plans for upgrades to CAMC or another Class?
Bill,
This one just got past it's 1k break in >.< (now on 100% synthetic) it has not even seen rain yet... added oil separators and a high flow synthetic air filter... waiting on a tuning device with a quality tune that will allow me to tweak it.

Has been a few years (wow 18 already?) since my last SCCA stuff and these cars are going to like wide open air so I am not sure on autocrossing it... Sadly I was not able to get the HP so I guess I am a M1 poser per your price list in another thread =P The 10r80s are fun though and it is pretty quick so that leans to running AutoX but they are also on the heavy side... decisions decisions...

Thinking about doing the second day at the Mach 1 Track Attack though those are FRPP setup cars.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, foot in mouth , I had a regular GT 350, so I guess I didn't own the top model either, but I should have prefaced that better. My apologies , since I bought my GT350 with the idea of modding it to where I wanted it and you possibly thought similarly? I got lucky on the handling pack front , as I bought mine used. But, if you are getting back into Autocrossing, there are many who think the auto is the way to go. I assume you are not worried about warranty since you are doing a tune, so you might want to look into the CAMC Class , where Mustangs seem to usually hold the top spots.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Well, foot in mouth , I had a regular GT 350, so I guess I didn't own the top model either, but I should have prefaced that better. My apologies , since I bought my GT350 with the idea of modding it to where I wanted it and you possibly thought similarly? I got lucky on the handling pack front , as I bought mine used. But, if you are getting back into Autocrossing, there are many who think the auto is the way to go. I assume you are not worried about warranty since you are doing a tune, so you might want to look into the CAMC Class , where Mustangs seem to usually hold the top spots.
lol I was not offended! The reality is I don't think that the 10r80's would handle actual track duty for any real length of time... That Tremic the lighter wider wheels and Cup tires makes the HP M1s far superior track cars as I said I was not able to order what I wanted (chip shortage) so I got what I could. Not to mention got a great trade in on my 15 with 99+k on it. (more than 1/2 what I originally paid)

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors