The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown 2012 Engine.Important read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I'm still on Shelbys forum,since I traded my gt500. I check it out about once a week.This was just posted and thought everyone should read it. At an Open Track Event last week (Heartland Park Topeka) coming out of a 90* slow & tight 2nd Gear Turn...
Lost power as I up-shifted into 3rd...
Engine coughed and sputtered for a about a 1/2 mile as I limped down the back straight...
Finally shut down completely before I could exit the track...
Luckily it was a downhill grade so we coasted it into a safe turn off area...

Once it was off the track, engine then overheated and spewed coolant out the overflow tank cap for approx 5 mins...
Thinking it was just in "limp mode" we let it cool off, but the engine wouldn't crank up again...
Battery just fine, but something was binding in the drivetrain and it wouldn't turn over...
Fellow GT500 owner suggested pumping the clutch pedal (???) and it somehow freed up the engine just enough to crank it over and start...
Heard a constant knocking coming from the RH side of the block that followed the engine RPM's so we shut it down immediately and called Roadside Assistance for a tow to the nearest Ford Dealer...
Tow truck driver showed up with a shiny, well maintained Roll-Back flatbed truck and took his time getting everything hooked up without doing any damage to the front splitter or any of the suspension where he tied down the car for the 15-min trip to the Ford Garage...

I had already called the Service Dept before the tow, but we dropped off the car after they closed for the night...
I went back that next morning when they opened and waited for the "good news"...
Initial indications were that #3 cylinder was showing slightly lower compression than the other 7...
And after pulling the #3 spark plug and using a scope-type camera, the Engine Tech was able to see where the valves had been hitting the top of the piston itself...
Which he then compared against #1 cylinder which had absolutely no marks on the top of the piston...

Service writer said he talked to Ford on Friday and I just heard back today (Monday) that a NEW engine had already been ordered and should arrive at the Dealership by the end of this week...
And YES it is ALL covered under Factory Drivetrain Warranty...
The car was Delivered to the Dealer in early December and purchased in mid-April with 36 miles on the ODO and had just over 3,750 miles on it when it failed...
TracKey was installed one week after initial purchase by my local dealership...
1st oil change & 27-point Inspection was done by same dealership just 2 days before the failure occurring at the track...
Was using the RED KEY and had topped off with 100 Octane Unleaded Race Fuel that morning right after I went thru Tech Inspection...
Had about 1/4 tank of fuel left in the tank when the bearing spun...

I did buy this particular BOSS out of state and drove it home about 550 miles the same day I picked it up...
First leg was 300 miles to get the Clear Bra installed and then it was 250 miles back home to my garage...
Read all about the 100 miles before WOT and 1,000 miles before any Track Use in the Owner's Manual before I even drove it off the lot...
Varied the highway cruising speeds between 65-80 MPH, never used the Cruise Control and randomly selected 4th, 5th & 6th gears at the different speeds to vary the engine RPM's accordingly...
Average MPG for the entire trip was 23 when I pulled into my driveway...
And the oil level that next morning was about 1/2-way between the 2 hash marks on the dipstick, so I just left it go and used it as a reference point to start watching oil consumption...

Bought the CoolTech sound tube delete kit, just so I could get easy access to the dipstick and checked the oil on a weekly basis...
Ended up putting in another 2 full quarts over the next 3 months and 3,000 miles...
Which I reluctantly attributed to the "break-in" period for this particular engine...
But I did go to my Ford Dealer last month to start having it documented, just in case there was a problem in the future...

Fast forward a month and I decided it was now time to get the Factory oil changed...
Made sure the dealer put in 8.5 qts of 5W-50 Full Synthetic and checked it as being FULL before I left the Service Drive...
They even gave me the remaining 1/2 quart and told me to let them know the date and the mileage if I had to top it back off...

At Tech Inspection @ the Track 2 days later, the oil level hadn't budged from the FULL mark...
And then I ran three full 20-min sessions without any issues prior to the failure occurring...
Outside temps were in the low 90's, but were creeping up as the afternoon went on...
Using a Bluetooth OBD Transmitter and the Torque App on my Smartphone, I was watching the Engine Coolant Temps the entire day...
After the engine warmup and a "pace" lap under Yellow, the temps would start out at around 195* and gradually peak around 235* at the end of each session...
Never once did I see anything above 240* nor did it ever lose power or go into "limp mode"...
Between sessions, I raised the hood and let the engine cool down for the remaining 40 mins in between runs...
Each successive session would start out around 200*...
I do have the modified 302S grill installed to help with the engine cooling...
And before each session, I would double-check the oil to make sure it was always at the FULL mark...
Which it was all day long, and still is even after the spun bearing/engine seizure and sitting for the night at the dealership...

So while I was hesitant to post the details, for the obvious reasons, I wanted to share this with every BOSS 302 owner who reads this Forum...
And not to BASH anyone or find fault in anything that lead up to the failure... But to use this as a Learning Experience for EVERYONE...
And to show that FORD will stand by its product while a customer was driving it like they advertised...
At speed, On a 2.1 mile Road Course, Using the Red Key, Setting up the car based on all the recommended procedures in the Owner's Supplemental Manual and keeping track of the Oil levels and Coolant Temps...

And while I will follow this along and try to answer any and all technical questions that I can, as well as keep fellow owners updated as this engine swap takes place...
I will not get into ANY arguments or even respond to any posts that question why I waited to 3,600 miles before I changed the oil... As it doesn't really matter, and everyone's driving situation differs...
Nor will I even bother with comments about my driving/shifting abilities out on the track, as I have plenty of in-car videos (some with Eng Data displayed) and passenger ride-alongs for validation...
But for the Record, NO the engine was NOT over-revved to 8-9,000 RPM's, nor did I miss any shifts all day long as I had recently replaced the stock shifter with the complete MGW setup (highly recommended if you Track your car)... I try to use 7,000 RPM's for the upshifts, so it doesn't bounce off the Rev Limiter... And I look for between 4-5,000 RPM's when I downshift going into a turn...

The point is, a mechanical failure occurred involving a random production part that finally showed its weakness under the additional stresses of putting this particular BOSS 302 Engine thru its paces out on the track on a beautiful summer day... And FORD is doing its part by honoring the factory warranty and covering the complete engine replacement from start to finish... I'm just glad it didn't fail at 36,001 miles... And for those of you who are experiencing any kind of excessive oil consumption, PLEASE take it in and at least have the Service Dept document the date and the mileage... Otherwise, just like with an aftermarket tune or any of the other engine "mods" that Ford has listed in the TSB for the 5.0 as potential non-warranty reasons, you might not be as lucky as I was...
everyone here should read it

I want to thank you for the detailed description on what happen to your Boss and how Ford backed you 100%!!!! This gives me a great feeling of comfort to know that "IF" I were to be in a similar situation, I am hopefully covered like you were! Outstanding and informative post!!!

Ben

That's great info. Thanks for the post. I want to make some power upgrades to my car but when I read something like that, I think it's best to wait a few years. I wonder what Ford would have said if the car had an after market tune?

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
jeepinocala said:
Do you think this had anything to do with the oil change you had just before this happening?
This wasn't my Boss,its a repost from the guy who posted it on the Shelby forum. All I know from this is I'm keeping a close eye on my oil. Just had mine changed yesterday at 1000.1 miles. I'm old school and just feft better about getting the 'breakin oil' out. I know Ford Says you don't need to change it till 5000 miles,but I feel better about doing it. Especially since I'm going to Mustang Week Friday for the weekend.Yeah,I my just have to get on it a few times.

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
Thank you for reposting. I purchased my 2012 LS from the local dealer he took the car to and I have nothing but high praise for them. Mine was their only LS allocation and their first TracKey install and they went above and beyond on all their service. It is good to know that there are also good and reparable dealers out there.

fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
Do you think this had anything to do with the oil change you had just before this happening?
This wasn't my Boss,its a repost from the guy who posted it on the Shelby forum. All I know from this is I'm keeping a close eye on my oil. Just had mine changed yesterday at 1000.1 miles. I'm old school and just feft better about getting the 'breakin oil' out. I know Ford Says you don't need to change it till 5000 miles,but I feel better about doing it. Especially since I'm going to Mustang Week Friday for the weekend.Yeah,I my just have to get on it a few times.
Thanks for posting. Do you have a link to the thread?

1st oil change & 27-point Inspection was done by same dealership just 2 days before the failure occurring at the track...

This is why I asked if the oil change had anything to do with it. Wish whom ever wrote this up would get on our forum to discuss this more.

seca954 said:
That's great info. Thanks for the post. I want to make some power upgrades to my car but when I read something like that, I think it's best to wait a few years. I wonder what Ford would have said if the car had an after market tune?

That was my BOSS 302... And quite honestly, I doubt the recent oil change had anything to do with the actual bearing failure... Probably a defect from the factory...

But besides the obvious discussion between me, the Eng Tech, the Service Writer and the Shop's Foreman about what happened and when & where it occurred, the only "gotcha" was if I had installed an Aftermarket Tune instead of the FRPP TracKey Tune...

So take it for what it is worth, but I'm guessing that if the PCM had showed anything other than the approved TK software being installed, this would be costing me a large sum of $$$ instead of it being covered under warranty...

Which is why I posted this on TS and the "other" BOSS 302 Forum, hoping people will learn and understand the risks involved, rather than pointing out anyone's mistakes or getting into arguments involving people's opinions and what they "think" is right...

So feel free to ask anything you want... I'll be happy to help...

EDIT = http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76234-another-engine-failure/

jeepinocala said:

This is why I asked if the oil change had anything to do with it. Wish whom ever wrote this up would get on our forum to discuss this more.

There are actually 3 dealerships involved...

Selling Dealership = 450 miles away and have never taken it back due to the distance involved.
Local Dealership = 2 miles from my house, where the BOSS was serviced 2 days prior to the failure.
Repair Dealership = 75 miles from my house, but the closest one to have it towed from the track.

Other than stopping in the Repair Dealership 3 years ago with a friend to get a TPMS band re-installed, I had never been there before.
But since they were local to the track, I called them right before I called Roadside Assistance to make sure they were willing to take my car in.
Had to drop it off after they closed, but as I stated, I went back that next morning so we could discuss the options in person, with the engine right there.

No games, no gimmicks, no gotchas on either side of the equation and I couldn't be more pleased (so far)...
Although it will take a week or so for the Long Block to arrive at the Dealership, they have kept the car inside the whole time...
Even though they can't start tearing out the old engine, until the replacement one arrives, my BOSS is occupying one of the service bays for now...

What more could a person ask for???

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks for joining the conversation and welcome to BMO. I hope your repair goes quickly.

This is not the first engine to fail and I'm curious when Ford replaces the long block do the serial numbers no longer match?

Not sure if there is an actual VIN stamped on the BOSS Engine Block or not???

However, the replacement engine comes without the Intake...

So the BOSS # plate with VIN is simply transferred from the old engine to the new one along with all the other accessories...

And not bad for my 1st Post on your forum...

07SGT0547 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks for joining the conversation and welcome to BMO. I hope your repair goes quickly.

This is not the first engine to fail and I'm curious when Ford replaces the long block do the serial numbers no longer match?

Not sure if there is an actual VIN stamped on the BOSS Engine Block or not???

However, the replacement engine comes without the Intake...

So the BOSS # plate with VIN is simply transferred from the old engine to the new one along with all the other accessories...

And not bad for my 1st Post on your forum...
Heck of a first post ;) +1 on the welcome. I posted in your thread over at TS about how good Ford is about standing behind their product. It's another reason why I only buy Fords for my business.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
07SGT0547 said:
seca954 said:

That was my BOSS 302... And quite honestly, I doubt the recent oil change had anything to do with the actual bearing failure... Probably a defect from the factory...

But besides the obvious discussion between me, the Eng Tech, the Service Writer and the Shop's Foreman about what happened and when & where it occurred, the only "gotcha" was if I had installed an Aftermarket Tune instead of the FRPP TracKey Tune...

So take it for what it is worth, but I'm guessing that if the PCM had showed anything other than the approved TK software being installed, this would be costing me a large sum of $$$ instead of it being covered under warranty...

Which is why I posted this on TS and the "other" BOSS 302 Forum, hoping people will learn and understand the risks involved, rather than pointing out anyone's mistakes or getting into arguments involving people's opinions and what they "think" is right...

EDIT = http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76234-another-engine-failure/
Thanks for coming to this forum. It was me that posted your topic from Shelbys forum. I didn't think you would mind me posting it here for these guys to read. It is a very informative post. And hope you get your Boss running soon.

fbbob96 said:
07SGT0547 said:
seca954 said:

Thanks for coming to this forum. It was me that posted your topic from Shelbys forum. I didn't think you would mind me posting it here for these guys to read. It is a very informative post. And hope you get your Boss running soon.

No worries... That's why I went ahead and posted up what happened... Just had to wait until I heard from the Dealer as to which direction the warranty process was heading... Hopefully, the Long Block will arrive by the end of the week and teardown will take place next week... Service Writer was optimistic that they'd have the engine replaced and the car back in my garage by the end of July...

BLAZN BOSS

fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
Where does it say to change the oil at the first 5000 miles?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BLAZN BOSS said:
fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
it doesnt....I looked all over the manuals.

BLAZN BOSS

Justin said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
fbbob96 said:
jeepinocala said:
it doesnt....I looked all over the manuals.
:)

TMO Supporting Vendors