The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
hello fellow bmo'ers!

i have eluded to a new product for Blowfish Racing that promises to be epic. well, i am one step closer. i have 10 beta units nearly ready to be installed on some MT-82 Mustangs. I believe I can cure high RPM gate lockout and generally make your shifting experience much better, regardless of what aftermarket "shift-enhancing doodads" you may have already installed. I can't yet get into the specifics of what the product will be and if you sign up for this, you will be sworn to secrecy.

Here's the deal...i need a broad spectrum of users. I need them to be in the USA. I need them to install the parts alone and in a private area. I need them to sign away their life (non-disclosure agreement and release of liability). I need them to pay $110 each for some "skin in the game". These prototypes are expensive, so if they walk off without helping the cause, i need to at least make sure i am not out all of the money. Paid participants will receive the first production units for the cost of shipping only, so its a really good deal!

So, if you have shifting issues that have not been solved, email me with your story, the car and the parts on it. EMAIL ONLY PLEASE!

[email protected]

I will assemble a list as we go along to know who is in and how many are left.

1)Neema A.
2)David S.
3)Jerry T.
4)Greg W.
5)Bruce H.
6)Brandon K.
7)Chris H.
8 )Nick S.
9)Eric S.
10)Jason R.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

Usa only...too bad, that leaves me out living in Chile. But very interested!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss

Emails sent :)....Sorry...very tired and my reading comprehension seems to have dropped off a bit.

Regardless of whether I get my name on the list.....I sure hope this comes to fruition....and that it will get into the market quickly. This lock out business is for the birds!

Wayne

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

Good luck with this. I wish I could help but I think my limited mechanical expertise means I'm out.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

If you can change your brakes, you can do this ;D

Good response so far! Please keep emailing your stories. I want to get as big a pool as possible to choose from.

I have no issues with my shifting, but my buddy roadhouse has experienced 3/4 lockout a few times with MGW shifter.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I hate how the damn lockout doesn't seem to be consistent and so you are always wondering if it's going to happen.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i am overwhelmed with the response...which is great...but its going to take a bit of time to get through the email explosion. i will get back to each and every one of you before the end of next week and choose the candidates then as well. if you want to be in contention, drop an email into the proverbial bucket before wed next week!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

Email sent…biggest lockout issue I have is getting the car into 5th…It starts happening when the car gets hot on the track and I'm consistently shifting it around 7000RPM's…I rarely take it to 7500 unless I'm trying to hold a gear before corner entry. 4th gear has gotten a little tougher to get it in when rev matching and downshifting as the tranny temps rise. It never grinds but I have to force it in and it doesn't feel good doing that.

Just realized this yesterday, does anyone have sporadic issues getting into first gear, once in a blue moon I will not be able to get into first from a stop and will have to go into 2nd then back into first (assuming this lines things up).

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

happens to me all the time. i have to drag the clutch to get it to engage. this is a function of the crappy synchros, not the shifter. i wish there were aftermarket synchros available for this trans.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Yup same happens too me. Will stay tuned, would be great if you had a solution!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Mad Hatter said:
Yup same happens too me. Will stay tuned, would be great if you had a solution!

An old truck driver taught me to have the trans in the gear you will start in, before you stop. Even if you are going to out the gearbox in neutral after you stop. Works for me.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

the problem with that is once you stop, the only reason to go out of gear is to let go of the clutch while you wait. that allows half of the synchro to spin with the engine and the other stays put, so you lose your tooth alignment. if you go into gear immediately after depressing the clutch, it engages just fine. its when the clutch is depressed for a few seconds and the input shaft stops moving, that you have engagement problems.

i have heard that the synchro teeth on the MT82 have sharp corners on their leading edges. there is a theory that if the edges were rounded off a bit, shifting would get less "nibble" and the synchros would last longer.

i am about to find out how true this is. i have been assembling a full ford tool set to dissect the MT82 and rebuild one. i got the last tool ford calls out in the manual, so i hope to complete the disassembly tomorrow.

TMO Supporting Vendors