The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Tow hook install(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worked on the install of both front and rear tow hook installs from Blowfish Racing.
Pretty simple with good instructions and great fit.

First the front
1) Jack up the front and place on stands. (or lift if you are lucky)

Towhooks004_zpsc43aa13d.jpg
Towhooks005_zps46037a64.jpg
2) Remove front bumper cover per directions, I have the WC splitter so remove the adjusting struts by unscrewing the the bottom post and unthread the turnbuckles from the top post. Then remove the underhood radiator cover(pushpins) and 2 8mm bolts at the grille top. 4 screws at the undertray at the rear of the splitter/bumpercover, 2 screw each side in the wheel wells, unclip from fender edge on both sides and pull forward about 4 inches and unplug temp sender and side markers.
Towhooks007_zpse4437045.jpg
3) Disconnect brakes hoses and set the nose aside on a blanket out of the way.
Towhooks008_zps0c399dec.jpg
4) Next remove existing splitter bracket, simply remove 4 nuts from back of bumper bracket bolts and push back off suds and down and out. Install Blowfish bracket onto studs and tighten nuts back on to 26 ft/lbs. If you don't already have a WC/LS splitter you will have to change the existing bumper bar bolts to the longer ones provided in the kit.
Towhooks009_zps96f1a336.jpg
5) Next bolt tow hook arm to the bracket with the 4 3/8" (9/16" socket) bolts and nuts. I used the most forward set of holes to mount, keeps the pivot point even with the edge of the lower grille opening. If you use to winch onto a trailer the hook shouldn't contact the bumper cover.
Towhooks009_zps96f1a336.jpg
6) Reinstall bumper cover, screw top spliiter brace posts back in and install turnbuckle rods. Installed the nylon washers provided between the hook arm and hook ring. Keeps the motion stiff and quiet when you fold it.
Towhooks011_zpsdd04504a.jpg
Lower the car and install this;
Towhooks013_zpseafc636a.jpg

For the rear I don't have many pics but the instructions take you through it pretty well. There is a lot of fitting of the bumper cover on and off to line up the slot and grommet cut behind the license plate. The bracket is simple to bolt up and is really a cool simple design, trimmed the bumper foam with a router so it was neat and easy, basically 4 vertical slots to clear the botls and ears at the bottom of the bracket. I am all done with the fitting and cutting but still have the cover off bto paint the lower section white as well as the rockers.

Towhooks002_zps492a9cb1.jpg

The Roush side splitters and Carbon rear splitters are getting the red treatment. Pics of this to follow.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
looks good Steve. i noticed your strut tower brace has the boss plaque with your name on it. where did you get that? i wouldn't mind having one to add to my gt-to-boss conversion too ;D

pufferfish said:
looks good Steve. i noticed your strut tower brace has the boss plaque with your name on it. where dkid you get that? i wouldn't mind having one to add to my gt-to-boss conversion too ;D
They're available from Coolride Pix in out vendor forum. I have one too.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Roadhouse said:
Nice write-up Steve! It is appealing to me that the front tow hook can be installed without modification to the font bumper.

That is why I liked it too, also you are pulling from the center of the car. The square tube bracket looks strong and is bolted to both frame stubs. I don't plan on needing them though ;D
Steve

Tulsa, OK
steveespo said:
That is why I liked it too, also you are pulling from the center of the car. The squae tube bracket looks strong and is bolted to both frame stubs. I don't plan on needing them though ;D
Steve

If you install them you'll never need them right?? Haha that's what I'm hoping for too ;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
So, bringing this back to life. I recently bought a World Challenge splitter with bracket and hardware to go on my 2011 GT. I have a Blowfish tow hook on the front bumper currently and it appears that the Blowfish mounting bracket and the splitter support rod bracket will interfere with each other. I could cut the horizontal leg of the rod bracket in the area of the hook bracket and it looks like it will fit OK bu I am concerned if that will compromise the integrity of the rod bracket. Has anyone done this particular install? The installation shown above appears to be done with a tubular bumper and a rod bracket with different geometry.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
So I was doing more searching after I posted this question and came across the installation instructions for the tow hook. It turns out that the kit comes with brackets for mounting the top of the support rods. Found the box on the shelf and, lo and behold, the brackets were there and are now mounted and waiting.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
Thank for the post and pictures. I installed these two hooks this winter too. I haven't gotten the front bumper cover to line up exactly yet- the rearward edges stick out just a little bit where they meet the fenders. Hopefully when the weather warms up I can get them in place better.

TMO Supporting Vendors