The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown 2012 Engine.Important read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
07SGT0547 said:
Brought the BOSS back home tonight... Almost perfect, except for numerous P0300, P0304 and a couple of P0307 Codes during the 75-mile drive... Guessing it just needs to have the Crankshaft Re-Learn Procedure done again... Will check all the connections at the coil packs in the AM when everything has cooled down... Otherwise (knock on wood) I couldn't be more pleased with FORD and the entire process...
makes me wonder if they timed the chains correctly?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Justin said:
07SGT0547 said:
Brought the BOSS back home tonight... Almost perfect, except for numerous P0300, P0304 and a couple of P0307 Codes during the 75-mile drive... Guessing it just needs to have the Crankshaft Re-Learn Procedure done again... Will check all the connections at the coil packs in the AM when everything has cooled down... Otherwise (knock on wood) I couldn't be more pleased with FORD and the entire process...

Makes me wonder if they cleared the codes from the last track day.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TMSBOSS said:
Justin said:
07SGT0547 said:

Makes me wonder if they cleared the codes from the last track day.
I would think as they would have had to disconnect the battery for more than 20 mins to do the motor swap

No codes in the PCM when engine failed... Battery was disconnected for hours during the engine swap... Easy to replicate P0304 code at approx 4,000 RPM this AM on the way to local Ford Dealer...

Gave them the TracKey Install instructions highlighting the symptoms and the Crankshaft Re-Learn recommendation... They did the original TK programming and never had a Misfire until after the engine swap...

07SGT0547 said:
No codes in the PCM when engine failed... Battery was disconnected for hours during the engine swap... Easy to replicate P0304 code at approx 4,000 RPM this AM on the way to local Ford Dealer...

Gave them the TracKey Install instructions highlighting the symptoms and the Crankshaft Re-Learn recommendation... They did the original TK programming and never had a Misfire until after the engine swap...
Hopefully that fixes it, but like Pete said everyone that I know, or who have reported it on a forum, experienced the random misfire issue on track.....other than zzyzx.

cloud9 said:
07SGT0547 said:

Hopefully that fixes it, but like Pete said everyone that I know, or who have reported it on a forum, experienced the random misfire issue on track.....other than zzyzx.

So far so good... No more codes with either Key... Will be a month or two before I get enough "break-in" miles on the new Engine before I get it back to the Track...

zzyzx

Steve
Could you tell us what the dealer did in your case? Did they confirm they did the crankshaft re-learn procedure? Just curious as mine is going in next Tuesday and I plan to write-up what others have had done to resolve the issue.

zzyzx said:
Could you tell us what the dealer did in your case? Did they confirm they did the crankshaft re-learn procedure? Just curious as mine is going in next Tuesday and I plan to write-up what others have had done to resolve the issue.

That was all they did... And I specifically asked the Tech if he went thru the whole TracKey re-install process and he said "NO"...

Although it isn't called the "Crankshaft Re-Learn Procedure" on their diagnostic laptop computer, there is a specific menu item that addresses this particular issue...

And if your servicing dealer is having issues or not familiar with this problem, have them give mine a call (Louisburg Ford in Kansas ~ (877) 901-4311 and ask for "Johnny" in the Service Dept... Other than the one 2012 Black LS they ordered for Hennessy in TX, mine is the ONLY other BOSS 302 they have seen or worked on, to my knowledge... Good Luck!

I confirmed that one of the other engines that had been replaced broke a timing chain and basically destroyed the engine. So it was not related to the #3 cylinder issue.

Maybe he can post here to see all of the details? There really has not been alot of problems with the Bosses being how many they made and it does look kinda like the first ones that rooled out maybe had a few extra problems but who knows why and wonder how many gt500's motors blown?

Sesshomurai

Will the random misfire generate a check engine light/code? Sorry if its an obvious question.
If so, what is the remedy?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
It it happens more than the Max unreported threshold it will. The reasons can be varied. The solutions vary based on reasons. There is no straightforward answer here.

I find it odd that there would be any severe failures. Didn't ford run this (almost) exact motor in grand am or something for an entire season, with multiple cars with zero failures. That's 100% track duty.

4000 12s sold, how many blown motors? About 10? That is 1/4 of a percent. And on a car that probably has a higher percent of owners tracking them at least occasionally than most other cars. They appear to be standing behind the motor 100%, and not playing the owner abuse card which many brands will do. I don't know what the numbers are for other cars, but that doesn't seem too bad for a 1st year of the new heads.

Track cars are also very closely monitored, so they might have caught issues before they came up, and the pre-production ones were probably hand built using hand picked parts.

Were there failures before the new restrictor? I saw an article that there were a few failures since then. But I still think it is not too bad a %

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel