The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks Skwerl . . . I thoght maybe i messed it up but it just hand tight with the lock nut barely tight. Kinda bummed as the MGW knobe looks cool with the "Boss 302" in the sides. I'll give them a call on Monday

skwerl said:
If it's a defective part then MGW is very easy to work with. Give Julie a call and I'm confident she will get your situation resolved. Really good people there.

BlowFish made a billet/solid rear support for the OEM Shifter for a reason,those of us with the MGW dont have that option ,so I figure the harder Rubber should maximize the effect of this new Bracket. I do believe with the duel post set up and centering spring on the MGW it should out preform the OEM Shifter.

Wonderful product! Cured all of my shifting lockout problems and no more crunch when shifting from 1st to 2nd when tranny is cold. My stock shifter is awesome! No extra noise at all during normal driving. 1+++
Thank you Steve.

Pitt302 said:
BlowFish made a billet/solid rear support for the OEM Shifter for a reason,those of us with the MGW dont have that option ,so I figure the harder Rubber should maximize the effect of this new Bracket. I do believe with the duel post set up and centering spring on the MGW it should out preform the OEM Shifter.

My thinking exactly, and in my opinion, the BF/MGW combination is optimal.

-Jeff-
STOC 025

This must be becoming one of the most popular threads ever...! Still waiting on mine to arrive from CJPP, on backorder at the moment. Must say though that I'm really impressed with CJPP, they are calling me weekly to keep me updated.
Steve, I'm down in Orlando with a completely stock Boss if you need to trial anything.

skwerl

tree hugger
Dazzerboy68 said:
This must be becoming one of the most popular threads ever...! Still waiting on mine to arrive from CJPP, on backorder at the moment. Must say though that I'm really impressed with CJPP, they are calling me weekly to keep me updated.
Steve, I'm down in Orlando with a completely stock Boss if you need to trial anything.
Where in Orlando? If you're near Altamonte Springs I'll be eating dinner at the Ale House by Altamonte Mall about 6-6:30. I'll be in the GT/CS if you'd like to try out the MGW shifter and BF bracket.

skwerl said:
Where in Orlando? If you're near Altamonte Springs I'll be eating dinner at the Ale House by Altamonte Mall about 6-6:30. I'll be in the GT/CS if you'd like to try out the MGW shifter and BF bracket.

I'm east Orlando near Bithlo. Appreciate the offer but won't be able to make it, in the midst of motivating school homework...!

Steve, every time I shifted through turns 3 and 7/8 at Summit Point, I thanked you ;D

This is the best product Ive ever purchased for the car.

I really believe that if you buy the following, you're MT82 will be very reliable and consistent.
-BF bracket
-MGW
-Upgraded trans and clutch fluids
-Rev Auto's Stage 1

Absolutely enjoyed driving the car this weekend!

I still do have the slight noise from the MGW mount making contact with the rear studs, but I plan on sticking 2 vacuum caps over the studs to eliminate the metal-to-metal contact.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Mgw version 2 I think. No option on the bushing so what ever it has. I have bbr engine mounts and whiteline insert with center removed. No noise but she vibrates! All the way down and it still seems high on the inside then it did stock. Also noticed it's clocked further to the passenger side than stock. Feels weird but that's because I'm not used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the soft bushing with the track only bushing and added the left over dynamat to the entire bottom of the MGW box. It may shift a tad better (a little more solid) but the vibration is a lot less to the point that I have zero vibration in 5th and 6th gear. No noise at all and I made sure I had at least 1/4" distance from the old shifter studs plus I put rubber caps on both studs. I have about 1/8" of the support rods sticking out of the back of the rubber isolator. The shifter is still at the stock height. Very happy with the shift quality now.

Tim

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Installed mine today…I still have the stock shifter. The shifter knob buzzes like everyone says it does but I don't care about that at all. From 3-4k on acceleration it does make some noise but not because the shifter is contacting anything. Like others have talked about its something that is transmitted from the engine through the tranny or just from the transmission through the shifter. I'm not really worried about it because I can only hear it if the windows are up. I adjusted the shifter all the way down and I'm going to move it up a tad. I was afraid of contacting with the studs but there is plenty of room to move it up a little. Thanks for the fix Steve. Now I can actually shift into 5th gear on the track without having to do a 10 second shift or having to force it.

Adam

I can't get over how clean the cold 1-2 shift is now! No nibble or graunch sounds at all. Still feels like a two step process but clean and quiet now. Very pleased.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
glad y'all like it! CJPP just got a big shipment this morning, so they are fulfilling orders now! everyone on my backorder is also fulfilled as of today! woot woot!

Installed mine today. MGW shifter. I did put the vacuum caps on the factory studs in case of contact. Oh, and I removed the whiteline bracket as that has too much NVH for the street (but nice on the track) and I figured it wasn't necessary now with this bracket. I wanted to make the MGW heat shield work if possible, as alot of heat comes through the shifter area on track. I was able to notch the heat shield at the back where the bracket connects to the rear shifter support.

IMG_1379_zps2602dc4d.jpg
IMG_1380_zpsdebe7300.jpg

It should have enough play for the bracket to slide around forward/aft under loads. The heat shield fits nicely between the BF bracket and the lower shifter box and now holds the heat shield in place, yet allows it to move around nicely with the shifter.
IMG_1381_zpsff1e8bc9.jpg

All Buttoned up!
IMG_1383_zpsc59b6ef9.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Moto said:
Installed mine today. MGW shifter. I did put the vacuum caps on the factory studs in case of contact. Oh, and I removed the whiteline bracket as that has too much NVH for the street (but nice on the track) and I figured it wasn't necessary now with this bracket. I wanted to make the MGW heat shield work if possible, as alot of heat comes through the shifter area on track. I was able to notch the heat shield at the back where the bracket connects to the rear shifter support.

IMG_1379_zps2602dc4d.jpg
IMG_1380_zpsdebe7300.jpg

It should have enough play for the bracket to slide around forward/aft under loads. The heat shield fits nicely between the BF bracket and the lower shifter box and now holds the heat shield in place, yet allows it to move around nicely with the shifter.
IMG_1381_zpsff1e8bc9.jpg

All Buttoned up!
IMG_1383_zpsc59b6ef9.jpg

Good job Moto. You did the leg work for the rest of us, I knew the heat shield could be reused.
Steve

Pitt302 said:
I see you did not put the nuts on that hold heatshield to shifter,why not? Is the heat shield squeezed tightly between Shift and BlowFish Bracket?

Exactly. I could have put them back on but didn't seem necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drano38 said:
Steve,
I've got a stock shifter, and mine vibrates pretty good on hard acceleration.

Maybe the shifter ball causes the shifter lever to hit a resonant frequency at specific speeds/RPMs.
Removing the shifter ball would change that resonant frequency.
Maybe we need heavier or lighter shifter balls to get out of that frequency.
Just a thought, and flashback to Physics 101 waaay too many years ago.
Anyone tried this yet? Just the excuse I need to order a* custom one!

*must proof read...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel