The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown 2012 Engine.Important read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My money is on Ford. No reason why your new motor won't be 100 % like mine or the large majority of Boss owners. Be optimistic!

PeteInCT said:
My money is on Ford. No reason why your new motor won't be 100 like mine or the large majority of Boss owners. Be optimistic!
I agree. Every time I break mine they put it together as good as new and sometimes even better ;D

RmqIDVh0nFwAFP-lZ5nW710YcHO3k2ZZXgiw3sGKfsguXo5YPQ.jpg

I'm not too worried about how it will "look" or how long it will "last" quite frankly... A fellow "Track Rat" has a KB 2012 Boss, so I can compare his to mine and make any changes necessary to bring it back to OEM appearance... And if something goes wrong with this engine, I've still got up to 5 years & 60,000 miles for it to happen...

Remember, the TK warranty (3/36) only applies if the failure can be attributed to the actual TK software... So it would apply that any other factory "defect" in workmanship or materials is not a function of which key is physically in the ignition... A "spun rod bearing" has no clue which key you are using ???

And FWIW, Ford told the Servicing Dealer NOT to take the old engine out before the new one arrived at their shop... That way, when an accessory or other transferable part is taken off, it can immediately be installed on the new engine... So while there is always that chance of things getting royally F'd up, I really don't think they want to replace any more $12,000 Long Blocks under warranty than they really have to...

But time will tell and having already spoken with my Local Dealership about any future "issues", I'm quite sure that if there are any major problems, they will be handled in a manner similar to this one :)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
07SGT0547 said:
I'm not too worried about how it will "look" or how long it will "last" quite frankly... A fellow "Track Rat" has a KB 2012 Boss, so I can compare his to mine and make any changes necessary to bring it back to OEM appearance... And if something goes wrong with this engine, I've still got up to 5 years & 60,000 miles for it to happen...

Remember, the TK warranty (3/36) only applies if the failure can be attributed to the actual TK software... So it would apply that any other factory "defect" in workmanship or materials is not a function of which key is physically in the ignition... A "spun rod bearing" has no clue which key you are using ???

And FWIW, Ford told the Servicing Dealer NOT to take the old engine out before the new one arrived at their shop... That way, when an accessory or other transferable part is taken off, it can immediately be installed on the new engine... So while there is always that chance of things getting royally F'd up, I really don't think they want to replace any more $12,000 Long Blocks under warranty than they really have to...

But time will tell and having already spoken with my Local Dealership about any future "issues", I'm quite sure that if there are any major problems, they will be handled in a manner similar to this one :)
Good call Rick !

Hey all of you saying good luck -- do you really think Ford is going to send a motor to someone whom cant do the job? I know all the service people suck in your eye's but they are not going to let their crappy service guy do this job, that would cost them way to much and besides how many Bosses have you seen blown? What two? And why did they blow ??? I feel I have a good service deptment me knowing they will do a good job and them knowing if they dont I am going to let them know they suck ;D I would feel 100% confident, just tell them - hey I am first going to see how fast it goes wide open ;D That will make them tighten the bolts up.

jeepinocala, I have had my car in 4 times for the leaking caliper so that should be an indication of how the local dealers are. I also had BMW forget to tighten down the heads properly when they did some work on my X5, and the motor popped on the way home. That kind of stuff does happens. My friend had a truck that had the motor replaced 3 times in the first year, and it was a garage queen.

CaliMR said:
jeepinocala, I have had my car in 4 times for the leaking caliper so that should be an indication of how the local dealers are. I also had BMW forget to tighten down the heads properly when they did some work on my X5, and the motor popped on the way home. That kind of stuff does happens. My friend had a truck that had the motor replaced 3 times in the first year, and it was a garage queen.

Ok so the bmw thing yeah thats what I would expect but maybe someone at the Ford dealer does not like you ;D Hey this guy has been through enough with the motor he doesnt need to hear a bunch of negative stuff about his car and the fact is maybe Ford will make sure he gets a damn good motor tested even better then ours to make sure he is happy who knows.

jeepinocala,

Seriously? An engine swap is a big job and some do it better than others. And I'm fairly certain that Ford doesn't discriminate on service dealers or hold phone interviews with potential service mechanics. Where the car is, is where the engine goes. YMMV. So, during the conversation about it no one is supposed to say that it would make them nervous and wish the guy good luck? Should we say, "Hooray, your motor blew, now you get a new one!"? After all, that IS looking on the bright side.

Just to be clear, I personally have no concerns about the engine itself. When I mentioned that my dealer installed crate motor blew up I was just illustrating that bad things DO happen. However, as I said before, the installation itself would make me nervous. I'd drive around for the next year listening, and inevitably imagining, that I heard something ominous in every little tick. And although I'm sure everyone is gonna say different, but my bet is that most would do the same.

Anyway, I DO wish him the best of luck, skill or whatever else is required.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I vote to close thus one Rick. We'll get an update from the owner of this Boss when he's happy and back on the road.

Being one of the 2 Boss owners on this thread that had their motor replaced under warranty I must defend my dealership and their service team and the tech that performed the engine change. They kept me informed throughout the entire process while they were working with Ford, they were very meticulous while performing the engine change and they have followed up to make sure that I am totally satisfied with their work and with the performance of the car post engine change. The car runs stronger than ever and I could not be happier up to this point. I am confident that if any other issues arise that they and Ford will take care of it. I hope that if anyone else has to go through this experience that their dealership and service team will provide the same level of service that I have received.

And I'm the other one... Expecting a call from the Dealer "sometime" this afternoon for a status update... And knowing that they have kept my BOSS inside the Service Dept this whole time (just over 2 weeks) leads me to believe that they will approach all the other aspects of changing out a complete crate engine with the same care and concern for getting it right the first time...

EDIT = ETA is Tuesday (July 31st) at 4pm... Dealer will call if ready to pick up earlier...

IIRC, your motor didn't "blow" though, right? You had a noise, the dealer tried fixing it first by replacing the lifters, then the timing chain tensioner, and when that didn't resolve the noise Ford sent you a new long block. So there really was only one blown engine that we know of.

BadPony said:
Being one of the 2 Boss owners on this thread that had their motor replaced under warranty I must defend my dealership and their service team and the tech that performed the engine change. They kept me informed throughout the entire process while they were working with Ford, they were very meticulous while performing the engine change and they have followed up to make sure that I am totally satisfied with their work and with the performance of the car post engine change. The car runs stronger than ever and I could not be happier up to this point. I am confident that if any other issues arise that they and Ford will take care of it. I hope that if anyone else has to go through this experience that their dealership and service team will provide the same level of service that I have received.

And I wouldn't consider mine as having "blown up" either :eek: As there was nothing worth taking a picture of besides the dipstick still at the FULL mark and the coolant recovery tank at the LOW mark after the engine overheated...

Engine still started and would stay running, albeit with an annoying little "tick, tick, tick" sound ???

Mine happened at the Track... But didn't actually overheat until after the engine seized and I hqd coasted off to the side of the trqck... Was running in the mid 230's when it failed... Torque app on my phone showed a max of 265 degrees while we were sitting waiting for the tow back to the parking area...

Brought the BOSS back home tonight... Almost perfect, except for numerous P0300, P0304 and a couple of P0307 Codes during the 75-mile drive... Guessing it just needs to have the Crankshaft Re-Learn Procedure done again... Will check all the connections at the coil packs in the AM when everything has cooled down... Otherwise (knock on wood) I couldn't be more pleased with FORD and the entire process...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Fyi - we usually don't see those codes unless we are pushing the engine hard at the track. Probably not a major problem but I'd keep an eye on that.

TMO Supporting Vendors