The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BMO Goes To SEMA 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big red one said:
You have all seen the car and driver cover with the 2015 Mustang, in the text it says that Ford are going to take the wraps of it next week, im thinking thats sema

could be a world first!

ian
I think they were referring to a media event that supposedly happened last week. It would be very unusual for Ford to debut a new model at SEMA. Look for it to be displayed at the New York auto show in December.

rick

i would like some close up shots of the nitto red mustang grille

specifically how the mounted the horse in the center

thanks

GOT SVT said:
rick

i would like some close up shots of the nitto red mustang grille

specifically how the mounted the horse in the center

thanks
i saw lots of the cars I've posted here but didn't make it to the Nitto display today. I will tomorrow. I have lots of photos but be patient. Lots if really cool stuff here and I did meet up with a couple of BMO members.

I'm back with lots of photos and info. That Pony emblem is held on with a metal bracket coming from above the emblem. I have a photo but it doesn't show much.

Over the next week I'll post lots of photos from the show in separate threads including:

Hot tire models
Dampers
Hot tire models
Brakes
Hot tire models
Tires
Hot tire models
Mustangs and other Fords
Hot tire models
Other cars
Hot tire models
Other cool stuff

You get the idea. ;)

Seriously there was some really cool stuff but not all of it is Mustang related. But I do have some scoop on new tires coming out that I'll share.

Other Cool Items From SEMA 2013

Ok this was the coolest thing at SEMA for me. What is it? It's a Cosworth N/A V8 F1 engine. It's based on their V10 engine that was tested at race conditions to withstand 20,000 RPM's! The V8 used in F1 revs to 18,000 but that's because F1 won't allow engines that rev higher. I believe it's a 2.4 liter with a flat plane crank like what is rumored to be in the 2016 GT350. They said the vibration was so bad that they had to add several counter balancing pieces to keep it from shaking apart. That wasn't an issue with the V10 due to the crank configuration.

IMG_1403_zpsa218a787.jpg
IMG_1404_zps60c5cf80.jpg

Here's another F1 engine for your kitchen or man cave. This is a titanium and aluminum espresso machine made in Italy of course. It used pods to make the espresso. It's also available with carbon fiber pieces and comes in 8, 10 or 12 cylinder versions. It comes with matching piston cups. I asked him how much retail is and you should have seen my poker face when he told me. Guess how much it cost?

IMG_1475_zps20b346ae.jpg
IMG_1476_zpsc981824a.jpg

Brakes From SEMA 2013

I'm no expert on this but I did spend a lot of time talking to both Brembo and Stoptech reps at SEMA earlier this week. Other than product specific questions they were both very consistent in their message about larger rotors and calipers. In general there is no improvement in stopping distances by using a larger rotor or more pistons in the caliper if you're talking the same quality. Your braking is limited by your tires and their contact with the road. Our stock brakes are quite capable of stopping our cars very effectively....at least once. Both reps focused on braking consistency whether it's your first lap or 100th. And that's where the larger rotors and forged calipers with larger pads come in. All of their conversation focused on heat dissipation. The larger rotors dissipate heat better than smaller rotors as do larger pads that are used in six piston calipers. Also our calipers are cast while race or higher quality street calipers are forged. Forged aluminum dissipates heat better than cast. Two piece rotors dissipate heat better than a one piece. Also by using larger pads in six piston calipers and larger rotors your brakes should last longer. So while there might be increased initial costs with this setup you will gain some of this back by not having to change pads or rotors as often. My comments aren't meant to be definitive but I'm conveying my interpretation of what they told me. There are lots of variables to this of course.

Regarding the GT500 six piston calipers compared to ours the rep, who seemed to know our street cars well but not what is on the 302 S/R cars, unequivocally stated the GT500 is a better caliper and should be a nice upgrade for our cars. So for the price this would be a nice upgrade. They are still not at the caliber of the race calipers though. I hope that helps.

BTW when I asked the Stoptech rep about their brake fluid and who makes it he commented that there are only two manufacturers of brake fluid in the US so I had a 50/50 chance of getting it correct. ;)

Brembo Pro

IMG_1395_zps19436052.jpg

Stoptech Trophy 4 & 6 piston calipers

IMG_1401_zpseb1de06a.jpg
IMG_1402_zpsda12fe56.jpg

Baer rear disc setup with parking brake for our cars. Kenny Brown uses this kit. Nobody was at the booth so I don't have any info on these.

IMG_1477_zps17251456.jpg
IMG_1478_zps6da12351.jpg
IMG_1479_zps17324a2b.jpg
IMG_1480_zpsce107231.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Ok this was the coolest thing at SEMA for me. What is it? It's a Cosworth N/A V8 F1 engine. It's based on their V10 engine that was tested at race conditions to withstand 20,000 RPM's! The V8 used in F1 revs to 18,000 but that's because F1 won't allow engines that rev higher. I believe it's a 2.4 liter with a flat plane crank like what is rumored to be in the 2016 GT350. They said the vibration was so bad that they had to add several counter balancing pieces to keep it from shaking apart. That wasn't an issue with the V10 due to the crank configuration.

IMG_1403_zpsa218a787.jpg
IMG_1404_zps60c5cf80.jpg

Here's another F1 engine for your kitchen or man cave. This is a titanium and aluminum espresso machine made in Italy of course. It used pods to make the espresso. It's also available with carbon fiber pieces and comes in 8, 10 or 12 cylinder versions. It comes with matching piston cups. I asked him how much retail is and you should have seen my poker face when he told me. Guess how much it cost?

IMG_1475_zps20b346ae.jpg
IMG_1476_zpsc981824a.jpg

14900$ for the expresso machine :D :D

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I was reading on the car mags sites and read about a Fusion that I'd love to have based on the SE. Said they swapped turbos and added an exhaust good for 400 hp and 350 lbft. Sounds like an SVT Fusion, finally, if Ford would just adopt it. If they did, they'd definitely have to up the power on the SHO to 425ish I'd say.

Makes me want to get a Fusion SE (w/ AWD if available) and do the swap myself. Talk about a great 'family fun' car.

TMO Supporting Vendors