The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown Rear Axle Seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had my car up on lift today just going over everything and getting ready for first spring track day. I notice rear diff fluid all over inside of right rear wheel and it's leaking pretty bad. Anyone else experience a blown axle seal??

I'm sure you're not the first but this is not a common problem. Your dealer should fix it with no questions asked. Good luck with the repair.

thanks to all and dealer replaced seal under warranty with no questions asked. Also had installed a JLT rear diff expansion tank. Unfortunately I was hoping to do my first track day of the season today but woke up to 35 degrees and snowing here in Chicago. Will this winter ever end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I've never seen any aftermarket seal solutions for the rear axle. The OEM seals are pretty good, but as most of the track rats have found out, heat will kill them pretty quickly.

Thanks guys. It's being replaced this afternoon under powertrain warranty. Kudos to Ford and part of the reason why the other 12 vehicles I own are blue oval and get serviced at my dealer.

steveespo said:
#differentialcooler

Not so sure it is the temp of the oil creating the seal failure or the temps of the brake rotors, although the hot oil can't help. I did not look at the failed seal the first time, but I am going to ask to see the failed seal this time.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
06mach1 said:
Not so sure it is the temp of the oil creating the seal failure or the temps of the brake rotors, although the hot oil can't help. I did not look at the failed seal the first time, but I am going to ask to see the failed seal this time.

Cooler oil will keep hot bearings and seals cool and prevent brake heat from creating weepers. I also want to setup ducting for the rear brakes. Contrary to popular belief the rear brakes do a fair amount of work.

steveespo said:
Cooler oil will keep hot bearings and seals cool and prevent brake heat from creating weepers. I also want to setup ducting for the rear brakes. Contrary to popular belief the rear brakes do a fair amount of work.

The rear brakes do even more work with the increased rear bias on the 302S ABS module. I cooked the rear caliper seals after 3 track days.......

TMO Supporting Vendors