The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Brake Cooling Duct Kit now featuring Thermoid 550 degree hose!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

About 5 seconds after I read that sticker: "hey, honey!" (holding the package, well, you know where). *Pop* wife screeches. 8) She is a week past her due date, I figured I would help things move along. Unfortunately I can't say it worked, but it was inappropriately funny.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I was boxing them up in front of the TV and one pops back out at me and my wife was hysterical! She reminded me it was just like the "snake in a can" joke!...and I couldn't refuse;)

I am glad it was well received!

Bezels arrived yesterday. I too couldn't find useful hvac ducting at Home Depot for the necessary mods. Any luck on the ultimate fix Steve? The fact that it has to be oval at one end and round at the other doesn't make it very easy to fab up I'd imagine.

Are the inserts made from ABS plastic? If they are, getting a 3" ABS tube, cutting it to mate up with the insert surface, and bead welding them together might be an option. The plastic reservoirs and ducting we use at work are made like that, just out of CPVC. Very strong when done right.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the geometry to attach to is very complicated, so i have 1 bracket being made now to test fit and make any adjustments needed. i expect to receive it by next monday. I will post a pic when i get it on the bezel. if all goes well, I will have quantity to sell in about 4-5 weeks. i wish it was sooner, but the costs go up exponentially as the schedule tightens.

the next trick is cutting the bezel. it takes a very long saw to cut the fog light tube down. my band saw doesn't have enough opening for it. it takes about 10-12 inches of open blade to be able to cut it. milling it down may be an option, but holding a flexible piece of plastic without any parallel faces is impossible. i believe someone could carefully whittle the tube down, but for me to do it, it wouldn't be cost effective, so i may be offering the brackets without bezels. we will see.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
pufferfish said:
there is nothing needed for 12's. the 13's need this extra tube bracket and modified bezel arrangement.

Glad you're on this project. FRPP really screwed the '13+ owners for this part.

You should also post around that you have this in development. I'm sure some guys would wait for it instead of paying for the FRPP bezels or making their own bracket/adapter.

pufferfish said:
the next trick is cutting the bezel. it takes a very long saw to cut the fog light tube down. my band saw doesn't have enough opening for it. it takes about 10-12 inches of open blade to be able to cut it. milling it down may be an option, but holding a flexible piece of plastic without any parallel faces is impossible. i believe someone could carefully whittle the tube down, but for me to do it, it wouldn't be cost effective, so i may be offering the brackets without bezels. we will see.
My plan is to cut the fog light tube out with a Dremel. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Steve, for the adapter you're fabricating for the 2013 fog light bezels, do you need to cut off all of the fog light tube or leave some on to attach the adapter? Or am I jumping the gun on your design? :eek:

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
It doesn't need to be removed entirely. About 3/8-1/2" from the front face is fine. The bracket will bolt to the existing bezel bosses and sit just behind the cut fog light hole. I will try to snap off a pic tomorrow of what the bezel will look like after modifying.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
well, my prototype part didn't show up yesterday as expected, so i called and found out they got behind. they are trying to get it to me by the end of the week. arrg!

i took some pics to show you all what it will look like.

first, the bezel as it comes from ford:
lvtk.jpg

notice the fog light "tube" is a weird shape that tapers down. it is not a good inlet for cramming fresh air into the rotor hat.

next, what the modified bezel looks like:
47du.jpg

this is the one from ford's kit. i will not be cutting any of the locating pins or mounting tabs off as they did. if you choose to source and modify your own, you can cut just the tube or cut everything off, just as they did with the ford kit. the bracket will bolt up in either case.

finally, the mock-up out of cardboard:
vwxq.jpg

the odd shape of the bezel opening forces an oval shaped tube. i will have to play with this to see if i can get the tube to transition from oval to round. if not, the hose should still be able to clamp around the oval shape. there is some complex geometry to be able to bolt this thing to the bezel. i tried to make it as simple as possible to minimize cost. if this works without much more than welding the oval'd tube to the formed plate, I should be able to set the pricing somewhere under the backing plate DIY kit. pre-cut bezels will be an optional adder for whatever it costs for the bezels and cutting labor...no markup, just a courtesy for customers.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
HA! I knew someone would notice that! Good eye! Its just a left over tube I had lying around from the last batch of backing plates.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel