The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bluetooth smartphone gauges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
Has anyone bought, made or used sensors with a bluetooth module and gauges that display on a smartphone in realtime?
I read somewhere this was done. Wasn't sure if its a product or a hack.

Advice appreciated!

D

jec246

My friend has this for his 2004 GTO. He let me use the Bluetooth OBDII connector and we just used his tablet running torque. I didn't get to really mess around with it for too long. Has a lot of options. I will be getting this and mounting my tablet somewhere. the only problem with it that I could see was the location of the OBDII plug and the adapter. It sticks out far enough to hit with your knee. Not sure if it's like that in the 2013s. You'd have to get an extension cable for it and mount it somewhere out of the way.

(I'm sure they have it for the iPhone too) Torque app:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo[/youtube]

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I like the concept.

Problem may be havng two to six gauges in such a small space.

How will you read this? Mount is a usable place?

I would be interested. The idea is appealing.

How do we make it work for "Spirited Driving" ::)

Sesshomurai

Ordered the Garmin to try out.

And I suspect with these you can configure the gauge output in various ways for readability, etc.

TMSBOSS said:
I like the concept.

Problem may be havng two to six gauges in such a small space.

How will you read this? Mount is a usable place?

I would be interested. The idea is appealing.

How do we make it work for "Spirited Driving" ::)

I have TORQUE for my Galaxy S II phone and it works great... Especially for the $$$...

Use a suction cup mount to place it in the front lower windshield...

BT enabled OBD sensor plugs in, right above left shin... Can get in the way, but if you are aware of it, then no problem...

Screens can have between 1 and 6 different gauges displayed at one time...

Gauges can be configured numerous ways (Round Dial, Half-Round Dial, Numbers only, Dial & Nimbers, etc)...

As well as 3-4 different sizes, depending on how big you want them to be...

Spent $20 for OBD, $5 for the APP and $25 for the Mount... Best $50 I have ever spent on a car...

Interesting discussion. I use and Aeroforce gauge plugged into my OBD connector. If you want to run more than one device you can use a splitter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TMCX72/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A1C2436WDJ39HA

Here is a one-lap video captured using the "Track Recorder" function in the TORQUE App:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaUnjceYxc

Gauges read from left to right ~ SPEED, REVS, COOLANT, INTAKE TEMP & AIR TEMP (Ambient Track Temp was approx 95*)

Sorry about the crappy sound (windows open) from the cell phone mic... Enjoy!

EDIT ~ RPM Gauge default setting was 7,000 PRM... Had to change it to 8,000 after watching the video...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
07SGT0547 said:
I have TORQUE for my Galaxy S II phone and it works great... Especially for the $$$...

BT enabled OBD sensor plugs in, right above left shin... Can get in the way, but if you are aware of it, then no problem...

Gauges can be configured numerous ways (Round Dial, Half-Round Dial, Numbers only, Dial & Nimbers, etc)...

Spent $20 for OBD, $5 for the APP and $25 for the Mount... Best $50 I have ever spent on a car...

Same here. Best bang for the buck, for sure.

5 DOT 0 said:
Interesting discussion. I use and Aeroforce gauge plugged into my OBD connector. If you want to run more than one device you can use a splitter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TMCX72/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A1C2436WDJ39HA

Will the AeroForce gauge display engine oil pressure in our cars? Do you have it installed In an A-pillar gauge pod?

Highpower11 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Will the AeroForce gauge display engine oil pressure in our cars? Do you have it installed In an A-pillar gauge pod?

Aeroforce makes an oil pressure sender that you have to install if you want to get oil pressure. I got the Roush driver's side AC vent mount since I only have a single gauge.

fduboss302 said:
Highpower11 said:

Aeroforce makes an oil pressure sender that you have to install if you want to get oil pressure. I got the Roush driver's side AC vent mount since I only have a single gauge.
Same setup here with no oil pressure sensor.

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
07SGT0547 said:

Same here. Best bang for the buck, for sure.

So let me see if I got this straight. You filmed that video using your android phone and the torque app overlays on that? You write the video to an SD card or something,
and suction cup the phone mount? Wow. pennies on the dollar compared to other setups. What window suction cup mount did you use? I have the Samsung Stratosphere, which is similar to SII. Also, where did you get the ODB sensor plugs? I don't even know what that is yet...

thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For my videos, I use the android app "Trackmaster" to get timing and positioning information for the videos. I shoot the videos using a couple of Cisco Flip cameras, then overlay the Trackmaster data later at home. It's a bit more involved than say, a $1000 Traqmate system, but it doesn't cost $1000.

I don't usually run Torque at the track unless I'm interested in monitoring some PID, but it's a very useful app. The video cam on my phone (Samsung Captivate) always comes out distorted so I don't use the phone for video. Also the laptime information provided by Trackmaster is more important for me than the vehicle data provided by Torque, 95% of the time when I'm on-track.

Maui
Highpower11 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

I have the aeroforce dual gauges in a dual sos A pillar pod. I also purchased an oil pressure sender to tap into the engine. You will need to do a tee setup so you can plug in the new oil pressure sender and the stock oil pressure sensor to the engine block. Also would need a 5 volt regulator since the oil pressure sender runs on 5v...

Sesshomurai

Got the garmin today, running its mechanic app. Pretty sweet. I got my android phone mounted in an airvent clip showing me real time gauges of the motor.
Not sure how to get more than the two stacked gauges though. Anyone know how to add a few to the same dashboard? I read the manual. no luck.

After reading this thread I wound up buying the torque app along the the blue tooth obd adaptor.
I read how some of the knock offs won't work so after a Google search bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KL0I9I/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-6455269-9858418?ref_=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_1
And it works on the boss, well I had a few minutes before I headed out in my other vehicle, which I tried it on, Ford escape, which also works. I just need to set up the screens to my liking now.

Sesshomurai

Update on this.

I used the Garmin enroute HD app. I set it to record the car's computer data for my lap session (i'll post the entire summary).
I used 5 gallons on a 35 minute run. Hehe.

But it had my top speed at 126.7 on the backstretch at Summit, I clearly looked at my speedometer and it read 135mph.
Stock rims and tires.....should I be concerned here? That's nearly 10mph difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors