The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown 2012 Engine.Important read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
Do you think this had anything to do with the oil change you had just before this happening?
This wasn't my Boss,its a repost from the guy who posted it on the Shelby forum. All I know from this is I'm keeping a close eye on my oil. Just had mine changed yesterday at 1000.1 miles. I'm old school and just feft better about getting the 'breakin oil' out. I know Ford Says you don't need to change it till 5000 miles,but I feel better about doing it. Especially since I'm going to Mustang Week Friday for the weekend.Yeah,I my just have to get on it a few times.
Where does it say to change the oil at the first 5000 miles?
it doesnt....I looked all over the manuals.

From pg 333 (or there abouts depending on which printing you have) in the 2012 Mustang Owner's Manual:

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Miles ~ Vehicle use and examples

7500-10000 Miles
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499 Miles
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999 Miles
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

Glad to hear you are getting taken care, of sad to hear no reason besides maybe a factory defect? Spinning a bearing is from only a few things, most likely was caused by some type of oil issue. I do believe this was a serious fluke and doubt it will happen again unless there is a major flaw and that would turn into a recal whether you have aftermarket parts or not.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html just some info for people whom do put aftermarket parts on their car.

jeepinocala said:
Glad to hear you are getting taken care, of sad to hear no reason besides maybe a factory defect? Spinning a bearing is from only a few things, most likely was caused by some type of oil issue. I do believe this was a serious fluke and doubt it will happen again unless there is a major flaw and that would turn into a recal whether you have aftermarket parts or not.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html just some info for people whom do put aftermarket parts on their car.

The section at the bottom is because of Subaru and Mitsubishi, the local Mitsu dealer was the one that threw a modded Evo meet then voided the warranty on every car that showed up.

I feel your pain aand also feel the need to address this issue. I recently experienced the same noise coming from the RT. bank. I had just over 2800 miles on the car, had never been tracked or abused in any way. Had the oil changed by the dealer after the first 1000 miles. No oil burning or consumption issues. They have an increduble service department at my dealership and an very skilled tech that works on the car, and he is the only one that they allow to work on the car. He looked at it and said he thought it was coming form the #3 cylinder and that it sounded like a lifter issue, he called the Ford Hotline and a new set of lifters was sent and then replaced. Still had the same noise, another call was placed to Ford and they said that they had experienced some timing chain and tensioner issues and those were then sent out. Of course by this point I was very frustrated and had been in contact with Deysha who immediately got on the phone and had her guy on it. Chain and tensioner were changed, still had the same noise. The tech and service manager believed it is a wrist pin noise/issue. Anyway, back on the phone to Ford and a new long block was immediately sent out. Took about 4 days to be shipped and 2 days to swap it out. They did a great job with the swap and were very meticulous on making sure everything was clean in the engine bay before the install and looks just like new and runs as strong as ever.

I asked the service manager about the new block and the V.I.N. as that was a major concern. He said the blocks were no longer stamped with V.I.N.#S. I also asked if he could follow up with Ford once the engine was returnd for troubleshooting and teardown so I could find out what the real problem was and he said he would, but doubted if he or I would ever be told. He said Ford is very tight lipped about the issues they are experiencing with these engines.

I hope no one else has to go through this experience, but if you do I hope you have as good a service department and team as I do. Must also hand it to Ford, they stepped up and immediately sent a new long block without question. Good to know that they are standing behind their product. I did find one thing interesting, my service manager said the part # Ford sent was an updated part# from the previous part#, he said they generally only change part#'s when there has been a change or updates made to the original part#, interesting.

BadPony said:
I asked the service manager about the new block and the V.I.N. as that was a major concern. He said the blocks were no longer stamped with V.I.N.#S. I also asked if he could follow up with Ford once the engine was returnd for troubleshooting and teardown so I could find out what the real problem was and he said he would, but doubted if he or I would ever be told. He said Ford is very tight lipped about the issues they are experiencing with these engines.
Thanks for clearing up the block numbers and for sharing your experience. There's been a half dozen engines replaced that I've read about but I've never seen an explanation of what happened.

BadPony said:
I did find one thing interesting, my service manager said the part # Ford sent was an updated part# from the previous part#, he said they generally only change part#'s when there has been a change or updates made to the original part#, interesting.
That's very interesting indeed.

The section at the bottom is because of Subaru and Mitsubishi, the local Mitsu dealer was the one that threw a modded Evo meet then voided the warranty on every car that showed up.

[/quote]

It is one of those deals if you are going to play expect to pay and youll be fine. There are a ton of cars out there modded way beyond what the average person would even think and they do fine, but there are those few and who knows why they are. I broke my car in easy durring the first 4000 miles only getting on it hard betwenn 3000 and 4000 mile mark then had the oil changed and am fixing to have it changed again at 8000 miles have had zero problems. you just never know. But I did not buy this car to worrie of a warranty or I would have bought a taurus ;D

I did find one thing interesting, my service manager said the part # Ford sent was an updated part# from the previous part#, he said they generally only change part#'s when there has been a change or updates made to the original part#, interesting.

[/quote]

Now that is interesting.

BadPony, do you have a direct contact number for Deysha? I have sent her messages on the other forum including pictures and have not gotten any response.

5 DOT 0 said:
BadPony said:
That's very interesting indeed.
But not at all uncommon. They make "running changes" all the time. If there are parts that are having consistent quality issues, they are re-engineered and an updated part starts going in the new cars coming down the line. Then any cars with the old part that fail get the new part when it's replaced. Every time I'm in for a warranty repair my service manager will tell me if the tech found an updated part #. I'm always glad to hear when there is since it means my chances of the part not failing again are greater.

Would like to know if there is a part number change for sure. I have read there is not a part number change between the 2012 and 2013 Bosses but rather the gt's.

jeepinocala said:
Would like to know if there is a part number change for sure. I have read there is not a part number change between the 2012 and 2013 Bosses but rather the gt's.

Answered my own question = No the part number has not changed and you may want to double check to make sure they are not putting a bottom end from the gt cause that is the engine block that has changed.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12865

The part # you referenced is for a complete crate motor. The part # that was ordered for my Boss was just the long block part#. I was there when they opened the crate, it had an ID tag from the factory that identified it specifically as a Long Block Boss 302. The price tag on the Long Block was $13,999 which I found a bit odd as well, as it cost more than a complete crate motor. I also checked with parts department when they originally ordered the long block just to make sure everything was straight and to make sure a regular 5.0 was not ordered and they showed me the computer program that used to order parts. It is V.I.N specific and will not allow you to order the incorrect part for the assigned V.I.N.

One of the replies from a long-time and very good friend of mine on TS states that he talked with one of the Ford Engineers who attended the 50th Anniv Shelby BASH in March about the oil consumption issues, etc. And his reply was that due to a "design problem" with the 2012 BOSS heads, they were lifting & warping near the #3 and #5 cylinders... There was also a reply from another member who heard similar issues with the #5 cylinder when he was attending an event out in Carlisle, PA in June...

Which makes a lot more sense to me than simply spinning a rod bearing... Especially since there were tick marks from the valves on the top of the #3 piston...

He also stated that the problem had been identified and changed for the 2013 BOSS 302 Engines... Hence the possibility of the Part # changing as well...

EDIT = After taking a look at FordPats.com it appears that there are 3 different replacement engines for the 2012 Model Year... One for cars built before 2/26/2011, one for cars built between 2/27/2011 & 12/11/2011, and one for cars built after 12/12/2011... So something must have changed along the way for there to be 3 distinct cut-off points???

Which is maybe (just maybe) why Ford has already shipped out a replacement Long Block to the Dealer... When they heard it was the #3 Cylinder that had issues, there was no further reason to tear off the Oil Pan looking for problems with the Bottom End... Just speculation on my part, as I doubt I will ever know the real cause, nor will I get to keep the broken parts as "momentos" for my Man Cave...

But it will be interesting to see if failures like this in the future are covered under the 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain portion of the Factory Warranty vs the 3-year/36,000-mile TracKey Warranty... Especially if it happens to an owner who never purchased the TK and left their car 100% Stock...

07SGT0547 said:
One of the replies from a long-time and very good friend of mine on TS states that he talked with one of the Ford Engineers who attended the 50th Anniv Shelby BASH in March about the oil consumption issues, etc. And his reply was that due to a "design problem" with the 2012 BOSS heads, they were lifting & warping near the #3 and #5 cylinders... There was also a reply from another member who heard similar issues with the #5 cylinder when he was attending an event out in Carlisle, PA in June...

Which makes a lot more sense to me than simply spinning a rod bearing... Especially since there were tick marks from the valves on the top of the #3 piston...

He also stated that the problem had been identified and changed for the 2013 BOSS 302 Engines... Hence the possibility of the Part # changing as well...

EDIT = After taking a look at FordPats.com it appears that there are 3 different replacement engines for the 2012 Model Year... One for cars built before 2/26/2011, one for cars built between 2/27/2011 & 12/11/2011, and one for cars built after 12/12/2011... So something must have changed along the way for there to be 3 distinct cut-off points???

Which is maybe (just maybe) why Ford has already shipped out a replacement Long Block to the Dealer... When they heard it was the #3 Cylinder that had issues, there was no further reason to tear off the Oil Pan looking for problems with the Bottom End... Just speculation on my part, as I doubt I will ever know the real cause, nor will I get to keep the broken parts as "momentos" for my Man Cave...

But it will be interesting to see if failures like this in the future are covered under the 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain portion of the Factory Warranty vs the 3-year/36,000-mile TracKey Warranty... Especially if it happens to an owner who never purchased the TK and left their car 100% Stock...
Yikes I have a 2/28/11 build date. Hopefully it's not "just a matter of time"

cloud9 said:
07SGT0547 said:

Yikes I have a 2/28/11 build date. Hopefully it's not "just a matter of time"

Who knows the reasons for the changes... Could be the Pre-Production cars, then the 2012 Model Run and then the switch to the 2013's... As long as it gets fixed, I'll be a happy camper...

BLAZN BOSS

07SGT0547 said:
Justin said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
Do you think this had anything to do with the oil change you had just before this happening?
This wasn't my Boss,its a repost from the guy who posted it on the Shelby forum. All I know from this is I'm keeping a close eye on my oil. Just had mine changed yesterday at 1000.1 miles. I'm old school and just feft better about getting the 'breakin oil' out. I know Ford Says you don't need to change it till 5000 miles,but I feel better about doing it. Especially since I'm going to Mustang Week Friday for the weekend.Yeah,I my just have to get on it a few times.
Where does it say to change the oil at the first 5000 miles?
it doesnt....I looked all over the manuals.

From pg 333 (or there abouts depending on which printing you have) in the 2012 Mustang Owner's Manual:

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Miles ~ Vehicle use and examples

7500-10000 Miles
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499 Miles
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999 Miles
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation
Basically still waiting for the oil change warning........The computer evaluates the driveing style ie, hard constant RPM's etc. mine is at 10% life and its 6500 miles .......have an appointment to get it changed this friday morning.

TMO Supporting Vendors